Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

John Boy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:17 pm I for one will not be taking part in the Lindblad-J! Alaska sweepstakes. If I want to spend 8 days in that kind of weather I can take a walk around my neighborhood in suburban Cleveland. I know we didn't get walloped as hard as a lot of other places, but for sure it's close enough.
I spent five hours shoveling my near west side driveway and now my back and neck are a disaster.

This may not be the most snow we've ever had, but it's the most in one night since I moved into a house with a driveway that spans the whole length of the lot.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No comment yet on Amy's misspelling?

And with that kind of buzzer mastery (74%!), it's going to be hard for anyone else to get in.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 pm I spent five hours shoveling my near west side driveway and now my back and neck are a disaster.

This may not be the most snow we've ever had, but it's the most in one night since I moved into a house with a driveway that spans the whole length of the lot.
Ooof. When my parents moved from Southern California to New Jersey in 1967, they bought a nice house on the corner. They had never experienced snow and were unaware of the rule that each homeowner had to keep their area of sidewalk clear--i.e. for a corner house, the front AND side. My mother still remembers days where it was just too cold to get the mail. The mailbox was attached to the house, just to the right of the front door.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Are they breaking out the easy FJ!s now just to make me feel better after finally snapping my hideously long losing streak?
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

Personal best of 49 correct answers for me tonight. Anyone else think this was an easy board, or am I improving? :D
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

I thought I heard Schneider say Moyer for Muir.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PeteMoss wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 pm I thought I heard Schneider say Moyer for Muir.
To me, I heard Amy say it like, "Mwir".

Amy also had what I call the other pronunciation of Hiroshima.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Lach Trash: Bohemia, Larry Holmes, Lake Huron, Hedy Lamarr

DD: Gray's Anatomy

FJ: :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm The mailbox was attached to the house, just to the right of the front door.
First house I lived in had that type. All others have been the roadside-type.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm The mailbox was attached to the house, just to the right of the front door.
I was required to purchase and install a roadside mailbox for our mailman when I moved in. I did not appreciate the requirement. I hope that he did. :D
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:57 pm No comment yet on Amy's misspelling?
I did notice it. I would not pronounce Amy's spelling the same way as the correct response, but there are enough words where an "a" has a sound similar to "au" that I don't have a problem with it. The first one I thought of was "Lara Croft".
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

DysonSphere wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:12 pm Personal best of 49 correct answers for me tonight. Anyone else think this was an easy board, or am I improving? :D
The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

Congrats.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm
You can look up an address on the USPS website and find out whether it has rural or City Delivery. If the carrier route number starts with c, the address has City Delivery and a house mounted box. If the carrier route starts with r, it's rural delivery with a curbside mailbox.

I want Amy gone. I want the 5 game rule brought back. Or maybe a 10-game rule. Some kind of rule anyway. This is ridiculous.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

NFL spoiler:
Spoiler
I watched the Ram/Cardinals fiasco instead of the Amy/random contestants version. Wildcard weekend usually sucks but I knew the Niners would take out the 'Boys, and I am hoping they Schneiderize the Pack next weekend.
I played the FJ here, and also detoured through Einstein with the 1905 date. I couldn't see Special Relativity, so went to Brownian motion and almost settled on "photon" from the photoelectric effect paper. (TIL he didn't coin the name, although he introduced the notion). I then gave up on Einstein and quickly came to T-Rex from the clue content. My get is slightly tainted because I saw it was a triple get before I played it, and this knowledge helped me jump from Einstein to a more populist choice.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Larry Holmes a TS?? *sigh* Dedicated Sherlockian that I am, there was no problem with that category. Since Amy had a runaway, it wasn’t an issue, but that FJ was a complete softball (unless, I guess, if 1905 sends you to Einstein).
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 pm

You can look up an address on the USPS website and find out whether it has rural or City Delivery. If the carrier route number starts with c, the address has City Delivery and a house mounted box. If the carrier route starts with r, it's rural delivery with a curbside mailbox.

This is not true.
Leander

Post by Leander »

bomtr wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:36 am
floridagator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 pm

This is not true.
Right. In the interest of efficiency, in my town all mailboxes are now required to be curbside. However, this has been implemented gradually over many years by requiring houses with house mounted boxes or slots to put up a curb box when the house changes ownership. So we have many streets with a mix of house and curb boxes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Our mail comes through a slot in our door. A few weeks ago, the mail came, and I bent down to pick it up. As I was doing so, more mail came through the slot and hit me in the head.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

And the correct answer to the sweepstakes question is:
AWARDS AROUND THE WORLD
Is Jeopardy! watching the same episodes we are?
As Leander noted upthread, you don't have to get the right answer (even what they think is the right answer) to apply for the sweepstakes.
Crazy stuff.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Amy, usually strong at pop culture, didn’t get in on any of the musical groups clues. Perhaps that gave one a glimmer of hope that we were in for a close game. Alas, once she got her buzzer mojo going, it was smooth sailing…