Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Jaksiel »

I thought the FJ was very silly, though maybe it's just because I'm mad at myself. If you know Super Bowl III was played in 1969, you shouldn't have to do mental gymnastics to figure out the exact date it was played and whether the new President had taken office yet or not. (Yes, I said Nixon.)
DevBrown05
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by DevBrown05 »

My son, an avid Diary of A Wimpy Kid fan, says the question about the book on tonights show was factually wrong. I however did not hear the question but as I told him they would not have asked something that was wrong. Can anyone tell me what it was so we can check the facts?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board and the game in general were awful. I usually don't fault the contestants when the writers do a bad job, but there were some pretty egregious negs.

"Boson" is $2000 when spotted "Higgs," really!?

AP is correct about the FJ. It was awful for so many reasons: 1) The category should have implied that the event the clue described would be about politics or history, i.e. something the U.S. President would be actively involved with. Knowing how the J! writers can be I figured that this might not be the case, but I would expect the average person to think they were going to see a political or historical clue 2) It ended up being about sports 3) It was an extremely trivial sports clue 4) It was a trivial sports clue that was meant to confuse the contestants, if they were even able to get to the right month and year. Honestly, if it were up to me, the contestant who led going into FJ would be brought back and given another chance. Writing that is that low quality is absolutely inexcusable.

I kind of got FJ right by accident. I thought that the first Super Bowl was played in 1965, which would put Super Bowl III in 1967, which meant that LBJ would be the man. I figured that there was a catch but I had nothing to suggest a better possibility to me.

This clue wasn't so bad since the "Democrats" part should have made the answer easy, but the FJ clue and one of the clues that came up earlier in tonight's game reminded me of the FJ from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=308
Last edited by StevenH on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't think palm would get you a BMS, they are different trees, are they not?

Would Mrs. March have been acceptable for the mother of the girls?

Yes, he overbet in FJ. I was pondering over what he should bet during the commercial break, if I were in his shoes. If she makes the BMS, she falls to $8,999 if she is wrong, so his ideal wager would be $600 (or $599 to block her offer of a tie), which would give him a win if they are both wrong.

But this is one of my wheelhouse categories and would have been strongly tempted to go all in on this one, not even betting $7,200 to guarantee second place. After one win, an extra grand isn't that big a deal. Yes, it is easier to bet with someone else's money and Jeopardy! crown, but I think I might have thrown betting logic out the window on this one.

FJ was an instaget for me. I think we had this on one of our boardie games not too long ago, but would have gotten it anyway. If you knew the year, but not the date of the game itself, here's a good way to look at it. Why would they ask if there wasn't some trick to it?

And is that city in Rhode Island so well known it is top row material?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

For anyone wondering, the first 12 Super Bowls were all played before January 20th, and starting in 1979, every game was played January 20th or later. The reason for this is that in 1978 they not only expanded the regular season from 14 to 16 games, but they also added an extra round to the playoffs. Prior to that year there were 8 teams in the playoffs, so there were two weeks of games before the Super Bowl. Starting in 1978-79, there were 3 weeks of playoff games prior to the Super Bowl, but even so, until 2004 the Super Bowl was usually played between January 20th and 30th, so it's not like it moved all that much past the date of Presidential inauguration. If they wanted to be even trickier, they could have asked the same question about Super Bowl XV, which was played on January 25, 1981, or Super Bowl XXIII, which was played on January 22, 1989.

Now I am a huge football fan, and pretty darn solid on Presidential tenures, and even I had to give this one quite a bit of thought before locking in with LBJ. I knew it was 1969, and figured most people would know that, and I knew it was January, but then I had a bit of a "Whoa!" moment when I realized they were essentially asking us what date in January that Super Bowl was played. I would agree that is pretty darn trivial, as even if you know the game was played much earlier than it is now, it was only 8 days prior to the inauguration of Nixon, so it's not like it is really easy to know which side of that line the game fell. I was surprised that Carol would guess that Super Bowl III was played during the Presidency of JFK. I know many would often presume that a woman may not have much sports knowledge, but she had previously gotten Amos Alonzo Stagg, which I think is a much tougher get than placing the Jets/Colts Super Bowl in 1969.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

When I taped my game, Carol was one of the local Californians - the one that didn't get picked, obviously. I'm happy to see they got her back in pretty quickly in real time. And I think it was actually good for her - on my day, she seemed quite flustered (like she was clearly smart enough but her nerveswere going to sink her), but today she seemed very calm, together & in control. I'm glad she did so well, and sad she lost it on FJ.
I thought FJ was a good clue. Unfortunately I was confused on when the super Bowls started - I thought it was 1960 for some reason, knew they used to be in early January, figured it must actually have been 1961 (the 1960 season) and said Eisenhower. So I got the logic they were going for, but missed on the football part of the clue. (NFL is usually my best sport category.) At the last second I thought "Wait, they had it in Dallas just last year, and what number was that? 46, oh no, I can't do the math that fast but I know it doesn't land on early 60s... crap". (Oh and it was actually 45; 46 was on my mind from the most recent one.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote:
This clue wasn't so bad since the "Democrats" part should have made the answer easy, but the FJ clue and one of the clues that came up earlier in the game reminded me of the FJ from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=308
Did Steve Chernicoff really respond with "Who was Lincoln" when the category was Democrats? That's right up there with "What is Toronto" in U.S. Cities. Only one of the three players actually named a Democrat, and what do you know, he was right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I don't think palm would get you a BMS, they are different trees, are they not?
Not really, no. They're all of the same family.
I was wondering the same thing.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I don't think palm would get you a BMS, they are different trees, are they not?
I'm sure they are, but the question said South Carolina, right? Something about the flag or something? That's a palmetto on the flag, not a palm.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Presidents and sports are two of my worst subjects. I did not know when Super Bowl III was. I did not know when LBJ or Nixon served. I did not know that the Super Bowl used to be played in January. I did not come up with the correct response.

And yet, this was my favorite FJ so far this year.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Another tough game to watch. I'm not Canadian & even I took umbrage that they didn't know Harper. 4th FJ in a row but I'll be away tomorrow so I won't know until Sunday night if I get the last one. Woonsockett seemed easy to me but I've been through RI many times.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

Woonsocket was easy for me as that's where the company for which I work is based.

Some of the other clues were just ... bad.

As for FJ, knew it was LBJ once I ruled out 1970 or later for the game. I figured it would have been played before Jan. 20 so ruled out Nixon.
DevBrown05
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by DevBrown05 »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
I'm sure they are, but the question said South Carolina, right? Something about the flag or something? That's a palmetto on the flag, not a palm.
Yes the question was about our state symboll and no a palm tree is not the same as the palmetto. They look similar but not the same.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Here's my thought process on FJ: The third Super Bowl was in the '68 season, which means it was played either in December 68 or January 69. That's when I realized---Nixon had won the election, but had yet to be inaugurated, hence LBJ was still President, albeit a lame duck one. Granted I'll be prejudiced because I got it right, but I thought it was a fair clue---at least alot more up to the show's standards than the "museums" one a couple of days ago.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

For some reason I also thought Super Bowl I was in 1965...leading me to LBJ for the Super Bowl III in 1967...right answer, but wrong process!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dan had to work for his second win, but a true DD and a sole solve on FJ is one way to do it. Two widely different games have me unsure what will happen tomorrow for him.

The FJ clue had me instantly know Super Bowl III was January 1969 for sure. I went with Nixon over LBJ in thinking that the Super Bowl is now in Feb., but back then it had to be a few weeks earlier. January 12th for Namath's victory? I didn't know it was that early. I wasn't following football back then. Was there a presidential call/prediction that was memorable? Or anything else that could have tied it to LBJ? My memory bank only left me guessing although I get the logic of fewer playoff games to get the big game earlier than inauguration day.

Yes, a minute to work out FJ with pub trivia teammates is better suited for success.

The writers weren't kidding with the 4-Letter Crossword Regulars. All five were quite familiar from solving the USA Today puzzles especially EPEE.

I'm not up to messing around over on the Game Show Forum, but is "Bigger than a bread box?" not from "I've Got a Secret" as well? I'm not doubting it was used on "What's My Line", but I could not pull the trigger to guess one of the shows due to my hesitation.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.
I got it by rather more, ahem, purient means. When I was a teenager, my dad had a rather extensive collection of old Playboys, from the early 1960s up to the Present (mid-late 80s). Naturally, being a normal teenage boy, I'd sneak peeks at them whenever I could. There was this one Playmate that was particularly ... captivating ... to me, and her bio sheet said she was from "Woonsocket, RI". Well, I'd never heard it before, and seldom since, but ever since then, "Woonsocket" brings a certain "picture" to mind. And that's how I remember Woonsocket.

(Sadly, a basement flood in the late 80s forced my dad to throw them all out. I remember him laying them out on the lawn to dry them out to not much avail. He cut out and saved what he could (some pictures and articles, I still have an interview Playboy did with Groucho shortly before his death from one of the magazines))
thejeopardyfan wrote:And I didn't ring in, but "thermal" for "geothermal"?
No, Sarah deliberately said "from the earth", the "geo-" prefix is kind of mandatory at that point (that's what gave it to me).
heisman65 wrote:My air date is Monday, jeopardyfan. Big bash planned, too. If anyone here is near Kamloops, B.C., you're welcome to drop by.
Pfft, nice try. There's nobody and nothing near Kamloops, B. C. :D (Drove through it a few years ago on a trip to the west coast, stayed nearby in Merritt at a friend's recommendation (who is from Merritt).
jaxjags wrote:I said Nixon, had my bearings wrong when the Super Bowl actually happened (thought it was '72 for whatever reason), so that's a major choke for me, since I'm a presidents AND sports buff :(
I thought the game was 1972 too, but I was working under the assumption that Super Bowl I (yes, I know it wasn't called that) was 1969, and added 3 to that (which, now that I think about it, would get me to Super Bowl IV, not III. D'oh!). My biggest pause after that was not whether it was before or after the election but who the President was at the time and whether it was before or after his resignation (for some reason, my knowledge of early 70s US events (when Watergate was, when the Vietnam War ended) is incredibly shaky. Maybe it's because I was born about 2 months after said football game and wasn't really paying attention to current events (although I know the month and the year that Henderson "shoots, he scores!" from the same period). Once Nathan was negged for Nixon, I said "shoot, it must have been Ford!"
StevenH wrote:The category should have implied that the event the clue described would be about politics or history, i.e. something the U.S. President would be actively involved with. Knowing how the J! writers can be I figured that this might not be the case, but I would expect the average person to think they were going to see a political or historical clue.
There have been several occassions when they've asked who the US President (or, sometimes, the English monarch) was during certain events in history, political or not. A quick check of the Archive shows they've asked who the President was when a certain movie came out, when a sports event happened, when another sports event happened, when *another* sports event happened, OK maybe asking for who was president (or, in this case, vice president) when a particular sporting, non-political event happened isn't out of the ordinary for Jeopardy!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Palmetto is one type of palm. I think it would've gotten a BMS, since the clue mentioned South Carolina and it is specifically the palmetto that's the state tree, not just any old palm. But I don't think palm is wrong, just incomplete.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I misremembered and thought Super Bowl III was in 1968, so I correctly said LBJ, although I thought it was a rather bizarre clue. But after Alex explained what they were going for, I really hated this one. Just awful.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and I got a kick out of Nathan breaking the Jeopardy! illusion that it's taped in "real time" (as the folks on the new Sony board still tend to believe, it seems), by saying how incredibly cold it was in rural Wisconsin "last week". Either that, or it gave a whole new image of rural Wisconsin in the springtime to Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012