Friday, January 7, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 7, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

I think it would be near impossible to stand perfectly still while actively competing for tons of money. The adrenaline alone would make you want to move.

From personal experience, being seated in a competitive endeavor like this makes it easier to stay still. But even in auditions it was really weird working the signaling device while not moving anything else.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The rocking seems like a pretty common reaction to nerves. I've seen plenty of contestants do it over the years to varying degrees.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Golf wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:46 pm From personal experience, being seated in a competitive endeavor like this makes it easier to stay still.
The contestants were seated on the original version of J!. (I remember my mother being concerned, when the current version premiered, about the contestants having to stand up for the entire half-hour.)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

floridagator wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:40 pm Sean wasn't tittering. He was teetering. Rocking from side to side.
He was teeter-tittering, I guess. Little giggles here and there. But, yes, I noticed the rocking back and forth, like a metronome. Seems like about one person a week does that.

During the interview, he was also almost in profile. But I think that was because he was third chair and Ken might have missed his mark for that segment and gotten too close to Amy.
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm The rocking seems like a pretty common reaction to nerves. I've seen plenty of contestants do it over the years to varying degrees.
I'm getting older. I used to teeter; now I totter.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:13 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm The rocking seems like a pretty common reaction to nerves. I've seen plenty of contestants do it over the years to varying degrees.
Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:13 pm
Just as long as you don't dodder.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:39 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:56 pm I loved Amy's revelation about My-zulled for misled. My read/speak dichotomy came from knowing about a "fa-saud" as a false front for a person, and a "fack -kade" (spelled facade) for the front of a building. I didn't square this up for a decade. I also mentally sounded "inevitable" as "in -ee-veetable" before finally hearing it and connecting the dots.
I remember starting to read "2001" and thinking 'warthog' was pronounced 'war-thog'. A few pages later, I figured it out, though.

[
My own example of this is infrared. For a long time as a child I thought it was in 2 syllables...I'm sure I heard it pronounced more than once before I connected it with the written word...
Also, even though I'm not dyslexic, for a while as a kid I thought there was an insult, Iodot!, with a long I...I remember I came across the word reading an Archie comic book. (IIRC, Principal Weatherbee was speaking about Jughead. Were even comic book educators able to get away with that in the 60s?) It was a while before I realized I'd mixed up some vowels... :oops: