Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by soxfan99 »

yclept wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:35 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:49 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:19 am Not to say that FJ wasn't fair, because it was, but I hate clues where you need to go through a mental list and hope you light upon the correct one before time runs out.
Agreed. I had the correct response before Ken was done reading the clue. But I could easily see spinning my wheels for the whole time. If the clue had been about the only country ending in K or in G, I would've been toast. And it's not like you can come up with a plausible guess and hope to get lucky on a clue like this. Either you come up with the country that ends in H or you don't.
Two ways for a contestant to perhaps get this right:
1. You get lucky and your brain automatically hits on a country that ends in H;
2. In your prep, you memorized the 10 most populous countries in the world.
There is almost zero chance you are going to be able to go through all the countries fast enough to land on the right answer. I think most people would instantly go to a continent first to narrow down the choices, and if you first go to Europe or Africa here, you are toast.
10th most populous doesn’t really help much if you didn’t study that fact. Hard to really land on Bangladesh as you mentally go through a list of population rich countries.
I don't think that's the case. You don't have to have all 10 memorized, but I'm sure almost everybody on J! knows the top 4. That only leaves 5 others that have more population than this. It's not going to be some super obvious country that you hear of all the time, because then the "end in -h" would trigger it quickly. Between end in -h and high population, you can rule out countries real fast.

My though process. "North and South America - very familiar with all those country's names and know none end in -h. Africa - Nigeria is biggest, doesn't end in -h, others are smaller. Europe - None are that big and familiar with the names. Gotta be somewhere in Asia [5 seconds elapsed]. The -stans are big in area. Are any spelled "-stanh"? No. What about small area but dense population. Sri Lanka? No. Bangladesh? Got it. [Plenty of time to write down response]
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:19 am Not to say that FJ wasn't fair, because it was, but I hate clues where you need to go through a mental list and hope you light upon the correct one before time runs out.
I think clues like today are the best type. Every single contestant on stage has a chance of getting it, few will get it instantly, but the greater your knowledge, the more likely you'll get it in the time allotted. I prefer that over a clue where somebody might just say, "Nope, this is outside my knowledge base. Give me two weeks and I'd never get it," or one that's, "This is a super easy fact. I have my answer written before the clue is being done being read."

If they just said, "This is the only country that ends in -h" it would be going through a mental list and hoping to hit the correct one, but the population aspect makes it much more than that.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:03 am Wading into this pile-on against my better judgment, but what makes this Veto poster a troll? I agree that telegraphing a discord AMA with an unknown was a bit of a spoiler, but why the vitriol?
Veto also decided to put spoilers in thread titles. I nuked the threads.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:53 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:03 am Wading into this pile-on against my better judgment, but what makes this Veto poster a troll? I agree that telegraphing a discord AMA with an unknown was a bit of a spoiler, but why the vitriol?
Got it! Carry on :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:03 am
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:21 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:11 pm Not a good look for a new champ and/or his posse. I wonder, thus, just how detailed/picky the contestant NDA is, and what kind of breach allows the show to claw back contestant winnings? Just speculating, but this looks more like how a 1-3 day champion would act, not someone who'll be around for three or more taping days.
I'm definitely no lawyer but this doesn't strike me as actionable because he never directly claimed to have won. There have been other contestants who have been over the top in promoting their upcoming appearances. I'd say a more obvious tell came from the show's own social media a few years ago. I noticed that the show's official Twitter account had followed Austin Rogers before he won any games.
You are probably right about that. But it doesn't reflect well on the new champ, as there would be no point in how his troll was acting unless the new champ violated confidentiality in his dealings with the troll. And if he himself is the troll, that doesn't reflect well, either. Probably not actionable, but certainly a reputational problem. But, as I speculated, probably something we'll forget about by next week, unless Jeopardy! producers follow through with the interesting idea of having a "giant-buster" Tournament of Champion-Defeaters at which he'll reappear.
Wading into this pile-on against my better judgment, but what makes this Veto poster a troll? I agree that telegraphing a discord AMA with an unknown was a bit of a spoiler, but why the vitriol?
Agreed. It's silly.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Wow. That JBoard handle is an actual heads-up for the mods! :lol:

As a parent, I always heard that Discord was a nightmare, so keep your middle schoolers away from it, etc.
Maybe Veto thrives in that forum, but I hope Rhone knows what he's dealing with.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am

As a parent, I always heard that Discord was a nightmare, so keep your middle schoolers away from it, etc.
Maybe Veto thrives in that forum, but I hope Rhone knows what he's dealing with.
Discord is a series of essentially chat rooms with advanced embedding function often connected to a product like a video game. A product developer will set up a group of rooms, and there are often active moderators. It's very good for customer support, product announcements and for arranging multi-player games.

I assume it can also be used for more dangerous purposes. As always with the internet, know what your kids are doing and with whom. They can get into trouble on the most innocuous sites. Or they could use something wide-open and known for bad behavior, like reddit, and only be looking at a subreddit that's perfectly fine.
BobF

Post by BobF »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm Finally, am the only one bothered by Ken pretty much telling Rhone he should make it a true Daily Double? I can’t recall Alex ever doing that but I could be wrong.
Full disclosure, I'm in the rooting for Amy to lose category, couldn't stand her voice and had pretty much skipped watching her games last couple of weeks.

That being said, I noticed there were times that Ken said something to help Amy out, at one point mentioning how much Amy could wager in FJ to win (something along the lines of "great total Amy, but you probably wish you had $2001 more").

She will be tough to beat, I think her buzzer game is her strength and as those of us who have discussed this game for years know, that is a huge part of the game play.

So, to summarize, it's just Ken being Ken. He's enthusiastic about the show and sometimes he'll say something that should probably go unsaid due to his passion. Life goes on.
Last edited by BobF on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:38 pm Congrats to Amy for winning 40 games and $1.3 million, and congrats to Rhone on winning his first match; but let's see if he will beat the odds and go on a winning streak of his own like Jonathan Fisher pulled off after defeating Matt Amodio
Yeah, that will be interesting. He doesn't look a thing like Nancy Zerg.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

soxfan99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 am I don't think that's the case. You don't have to have all 10 memorized, but I'm sure almost everybody on J! knows the top 4. That only leaves 5 others that have more population than this. It's not going to be some super obvious country that you hear of all the time, because then the "end in -h" would trigger it quickly. Between end in -h and high population, you can rule out countries real fast.
I was helped immensely by the fact that "most populous" took me right away to Asia, and I started looking around there. But it strikes me as the kind of clue that can derail a seasoned champ if they are just cycling through a list of country names.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BobF wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 am
Full disclosure, I'm in the rooting for Amy to lose category, couldn't stand her voice and had pretty much skipped watching her games last couple of weeks.
From the NYTimes article:

“I’ve got a more feminine voice when I really want to, and I’d sort of been planning on using that voice on TV,” she said. But she ultimately decided that consciously altering her voice could affect her gameplay and chose to speak in her usual register. She’s proud of that decision.

“Trans women watching can see me with my voice as it is and see me being OK with it,” she said.

Her voice had once been a source of dysphoria for Ms. Schneider, but now she is considering turning it into a career. She recently signed with the talent agency CAA and said that she’s interested in voice acting.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am

As a parent of a middle schooler, I can attest it is a hive of scum and villainy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm Finally, am the only one bothered by Ken pretty much telling Rhone he should make it a true Daily Double? I can’t recall Alex ever doing that but I could be wrong.

That being said, I noticed there were times that Ken said something to help Amy out, at one point mentioning how much Amy could wager in FJ to win (something along the lines of "great total Amy, but you probably wish you had $2001 more").
I'm curious what the actual exchange was because my recollection from last night is Ken saying he thought making it a TDD was the right choice after Rhone said he was going to do it. That certainly wouldn't be goading if that's how it went down.

edit: I see davey quoted the actual exchange a couple pages back. I've got no problem with it. As davey said, it was pretty much Ken stating the obvious. I'm sure Alex said things like "you're $5,000 behind the leader," which is more or less the same thing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BobF

Post by BobF »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:36 pm
As a parent of a middle schooler, I can attest it is a hive of scum and villainy.
Middle school or discord?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm

“I’ve got a more feminine voice when I really want to, and I’d sort of been planning on using that voice on TV,” she said. But she ultimately decided that consciously altering her voice could affect her gameplay and chose to speak in her usual register. She’s proud of that decision.

“Trans women watching can see me with my voice as it is and see me being OK with it,” she said.

Her voice had once been a source of dysphoria for Ms. Schneider, but now she is considering turning it into a career. She recently signed with the talent agency CAA and said that she’s interested in voice acting.
Imagine a person watching Jeopardy! and thinking "I hate her voice!" and then thinking "I should make sure I log on to a website where I haven't posted in two years and make sure EVERYONE knows I hate her voice! It's a very important and valuable opinion!"

That would be wild.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm

So many surprising tidbits in that article. For me, it was that she signed with CAA and she smokes. Head is still spinning. Her voice is her voice and if she can make money off it, good for her.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

BobF wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:22 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:36 pm
Middle school or discord?
Or parenthood? ;)
brick

Post by brick »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 pm
waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm I’m not sure that the Manning response required a BMS. The clue was specifically looking for a Colts QB, so Manning could only be Peyton Manning in that context.
But wouldn't this mean a BMS is never required? After all, the other possibilities are ruled out by specific details in the clue.
Not necessarily. Consider a clue about a US president where the correct response is Andrew Jackson. I think we can all agree that a response of "Jackson" would not require a BMS because he is the only US president with that last name. Or do you feel that there should be a BMS because of the existence of Stonewall Jackson and Michael Jackson?

The Manning clue was specifically looking for a Colts quarterback. Manning is a unique last name in that list. There is no need to give his first name, just as there would have been no need to give Unitas's first name in the $1000 clue in the category.

Now, if the clue had been "Trailing the Patriots 21-3 in the 2006 AFC title game, this quarterback took over and led his team to four second-half touchdowns in a seesaw 38-34 victory," I could definitely see asking for a BMS because the scope is NFL quarterbacks not quarterbacks of a specific team.

Overall, I think it can be a tricky call as to whether or not a BMS is required and it's hard for a little inconsistency not to sneak in.
But if the clue is about a US President and you say Roosevelt you will be asked to BMS. If it is about a football player, Manning should result in a BMS.
BobF

Post by BobF »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:35 pm
Imagine a person watching Jeopardy! and thinking "I hate her voice!" and then thinking "I should make sure I log on to a website where I haven't posted in two years and make sure EVERYONE knows I hate her voice! It's a very important and valuable opinion!"

That would be wild.
That's why it was under the "full disclosure" section because it wasn't my main point. The MAIN point was that there have been similar things that might have helped Amy. But thank you for being such an awesome nitpicker and/or stalker.

Full disclosure: My life has taken many twists and turns over the last 3 years.