Monday, January 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, January 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm I got this FJ instantly, but I remember that I used to think it was called the "Field Museum" because it displayed artifacts found in "the field." Not sure when I realized it was actually named for Marshall Field, but it had to be a bit of a facepalm at the time.
I'm in Chicagoland, and there's a lovely forest preserve west of the city called Waterfall Glen. Imagine my shock the day I learned it was named after a county official called Seymour "Bud" Waterfall.
Because you always figured his nickname would be "Glen"!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm I got this FJ instantly, but I remember that I used to think it was called the "Field Museum" because it displayed artifacts found in "the field." Not sure when I realized it was actually named for Marshall Field, but it had to be a bit of a facepalm at the time.
I'm in Chicagoland, and there's a lovely forest preserve west of the city called Waterfall Glen. Imagine my shock the day I learned it was named after a county official called Seymour "Bud" Waterfall.
Good thing it's not fully named for him, because if it was named "Seymour Waterfall", everyone would go there looking for the rest of it...
I'll see myself out.
I think there's a stream with a waterfall, but I wonder whether it's a natural feature. I've biked a gravel trail there, and we've taken the dog, but not often. Argonne National Lab is nearby.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:54 pm
Because you always figured his nickname would be "Glen"!
Or--as a tribute to TLC--Chase.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

They missed a golden opportunity to go with Seymour "Butts" Waterfall.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Threadjack!!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:19 pm
Good thing it's not fully named for him, because if it was named "Seymour Waterfall", everyone would go there looking for the rest of it...
I'll see myself out.
I think there's a stream with a waterfall, but I wonder whether it's a natural feature. I've biked a gravel trail there, and we've taken the dog, but not often. Argonne National Lab is nearby.
I guess I'll see myself back in

I've heard of Black, Yellow, and Chocolate Labs, but not an Argonne National Lab...what color fur does that dog of yours have?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:19 pm
I'll see myself out.
I guess I'll see myself back in

I've heard of Black, Yellow, and Chocolate Labs, but not an Argonne National Lab...what color fur does that dog of yours have?
Toffee, I'd say. Here are the results of his rigorous training.

Seriously. With all due respect to the formidable Amy S., we need to start seeing some more competitive games. What have we become?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm

Seriously. With all due respect to the formidable Amy S., we need to start seeing some more competitive games. What have we become?
Since 2004 Jeopardy has had four super duper champions with 30+ games won. Almost all the games with super dupers aren't competitive. I enjoy their games as it is interesting to watch a truly dominant all time great champion. It's a rare occurrence. Players like Jennings and Holzhauer become reference points and help define the game. Without them the world of J! would be less. I enjoy it while it lasts. The 1985 Bears only had that one season, and they were a great watch.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:48 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm
Since 2004 Jeopardy has had four super duper champions with 30+ games won. Almost all the games with super dupers aren't competitive. I enjoy their games as it is interesting to watch a truly dominant all time great champion. It's a rare occurrence. Players like Jennings and Holzhauer become reference points and help define the game. Without them the world of J! would be less. I enjoy it while it lasts. The 1985 Bears only had that one season, and they were a great watch.
Agreed. I meant to imply that watching so many fish-in-a-barrel games might have contributed in some way to our wayward discourse in this thread. ;)
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

One of my favorite questions to ask people I'd like to take down a peg is who invented the Polaroid Land Camera.

Another one is what fast food chain was founded by Glen Bell.

And then in one of my TDs I asked how the Floating Hospital for Children got its name and you'd be surprised at how many contestants resisted going for the obvious answer because they were afraid it had been endowed by Lucius and Isabel Floating.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The visiting locker room at the football stadium at the University of Alabama is called the Fail Room. The room was renovated a few years ago thanks to a donation from James Fail.