Thursday, January 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, January 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 am Janice Hawthorne Timm would go in the Reuleaux triangle. (I'm really tickled to learn that the shape has a name.)
Technically anybody who can go in the triangle also goes in the three-petaled flower that expands out from the triangle. Does that shape have a name?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:12 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 am Janice Hawthorne Timm would go in the Reuleaux triangle. (I'm really tickled to learn that the shape has a name.)
Technically anybody who can go in the triangle also goes in the three-petaled flower that expands out from the triangle. Does that shape have a name?
It's close to a triquetra.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

"Crabs" should have absolutely been accepted for the 5- note melody 600 (C-sharp). Blue crab bodies definitely have sharp serrations, and anyone who goes into Phillips in Baltimore looking for "crab claws" will be looked at like they have four heads.
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:49 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:05 am Notes:
Rhone is the only player introduced as a librarian from Chicago to play a COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD FJ, so only Amy fits the green section thus far.
Janice Hawthorne Timm? Or are we only counting at least one game winners?
(I mean...there's likely more that can fit in all colors other than the center...err...*quick Google* Reuleaux triangle)
I totally overlooked her! She belongs in the center with Amy (in the original image), as has been established.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:39 pm "Crabs" should have absolutely been accepted for the 5- note melody 600 (C-sharp). Blue crab bodies definitely have sharp serrations, and anyone who goes into Phillips in Baltimore looking for "crab claws" will be looked at like they have four heads.
My wife, a central Pa. native who made many childhood trips to Baltimore for crabs, said the same as you.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

nserven wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:31 am
ParrotRob wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:39 pm "Crabs" should have absolutely been accepted for the 5- note melody 600 (C-sharp). Blue crab bodies definitely have sharp serrations, and anyone who goes into Phillips in Baltimore looking for "crab claws" will be looked at like they have four heads.
My wife, a central Pa. native who made many childhood trips to Baltimore for crabs, said the same as you.
Also in agreement as a person who has lived within an hour of Baltimore for 20 years.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah that was a bizarre choice. If you insist on requiring "crab claws", you need to give kind of alliteration hint, or if you just want "claws" then use crab in the clue.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:45 pm
Empty quoting you to tag you as the resident Archivist, I've listened to this a few times and Carrie definitely doesn't say "Stanley and Livingstone" as the Archive indicates. At first I just thought she was mixed up and was giving Stanley as a first name, but she does say "What is" rather than "Who is" so maybe she was naming the title of the film and either got tongue-tied and swallowed the "and" or, the audio does sound perhaps a bit clipped so maybe it got lost in editing for some odd reason.
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:36 pm
davey wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:09 pm
If she'd said "Who is Livingstone?" she'd have been correct. "Stanley" is used twice in the clue.
I forget, since Carrie responded with the wrong first name, can I repeat the last name for a get or do I have to correct her mistake with the right first name? I was assuming the former, since I'm not absolutely sure I'd have remembered "David." It's a little more understandable a lapse.
See? I got confused with no time limit, just trying to reconstruct my thoughts. (It feels like you and I have been trading off time in the Derp seat lately.) Yeah, I had the correct response initially. I really got thrown off by that wrong first name. I believe we've had instances where a last name only was not accepted after a wrong first name was provided. I even vaguely recall Alex at least once connecting the dots and saying, since N. gave an incorrect first name, we need the whole correct name from you. BUT my vague recollection was this was in the earlier days and in later games they HAVE accepted just the last name on rebound. Maybe one of our stats guys or color commentators will recall details that confirm or refute this.
We had a debate about this a few years back, I haven't dug up the thread yet but I recall econgator promising to commit harikari if he was wrong. Best as I can recall no one produced a smoking gun with evidence of a player being required to give first name after someone else gave a wrong one, but it was a thing a lot of us had a hazy recollection of so it's still possible this has happened and the evidence hasn't been produced yet.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:21 am ...
Empty quoting you to tag you as the resident Archivist, I've listened to this a few times and Carrie definitely doesn't say "Stanley and Livingstone" as the Archive indicates. At first I just thought she was mixed up and was giving Stanley as a first name, but she does say "What is" rather than "Who is" so maybe she was naming the title of the film and either got tongue-tied and swallowed the "and" or, the audio does sound perhaps a bit clipped so maybe it got lost in editing for some odd reason.
If she'd said "Who is Livingstone?" she'd have been correct. "Stanley" is used twice in the clue.
I forget, since Carrie responded with the wrong first name, can I repeat the last name for a get or do I have to correct her mistake with the right first name? I was assuming the former, since I'm not absolutely sure I'd have remembered "David." It's a little more understandable a lapse.
It was a tough call for me when archiving. Stanley Livingston the zookeeper of Tennessee Tuxedo was my reference for my JBoard comment while when entering the game the "What" made me go the movie title route. I also gave Carrie the benefit of the doubt with Livingstone with his E at the end. Perhaps she is a cartoon lover and knows nothing of the Tracey movie. So hard to know.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:53 am
It was a tough call for me when archiving. Stanley Livingston the zookeeper of Tennessee Tuxedo was my reference for my JBoard comment while when entering the game the "What" made me go the movie title route. I also gave Carrie the benefit of the doubt with Livingstone with his E at the end. Perhaps she is a cartoon lover and knows nothing of the Tracey movie. So hard to know.
It did not occur to me that she was naming the movie until this exchange, but now after relistening I think it's likely, thanks for catching that!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:53 am
It did not occur to me that she was naming the movie until this exchange, but now after relistening I think it's likely, thanks for catching that!
Here's what Carrie says:
It was saying the title of the movie- “Stanley and Livingston” (and then kicking myself for answering the wrong question)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:33 pm I didn't like Ken's pronunciation of "TGV trains" tonight. I would have said "tay jay vay" "tay zhay vay".
FWIW I've heard Ken default to pronouncing "TGV" the French way several times on his podcast now, so I'm thinking TPTB asked him to pronounce it the English way for this clue reading.