Daily Box Scores bugs discussion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Daily Box Scores bugs discussion

Post by Robert K S »

There does not seem to be consistency in how longest streaks are counted in the box scores. Do they include control of the board after Triple Stumpers, or not?

Looking at the box score for Thursday's game, Show #8554, aired, January 13, 2022, the published box score reports Cory as having a Jeopardy! Round longest streak of 2 and Amy as having a DJ! Round longest streak of 11. These can't both be correct.

Either Triple Stumpers count as part of a control streak, and Cory's longest J! Round streak is 3 (not 2 as reported), because he had control after Jeopardy! Round clues 12, 13, and 14, or Triple Stumpers do not count as part of a control streak, and Amy's longest DJ! streak is 4 (not 11 as reported), because she had control after Double Jeopardy! Round clues 24, 25, 26, 27, and her streak between clues 11 and 21 of the Double Jeopardy! Round was interrupted by Triple Stumpers at clues 14 and 18.

The most plausible explanation is that there's a typo and Cory's longest streak should have been reported as 3 for the Jeopardy! Round in this game. Similarly, Amy's Jeopardy! Round longest streak should be reported as 7 instead of 6.

In the daily box score for the January 12 game, Emma is reported as having a longest streak of two clues in the Jeopardy! Round, but Emma never had control of the board for more than one clue--after clues 2, 17, and 20. So this seems like an obvious error.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Daily Box Scores bugs discussion

Post by Robert K S »

It seems strange that Amy would have a "-$8,000" as her net Daily Double take in Thursday's daily box score, when she actually made +$8,000. Sure, that minus sign could be serving as a divider, and the notation for contestants who really do lose money on Daily Doubles involves shading the wager value a different color, but it still seems to me like the minus sign is a mistake.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 pm It seems strange that Amy would have a "-$8,000" as her net Daily Double take in Thursday's daily box score, when she actually made +$8,000. Sure, that minus sign could be serving as a divider, and the notation for contestants who really do lose money on Daily Doubles involves shading the wager value a different color, but it still seems to me like the minus sign is a mistake.
Looking at Wednesday, I think it's just a hyphen and not a minus sign, but I agree that it's not the best choice of separator. Perhaps a colon would make more sense.

I don't know if I'd call it a bug, but I think a contestant who wagers zero in FJ! and gets it wrong should have a red rather than a blue zero as a visual indicator that they did not give the correct response. (This happened on 1/13/22.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The key indicates that the abbreviation for "Final Jeopardy!" is "FJ", but the rest of the box score uses "FJ!" (with an exclamation mark) as the abbreviation for "Final Jeopardy!"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The January 31, 2022 daily box score shows Jay as having a longest control streak of 3 in the J! Round. It's true he ended the round with three correct responses, but that results in only a control streak of 2 clues, since control streaks start before the first clue of the round and cannot include the control state after the last clue of the J! Round, when control (potentially) is transferred to a different player for the start of the DJ! Round. Similarly, Matthew is assigned a longest DJ! Round control streak of 7. I think it should be 6. He got clue 22 right in the DJ! Round and maintained control until when the round ended after the 28th clue of the round. So, he had control to pick clues 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28. (Four of those clues were Triple Stumpers.) That's six clues. His control vanished as soon as the end-of-round signal sounded.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In the February 14, 2022 game, the box score reported Dave as having a Double Jeopardy! Round longest (control) streak of 7. Dave was in control from before clue 17 through before clue 25. That's 9 clues, not 7. Clues 17, 20, 21, and 23 were Triple Stumpers.

The box score also reported Carrie as having a longest DJ! control streak of 2. Although she got two clues correct at the end of DJ!, that streak of correct responses did not improve her control streak past 1, because control was terminated before the conclusion of the last clue of the round. I've discussed this bug in the way the official box scores count control streaks in my above posts. The concept of "control" is something that should be counted before the start of any given clue and not after the end of it. Control of the board starts with the player who selects the first clue of the round, before the first clue is read, irrespective of whether the selecting player gets that first clue right or not. Because "control" starts before a single clue is read, it does not make sense for control to persist after the last clue is read. By counting "control" as something that starts before the first clue yet also persists after a clue, including after the last clue, you could theoretically end up with the nonsensical result of a 31-clue control streak in a round having only 30 clues.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:16 pmBy counting "control" as something that happens after a clue, you could theoretically end up with the nonsensical result of a 31-clue control streak in a round having only 30 clues.
That's true only if you change the definition of "control" during the game, right? If it's always after the clue, you can only have control from after clue 1 until after clue 30, which is a 30-clue streak. That said, I agree that before is the correct way to calculate control.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:29 pm That's true only if you change the definition of "control" during the game, right?
I edited my post with slightly clearer wording.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The first version of the box score for tonight's game seems to inaccurately indicate, at the bottom line,
Spoiler
that the returning champion won.