Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
I'm not up to messing around over on the Game Show Forum, but is "Bigger than a bread box?" not from "I've Got a Secret" as well? I'm not doubting it was used on "What's My Line", but I could not pull the trigger to guess one of the shows due to my hesitation.
The clue in question: "Is it bigger than a breadbox?" became a popular catchphrase on this classic game show.

I was thinking that the phrase was surely used on the show 20 Questions as well, which they negged when Nathan responded with it. Doing a bit of research, it seems that Steve Allen popularized the phrase on What's My Line, starting in 1953, and there is a pretty deep discussion about other prior usage of the phrase here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=256358 One poster seemed certain that the question was used in 20 Questions, which was both a radio and television show. I suppose the Jeopardy! staff could have felt fairly certain that it only became a "popular catchphrase" because of Allen using it on What's My Line.

However, what kind of research can confirm when something became popular? Is that not essentially an opinion question? If my grandmother and her friends used the phrase all the time after seeing it on 20 Questions in 1951, does that mean it was popular with their group? Or does something have to be used by lots of people all around the country to be truly considered a "popular catchphrase"? These are mostly just rhetorical questions, but it just seems like a bit of a questionable clue. They could have easily altered the clue to include Steve Allen as the one who popularized the phrase, which to me would make it much less ambiguous.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

heisman65 wrote:I guess everyone around here can guess what clue I was silently screaming the answer to while I was sitting in the studio. I think the minute it was revealed all the contestants sitting in the audience immediately turned to look at me. Once again, the Canadian content slips through my fingers.
Precalled this as soon as I saw the TS! :D
heisman65 wrote:Surprised that Battle of the Boyne went answered, as well as Iron Man, and maybe Garfield, after WH Harrison and McKinley were eliminated.
Iron Man came to me right as time ran out (I haven't seen the movie yet.) Boyne made perfect sense in retrospect.
MarkBarrett wrote: The writers weren't kidding with the 4-Letter Crossword Regulars. All five were quite familiar from solving the USA Today puzzles especially EPEE.
Seconded. Glad I've been doing those for the past year, heh.
marpocky wrote:I misremembered and thought Super Bowl III was in 1968, so I correctly said LBJ, although I thought it was a rather bizarre clue. But after Alex explained what they were going for, I really hated this one. Just awful.
Yeah...

As soon as Trebek said "it was held earlier..." I knew my Nixon was wrong, wrong, wrong. Worse than the Museum one. At least there, (I think it should lead you to the Smithsonian first, after that it's a 50/50 between Nat Hist and A&S) if you get it wrong, you just guessed wrong. This one was a GOTCHA!!

And I was liking the boards proper so well...well, except for my negs... (20 questions, barbiturate, benzene)...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9), Hidden Figures (8), Passengers (5)

marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Also, this was a pretty bloody game. There seemed to be way more wild guessing by the contestants than usual. It was hard to watch at times.

heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
And is that city in Rhode Island so well known it is top row material?
I was wondering the same thing.
I got it by rather more, ahem, purient means. When I was a teenager, my dad had a rather extensive collection of old Playboys, from the early 1960s up to the Present (mid-late 80s). Naturally, being a normal teenage boy, I'd sneak peeks at them whenever I could. There was this one Playmate that was particularly ... captivating ... to me, and her bio sheet said she was from "Woonsocket, RI". Well, I'd never heard it before, and seldom since, but ever since then, "Woonsocket" brings a certain "picture" to mind. And that's how I remember Woonsocket.

(Sadly, a basement flood in the late 80s forced my dad to throw them all out. I remember him laying them out on the lawn to dry them out to not much avail. He cut out and saved what he could (some pictures and articles, I still have an interview Playboy did with Groucho shortly before his death from one of the magazines))
thejeopardyfan wrote:And I didn't ring in, but "thermal" for "geothermal"?
No, Sarah deliberately said "from the earth", the "geo-" prefix is kind of mandatory at that point (that's what gave it to me).
heisman65 wrote:My air date is Monday, jeopardyfan. Big bash planned, too. If anyone here is near Kamloops, B.C., you're welcome to drop by.
Pfft, nice try. There's nobody and nothing near Kamloops, B. C. :D (Drove through it a few years ago on a trip to the west coast, stayed nearby in Merritt at a friend's recommendation (who is from Merritt).
jaxjags wrote:I said Nixon, had my bearings wrong when the Super Bowl actually happened (thought it was '72 for whatever reason), so that's a major choke for me, since I'm a presidents AND sports buff :(
I thought the game was 1972 too, but I was working under the assumption that Super Bowl I (yes, I know it wasn't called that) was 1969, and added 3 to that (which, now that I think about it, would get me to Super Bowl IV, not III. D'oh!). My biggest pause after that was not whether it was before or after the election but who the President was at the time and whether it was before or after his resignation (for some reason, my knowledge of early 70s US events (when Watergate was, when the Vietnam War ended) is incredibly shaky. Maybe it's because I was born about 2 months after said football game and wasn't really paying attention to current events (although I know the month and the year that Henderson "shoots, he scores!" from the same period). Once Nathan was negged for Nixon, I said "shoot, it must have been Ford!"
StevenH wrote:The category should have implied that the event the clue described would be about politics or history, i.e. something the U.S. President would be actively involved with. Knowing how the J! writers can be I figured that this might not be the case, but I would expect the average person to think they were going to see a political or historical clue.
There have been several occassions when they've asked who the US President (or, sometimes, the English monarch) was during certain events in history, political or not. A quick check of the Archive shows they've asked who the President was when a certain movie came out, when a sports event happened, when another sports event happened, when *another* sports event happened, OK maybe asking for who was president (or, in this case, vice president) when a particular sporting, non-political event happened isn't out of the ordinary for Jeopardy!
OK, mea culpa, I was pretty sure no one around here would be close enough to attend, but you're welcome, dhkendall, next time you trek out to the Coast. Kamloops is waaay nicer than Merritt (even though my dogs came from there).

And I'm glad there are a few non-haters about that FJ. I love prez stuff, and Super Bowls, and I always love these trap clues about presidents after an election.

I got Garfield, BTW. Take that, Americanos! Put that in your green handle and pump it!

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

The main reason I think the FJ is not good is that it punished me for knowing the exact year, while rewarding those who had it pegged for earlier.

Dan wasn't as impressive this game, but he's still out there fighting, which (of course) is what matters. He's probably still an underdog to make it to 4, but it could very well happen for him. I'm thinking that keeping the errors down is going to be crucial, as the boards have been noticeably more difficult for several days running now.

I said MA for the Woonsocket Q. I guess they were just asking you to know that town, as several people are chiming in that they knew it. Apparently CVS is based there (feel free to impress people at parties by busting out that little nugget).

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

omgwheelhouse wrote:The main reason I think the FJ is not good is that it punished me for knowing the exact year, while rewarding those who had it pegged for earlier.
You were punished for not considering that that there were two presidents in 1969 or not considering when the Super Bowl would have been held relative to the inauguration. That others got it despite errors in fact or reasoning doesn't make it a bad FJ!.
OCSam

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

I have a feeling Bamaman knew this Final.

As it happens, one of the questions in my TD143 was to name one of the "major" sport champions during Nixon's Presidency. I didn't realize until after posting the question that the '69 Super Bowl was held before the inauguration. I think I figured that I'd just accept the Jets as a correct response, but it ended up not being an issue. Looking at the thread now, I see that I forgot to mention the Jets neg bait in the reveal, but Bamaman did comment on it. Perhaps if I had added the "mea culpa" I had planned, a few more people here might have got FJ! tonight. It does appear that this episode was taped a few weeks after the TD... interesting coincidence.

Of course my reaction to FJ! was "Super Bowl III? 1969. Nixon." I was stunned when Nathan's response was negged, and only remembered the TD question after Alex's explanation.

stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Nice win, I feel that was a hard-fought one.

It was hard to watch the champion frantically fuss with the buzzer the whole time. Are all Jeopardy matches such obnoxious buzzer races?

Interesting that Craig were frequently beaten out by a seemingly older woman - way to go, Carol. She appeared smart to me, perhaps destined to be a champion.

Another question - did Carol properly say "boson"? It sounded like "boset" to me.

Perhaps there were three sources of conflict on that FJ: 1. When did that Superbowl game take place? 2. Was it before or after the inauguration? 3. Did the constitutional Amendment XX move the inauguration up to January by then? It was interesting that the question effectively tested American history and football knowledge at the same time.

I got LBJ as well.

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

OrangeSAM wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:The main reason I think the FJ is not good is that it punished me for knowing the exact year, while rewarding those who had it pegged for earlier.
You were punished for not considering that that there were two presidents in 1969 or not considering when the Super Bowl would have been held relative to the inauguration. That others got it despite errors in fact or reasoning doesn't make it a bad FJ!.
Someone who knows that the game was played in 1969 is less likely to get the right answer than someone who thought that the game was played in 1965. I believe that does make it a bad FJ question.

I think it would be fair to say, by the way, that I was punished for not knowing that Superbowl III was played in early January. If you're curious, I did know that there were two presidents in 1969, and as you may know, it's not like it's a rule that the Super Bowl be played before the inauguration. Superbowl XXXV in 2001, for instance, was played when George W was president.

Are you arguing that it's FJ-worthy to ask when in January Super Bowl III was played? Was there some way to puzzle that out besides being alive and watching football in 1969? Or are you just saying that if you know the general time-frame, you'll have a decent shot at guessing it, so that's good enough?

Sage on the Hudson

Squeaking toward oblivion

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

MrDanZak wrote:Sorry to post here about this, but I'm the Washington Post reporter who's writing about Trebek and "Jeopardy!" and I'm looking to get back in touch with alietr to talk on the phone: zakd@washpost.com.
I think you need to talk to Charles Colson and Donald Segretti.

DWS wrote:For FJ, I correctly determined the year was 1969, but I went with Nixon.

Just my opinion, but I think "brainstorm" should have been negged. I have never heard that word used to describe part of an EEG chart and it is not equivalent to "brainwave."
A: The hard part for me is remembering which team won what championship in what order. In one of the great feats of one locale dominating a broad range of U.S. professional sports, the Jets, Mets and Knicks all won their sport's championship within a sixteen-month period, from January, 1969 to May, 1970. I had to think of whether the Jets won first, or the Mets. Once I settled on its being the former, it was merely a matter of reasoning that the shorter NFL season played in those days resulted in an earlier Super Bowl. Add to that the likelihood that the Jeopardy! writers probably built the clue around a trick arising from the date of a U.S. president's inauguration, and it's being LBJ became an unshakable certainty.

xxaaaxx wrote:'ve never heard the word 'brainwave' used to describe a sudden idea...
As noted elsewhere, its common in Britain. I've never heard a Brit use the term "brainstorm."

dhkendall wrote:I said "shoot, it must have been Ford!"
That's what Arthur Bremer and "Squeaky" Fromme probably muttered at one time or another, too.

dhkendall wrote:Oh, and I got a kick out of Nathan breaking the Jeopardy! illusion that it's taped in "real time" (as the folks on the new Sony board still tend to believe, it seems), by saying how incredibly cold it was in rural Wisconsin "last week". Either that, or it gave a whole new image of rural Wisconsin in the springtime to Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Things in Wisconsin remain very, very cold if one belongs to a labor union.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Squeaking toward oblivion

Post by Paucle »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
That's what Arthur Bremer and "Squeaky" Fromme probably muttered at one time or another, too.
I get the Fromme allusion, but please help me on the Bremer connection. Was Ford a pre-Wallace target for him?

BTW, what if someone had answered "Who is Ongania?" (President of Argentina in early January 1969)? Or "Who is Charlton Heston?" (SAG)

Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that I misremembered and thought the first SB was played in '66, so I went with LBJ on those grounds because I was thinking it was '68, but I think that was a less-than-excellent clue. Not a bad FJ, but not a good one either.

I knew the earlier Super Bowls were all played in mostly mid-January, but was under the impression that the dates varied a little more widely than they apparently did. It's a great piece of trivia, but I think it's almost too trappy for FJ.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.

Johnblue

Re: Squeaking toward oblivion

Post by Johnblue »

Paucle wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
I get the Fromme allusion, but please help me on the Bremer connection. Was Ford a pre-Wallace target for him?

BTW, what if someone had answered "Who is Ongania?" (President of Argentina in early January 1969)? Or "Who is Charlton Heston?" (SAG)

He meant Sara Jane Moore, sagaciously...

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I remember SBIII's date for a more obtuse reason. My grandmother has died a couple of days earler (age 51, back when first heart attacks were as often as not fatal) and her visitation was that Sunday afternoon. More than one member of the family took turns sneaking out to listen to the game on the radio (there was great interest in Joe Namath's on-field performance, of course, since we were all Bama fans), then coming back to quietly report on the progress of the game.

And yes, I said LBJ.

BobF

Post by BobF »

thenextofken wrote:Here's my thought process on FJ: The third Super Bowl was in the '68 season, which means it was played either in December 68 or January 69. That's when I realized---Nixon had won the election, but had yet to be inaugurated, hence LBJ was still President, albeit a lame duck one. Granted I'll be prejudiced because I got it right, but I thought it was a fair clue---at least alot more up to the show's standards than the "museums" one a couple of days ago.
What makes it tough is that now the Super Bowl is played well after inauguration day. When I read the clue on here this morning, I thought Nixon, no wait, Johnson. Even though I'm a huge NFL fan, I wouldn't be able to tell you who was president when Super Bowls XI, XV, XXIII, XVII or XXXV were played.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DWS wrote:For FJ, I correctly determined the year was 1969, but I went with Nixon.

Just my opinion, but I think "brainstorm" should have been negged. I have never heard that word used to describe part of an EEG chart and it is not equivalent to "brainwave."
I agree. Even though I also answered "brainstorm," it just didn't seem right. Sounds more like saying "nervous breakdown," a term that is commonly used but has no clinical meaning. Badly written clue.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Jaksiel wrote:I thought the FJ was very silly, though maybe it's just because I'm mad at myself. If you know Super Bowl III was played in 1969, you shouldn't have to do mental gymnastics to figure out the exact date it was played and whether the new President had taken office yet or not. (Yes, I said Nixon.)
And for some reason I thought SBIII was played at the end of the 1969 season, so I was pretty sure it was Nixon. Dang.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I don't think palm would get you a BMS, they are different trees, are they not?
Not really, no. They're all of the same family.
I'm sure they are, but the question said South Carolina, right? Something about the flag or something? That's a palmetto on the flag, not a palm.
And it IS "The Palmetto State," is it not?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I'm sure they are, but the question said South Carolina, right? Something about the flag or something? That's a palmetto on the flag, not a palm.
And it IS "The Palmetto State," is it not?
Yes, it is called a palmetto -- the sabal palmetto -- but it is also called just a palm ... the USDA even says so: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/ht ... n.pl?32594

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »