Jeopardy! National College Championship

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy! National College Championship

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

As most of you know, the National College Championship is airing next month from the 8th until the 22nd in prime time on ABC, and Mayim is hosting the tournament. The differences from this tourney and the College Championship on the regular syndicated series are that there are 36 undergrad students playing for $250,000; and each episode will be an hour long (as was the case with G.O.A.T. two years ago) instead of the usual half-hour. The regular CC on the other hand has 15 students playing for $100,000 and a spot in the next ToC. Now, I have two questions about this new tournament:

• Is it going to replace the College Championship on the daily syndicated series?
• Will the winner play in the Tournament of Champions?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy! National College Championship

Post by triviawayne »

Why wouldn't it?
Why wouldn't they? (unless this is still some sort of team format)
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:38 pm Why wouldn't it?
Why wouldn't they? (unless this is still some sort of team format)
I have a hard time believing it being a team format (especially in the same sense as the All-Star Games back in Season 35) if it's going to be 36 students from 36 different colleges and universities.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'm guessing, but based on the dates. 11 one hour episodes, or 22 games.

36 college contestants. 12 games, that gives you 12 winners and 3 wild cards that advanced to the round with 15

Regular 15 person tournament. There are 10 games.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Sherm wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:06 pm I'm guessing, but based on the dates. 11 one hour episodes, or 22 games.

36 college contestants. 12 games, that gives you 12 winners and 3 wild cards that advanced to the round with 15

Regular 15 person tournament. There are 10 games.
This makes the most sense, though if I’m doing my calendar calculations correctly then the episode on Fri the 18th would (awkwardly?) consist of the last game of the 15-person quarterfinals and the first game of 9-person semifinals.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Note: the following I would consider to be informed speculation.

18 teams of 2 players, each representing the same school.

9 hour-long episodes (Remember, The Bachelor airs on ABC Mondays and that ain't moving.) Each episode is a self-contained match where one player from the team plays one half and the other plays the other half.

First 6 episodes: Quarterfinals, winners advance.
Next 2 episodes: Semifinals, winners + highest 2nd placed team advances
Last episode: Final.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the Jan. 31 - Feb. 13 issue of TV Guide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So now we know everyone is from a different college.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mayim is a Bruin? At least she does a good job of masking her disgust that USC got chosen and UCLA didn't!
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 pm So now we know everyone is from a different college.
If true, I don't understand how they intend to crown a school as champion...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:02 am Mayim is a Bruin? At least she does a good job of masking her disgust that USC got chosen and UCLA didn't!
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 pm So now we know everyone is from a different college.
If there are teams, maybe at some point they will be split into individuals?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I still don't think we can take that as gospel. That's a mistake carried over from other earlier reports.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:02 am Mayim is a Bruin? At least she does a good job of masking her disgust that USC got chosen and UCLA didn't!
Wouldn't they just consider each player to be representing their school? So, the winning school is the winning player's school. Seems pretty straightforward.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

waterloo_guy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 pm Wouldn't they just consider each player to be representing their school? So, the winning school is the winning player's school. Seems pretty straightforward.
You might be missing that it's teams of two.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm
waterloo_guy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 pm Wouldn't they just consider each player to be representing their school? So, the winning school is the winning player's school. Seems pretty straightforward.
You might be missing that it's teams of two.
Are you taking Ontario Quizzer's speculation as gospel? Or is there some other source for this team of two thing?
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

So, based on information from The Futon Critic (http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/jeop ... /listings/), there are 6 days of quarterfinals, 2 days of semifinals, and 1 day of finals.

Note: Ignore the description of the show on the right side of the page that comes from the initial ABC press release from last August. I think that ABC either described the plans for the tourney poorly or things changed since then. (One of the faults of The Futon Critic is that they do not update show descriptions when things change.) The TV guide info seems to make more sense when combined with the listing descriptions.

So, my guess is that it breaks downs into 12 quarterfinal games, with the 12 winners advancing to 4 semifinal games. The 4 semifinal winners would then advance to the finals which would either be a two-game 4-podium event, or a two-part final where the semifinal winner with the highest score gets a bye while the other 3 play a single with the top two players form that game playing a single game against the bye winner.

Also, based on the description of it being bracket-style (in the TV Guide article), I suspect the 36 players will be grouped into 4 brackets: (A, B, C, and D for lack of better names, although I guess that there will be some kind of logic to the brackets). You would then have 3 quarterfinal games for each bracket, with the 3 winners of each bracket advancing to that bracket's semi-final game. As a result, those semi-finals determine the winner of each of the 4 brackets who then compete in the finals.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

My theory is that when initially announced, this tourney was planned to be some kind of team tournament (with each member of the winning team getting $100,000). However, I think that it has changed to an individual tourney. There is certainly a change in the prize money based on this tweet from Mayim:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woo hoo! My alma mater is represented!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

waterloo_guy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:26 pm The 4 semifinal winners would then advance to the finals which would either be a two-game 4-podium event, or a two-part final where the semifinal winner with the highest score gets a bye while the other 3 play a single with the top two players form that game playing a single game against the bye winner.
The clunkiness of either of these alternatives is why I think the scheme Andy outlines is the more likely.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Surprising the show is being so secretive about the format.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Seeing as I can't see any reason for such secrecy, it's probably more just that they haven't gotten their PR machine in gear yet. The media blitz will probably launch this week.