Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 am Our mail comes through a slot in our door. A few weeks ago, the mail came, and I bent down to pick it up. As I was doing so, more mail came through the slot and hit me in the head.
This works best in black and white with the film slightly sped up and some jaunty piano playing.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:46 pm
... The FJ! clue will have me all alone with a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I wrote theory of relativity and never once during think time realized how wrong I was even with the obvious staring at me.
Guess I only one around here capable of an ugly knee-jerk response... I had the exact same non-thought process.

Meanwhile, unlike you and practically everyone else on here, I am on a super-cold streak in FJ's.... My last correct was 12/24.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Really? Not even a WAG from anyone on Lake Huron? As someone who actually lives on the Sunrise Side, I'm disappointed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 pm Really? Not even a WAG from anyone on Lake Huron? As someone who actually lives on the Sunrise Side, I'm disappointed.
Erie is also on the east coast of Michigan...I know, I know, it's probably more like 95/5 rather than 50/50 but I didn't like the odds

To think I missed Mercury even after reading this...
https://jalopnik.com/a-1951-mercury-jus ... 1848377417

This also appears to be the image used in the photo: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/351210470938362262/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 pm Really? Not even a WAG from anyone on Lake Huron? As someone who actually lives on the Sunrise Side, I'm disappointed.
I would've gotten it on a DD, but I felt it was safer to clam on a regular clue. Reviewing that geography is definitely something I would do if I got the call.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm The mailbox was attached to the house, just to the right of the front door.
First house I lived in had that type. All others have been the roadside-type.
You can look up an address on the USPS website and find out whether it has rural or City Delivery. If the carrier route number starts with c, the address has City Delivery and a house mounted box. If the carrier route starts with r, it's rural delivery with a curbside mailbox.
Almost thirty years ago in Colorado, new suburban subdivisions stopped getting house-mounted boxes. One bank of curbside boxes per block. Check the photo of the "Cluster Box Unit" in this Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralized_mail_delivery

You'll see those dotted throughout all our neighborhoods. We moved into a typical suburban cul de sac in 1994, and our box was about 200 feet from our door.

We also purchased a new home in Cheyenne in 1977, within city limits in another typical suburban subdivision. No house-mounted boxes. We were required to install a curb side box by the driveway so the carrier could deliver by vehicle instead of walking. Here's the house 45 years later.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4318+ ... 04.7509545

The neighborhood is looking a little run down and it's a different box and post, but the carrier still delivers to the same location.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.