Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 am As for Melissa, a guess is better than leaving it blank, no matter how bad that guess is.
It's certainly a common female name from within SJP's lifetime. If you can't come up with anything, might as well throw something out there.

I totally guessed on Annie, thinking of "Annie Get Your Gun." The little orphan Annie didn't even cross my mind.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm
Jeopardy is broken. It isn't supposed to be one super champ after another.
Jeopardy hasn't changed. How do you think it should be "fixed" if it's "broken"?
davey

Post by davey »

Danmel wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:22 pm All I could think of for Sarah Jessica Parker was "How to Succed in Business " which I saw her in with Matthew Broderick before they were married, probably in the late eighties but I couldn't remember her character's name.
Her name was Rosemary. It seems likely that the awkward a show that ran more than 2 years was there to avoid an argument that Rosemary and Rose are close enough...That revival and the original Gypsy both ran less than 2 years. But citing "title roles" would have done the elimination too...And would have eliminated Gypsy for anybody...everybody, right?...who knows that's not the role Merman played. Leaving Annie as Merman's other most famous role.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

mikebdoss wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:57 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm
Jeopardy is broken. It isn't supposed to be one super champ after another.
Jeopardy hasn't changed. How do you think it should be "fixed" if it's "broken"?
Something has changed. It could be the contestant screening is off because of the pandemic. It could be the writing is off because of the pandemic. Jeopardy used to be written by the writers as a group and I suspect now they're doing more of their writing individually.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Anyone able to explain why 'tailspin' was accepted?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 pm Anyone able to explain why 'tailspin' was accepted?
Why would it not?

Definition of tailspin
1 : spin sense 2a
3 : a sustained and usually severe decline or downturn
// stock prices in a tailspin

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spin
2a : an aerial maneuver or flight condition consisting of a combination of roll and yaw with the longitudinal axis of the airplane inclined steeply downward
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 pm Anyone able to explain why 'tailspin' was accepted?
Sometimes used of the stock market, it's a plunge by an aircraft with the forward part pointing down

The stock market portion is fine by you? I'm guessing it's the aircraft part you have more of a dispute with?

A plane hits the ground or water all spun around and out of control with the tail in front and slamming first? Perhaps not typical, but is it impossible? J! wanting to be fair to Amy (or any contestant) decided to accept it. Nosedive is clearly better, but I'm not one to deem Amy completely wrong.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If a plane is in a tailspin, is the forward part pointing down?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 pm If a plane is in a tailspin, is the forward part pointing down?
It may be named for the rear part, but when I picture a tailspin, the plane's definitely got the forward part facing down.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 pm If a plane is in a tailspin, is the forward part pointing down?
It certainly could be (and more than likely is).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

da Doctah wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:11 am
I'm very surprised that nobody even wanted to guess the "dark" name of the first postage stamp.
I guessed "Black Jenny", conflating, I guess, Inverted Jenny and Penny Black.

I suspect davey has it as to why the FJ was so awkwardly weighted down, but if that presentation was the best they could do, better to scrap the clue altogether.
I'm smart and I want respect.