Thursday, January 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DysonSphere »

That might be the most difficult FJ I've ever seen. Nothing to go on except a connection to George Washington.

Respect to the players but some of those triple stumpers were difficult to watch. Nerves perhaps.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought the clue pointed to a painter in that era, but I thought it couldn’t be Stuart since he wasn’t Irish. Blanked on anyone else.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This FJ was a horrible turd of a clue. The best player won, but that doesn't excuse the ridiculous category name. Conspiracy theory of the day: The show assumed the streak would continue and wanted to save $50K from Amy's winnings.

I said the Frenchman Lafayette, as at least a name we can associate with a century. Too late of course, but he maybe had some chits to cash in. The name Stuart transcends a dozen centuries at least. In fairness, I probably don't pull his name if you ask who the dude was that painted GW, but I've known it once ago.

I like the suggestion for Ken to pronounce the TGV in a Frenchy style.

Thank you Rhone, for saving Jeopardy! I love your Mr. Potato Head glasses, but I'd be afraid to sport that 'stache with it :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm This FJ was a horrible turd of a clue. The best player won, but that doesn't excuse the ridiculous category name. Conspiracy theory of the day: The show assumed the streak would continue and wanted to save $50K from Amy's winnings.
I’ll see your conspiracy theory and raise you a logical question: anyone know how far in advance the boards are written.

I would guess there is a pool of games for each tape date and one is randomly selected…but just a guess on board selection
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm This FJ was a horrible turd of a clue. The best player won, but that doesn't excuse the ridiculous category name. Conspiracy theory of the day: The show assumed the streak would continue and wanted to save $50K from Amy's winnings.
I’ll see your conspiracy theory and raise you a logical question: anyone know how far in advance the boards are written.

I would guess there is a pool of games for each tape date and one is randomly selected…but just a guess on board selection
My conspiracy theory was almost opposite of what the show wants. Or that's what they want us to think :twisted:

I've read a decent discussion on this at some time about 3-4 years ago. I'm sure another boardie will ID it and point at it. Standards and Practices has somebody on tap. If I recall, they start the day (5 games/10 boards) with one full set (6 SJ and 6 DJ) of extra boards. Some random process throws out one of the day's worth of boards. I think the FJ's follow the paired boards and they are allowed to use "theme" boards (such as a holiday shoutout or movie/promotion) on the appropriate day.
I won't go any further because I don't know what I read, how good the info was, and how much of this is imaginary :). Our alumni contestants can fill in about order of play, but I think that is a lottery at the beginning of the day. Maybe they can keep identically named players from colliding as challengers?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Even more than the Pearl Buck 3-stump, I was surprised that no one could follow up with Livingstone when Carrie gave him the wrong first name...
It's nice to feel again that I would not be crushed if I was on that stage... :)
I realized FJ was referring to the famous painter of Washington, but I drew a blank on his name... :oops:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I couldn't think of anybody who made a fortune from George Washington and went with Astor as somebody who made a fortune around that time.

Interesting that cardinal was a response two games in a row. Referring to a bird both times.

I've gotten Pearl S. Buck clues in the past with no problem but I recently learned about Jean Auel and the Earth's Children books and got them mixed up this time.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:33 pm I didn't like Ken's pronunciation of "TGV trains" tonight. I would have said "tay jay vay".
I thought "hold on to your hats" suggested Panama, but I guess Frenchmen all wear berets.

I don't see Mach 2 as much of a milestone. I guessed Crossfield must have broken the taste barrier or the smell barrier.

G sharp, B natural, C sharp, E flat, and ? Was there still a chance for the Close Encounters theme? That's my go-to for a 5-note melody.

Evidently it is only since 2017 that the Associated Press has favored "naan" over "nan". I'm not much of a foodie but I know spinach isn't bread, so I opted for clam.

Since I alluded to him earlier, Washington's dentist was John Greenwood, who featured in this old FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm I said James Hoban.
So did I, and immediately thought it was too obscure for Jeopardy but couldn't come up with anything better.
I did too; however...
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I had absolutely *zero* idea how anyone would have made a fortune back then... Finally managed to blurt out "Augustus Busch" as the music ended.

Um.. painters can make fortunes? Who knew??
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm G sharp, B natural, C sharp, E flat, and ? Was there still a chance for the Close Encounters theme? That's my go-to for a 5-note melody.
The J6 was A sharp. So that leaves D and F...my guess would be F natural since it seems to be naturally rising from the clues. F sharp would be a 3rd sharp which seems unlikely and F flat would be E.

Also, no. The CE3K tune uses the same note twice, the second time just an octave lower.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33/59 right.

Lach Trash: gondolas, Yonkers, French Lick, Bette Midler, Livingstone, Pearl S. Buck, marriage

FJ: :( (Parson Weems)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Who could have possibly thought that was a good FJ clue?

Also so weird to see a clue left on the board.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

all but Final Jeopardy and the Opening Remarks(came back when responses were being revealed)todays ep was preempted by Bidens Remarks on Breyers Retirement. its not always great to get the early airing as shown by teh last 2 days. lol
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Finally got an FJ this week. Stuart was the only name I could associate with Washington in a non-military sense, so I went with that.
I thought it was an unwritten rule that anyone going on Jeopardy! has to know about Pearl Buck (she does seem to come up an awful lot)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:35 pm 57 R (Couldn't get French Lick and am not familiar with the film "Wild".)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
When's the last time you missed an FJ? I figured this was finally going to be the one to get you.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:33 pm I didn't like Ken's pronunciation of "TGV trains" tonight. I would have said "tay jay vay".
Only if you also use the "Paree" pronunciation in the middle of an otherwise-English sentence.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:39 am all but Final Jeopardy and the Opening Remarks(came back when responses were being revealed)todays ep was preempted by Bidens Remarks on Breyers Retirement. its not always great to get the early airing as shown by teh last 2 days. lol
Episode aire in its enterity at 2:07 am eastern on KTRK Houston
yclept

Post by yclept »

We certainly have become spoiled. This has not been the season for these types of games, though it did at least bring up intriguing wagering strategy. In that position, you almost have to go all in. But if you aren’t comfortable with the category. a wager of $0 is perfectly acceptable. Leaving a dollar on the board? That has been going on since Day 1 and it will never go away. Anyway, Sony probably appreciates the smaller check in a season where small checks haven’t been plentiful.

Unless Carrie is about to go on a streak, this will be the very rare non-footnote game for this season.

Does anyone know if there was a directive to try to get through all the material? It is just so rare nowadays to leave anything on the board.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

trainman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:19 am
Only if you also use the "Paree" pronunciation in the middle of an otherwise-English sentence.
I will defer to trainman on anything train-related, but I have never heard it pronounced "tee gee vee" by anyone before.

It's kind of like a "genre" thing, I guess.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm I said James Hoban.
So did I, and immediately thought it was too obscure for Jeopardy but couldn't come up with anything better.
I did too; however...
So, in other words, Hoban is ToC-level material.