Second-chance tourney coming

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 10209
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:59 pm This idea is poop and I hope it’s a ratings failure
Fact!
User avatar
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm
Location: Brunswick, OH
Contact:

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by barandall800 »

finishemzoe wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:27 pm my god, y'all absolutely hate fun.

this is an idea that's floated amongst fans for years and i think it's a neat experiment. and even then, it's nowhere near as experimental as the All-Star Games was.

also, there's no way the TOC is only going to be 15 players this year and that's been speculated on for a long time. the addition of two SCT winners makes it 16. there has been absolutely no confirmation that any 4-time winners are going to be "screwed out" of the tournament.

a lot more tournaments are going primetime too, like the college tournament. so that opens up extra room for regular games, SCT merely replacing NCC at best.

this board will continue to alienate young and new viewers of jeopardy with prevailing attitudes like this.
Couldn’t have said it much better myself. Count me as someone else really looking forward to this tournament.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by yclept »

Something tells me they are expanding the TOC field. I think they read social media and understand there are a lot Jackie fans out there. Beyond her, other 4-time champs will hopefully get their shot as well.

One hint to this is that there aren’t any of them in this tournament. The producers could have done this over 2 weeks with Week 1 being the hard luck losing contestants and Week 2 being the best 9 champions who missed the field. Instead, they went with 18 hard luck losers in two fields. It just doesn’t make any sense without an expanded field. It wouldn’t really be fair to push the last qualifier to 2023 IMHO.

That said, they would need to get creative. They have 17 players in the field if you include all 4+ game winners. Add the 2 SCT berths and you have 19.

Can’t wait to see how it all goes down and if my theory (isn’t only my theory!) of an expanded field ends up being correct.
User avatar
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by finishemzoe »

yclept wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:49 am Something tells me they are expanding the TOC field. I think they read social media and understand there are a lot Jackie fans out there. Beyond her, other 4-time champs will hopefully get their shot as well.

One hint to this is that there aren’t any of them in this tournament. The producers could have done this over 2 weeks with Week 1 being the hard luck losing contestants and Week 2 being the best 9 champions who missed the field. Instead, they went with 18 hard luck losers in two fields. It just doesn’t make any sense without an expanded field. It wouldn’t really be fair to push the last qualifier to 2023 IMHO.

That said, they would need to get creative. They have 17 players in the field if you include all 4+ game winners. Add the 2 SCT berths and you have 19.

Can’t wait to see how it all goes down and if my theory (isn’t only my theory!) of an expanded field ends up being correct.
There's also the two tournament winners, Jaskaran and Sam. so that'd actually make it 21 eligible players.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by clprez »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:53 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:01 pm Somehow a tweet of Simi Landau (@MsLandauReads) landed on my twitter feed, and she has her name listed as "Second Chance Simi". Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Cory Anotado has done something similar with his Twitter profile.
He’s had that pretty much since the 2CT was announced
gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:45 pm 2-Day champion Sam Stapleton announced on Twitter that he will be in the Second Chance Tournament.
Unless I'm reading from the wrong site, none of these players made the SCT, and their twitter profiles no longer have any mentions of it. Weird.
User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2616
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

clprez wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:53 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:01 pm Somehow a tweet of Simi Landau (@MsLandauReads) landed on my twitter feed, and she has her name listed as "Second Chance Simi". Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Cory Anotado has done something similar with his Twitter profile.
He’s had that pretty much since the 2CT was announced
gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:45 pm 2-Day champion Sam Stapleton announced on Twitter that he will be in the Second Chance Tournament.
Unless I'm reading from the wrong site, none of these players made the SCT, and their twitter profiles no longer have any mentions of it. Weird.
Not weird at all. They were angling for a spot in the tourney, and changed their Twitter headings to reflect that. Once the full line-up was announced, there was no point in doing it anymore, so they changed it back.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by sarisson »

Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
I'd be somewhat okay with the SCT if nobody went to the TOC. I'd be much more okay with it if KJL's or JHL's got another chance, or maybe a few extraordinary quizzers from years past, like GroceV or DhuwaliaR, who only won a game or two.
Hoping for a third lap
brucejoel199
Contributor
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:26 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by brucejoel199 »

sarisson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
The only 4x champ who got passed over for the 2019 ToC because TPTB decided to invite Emma back was Ryan Bilger, who summarily served as the alternate & was guaranteed a slot in the next ToC thereafter, eventually held in 2021, when he made it to the semifinals & went home with $10K. All things considered (not to mention the fact that he dodged a bullet in never having to face an environment feat. James), I'd say that Ryan is perfectly happy with everything that transpired, but I don't have to, because IIRC, Ryan himself has said so on the sub & never expressed complaints about what happened.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 9399
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by opusthepenguin »

brucejoel199 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:42 am
sarisson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
The only 4x champ who got passed over for the 2019 ToC because TPTB decided to invite Emma back was Ryan Bilger, who summarily served as the alternate & was guaranteed a slot in the next ToC thereafter, eventually held in 2021, when he made it to the semifinals & went home with $10K. All things considered (not to mention the fact that he dodged a bullet in never having to face an environment feat. James), I'd say that Ryan is perfectly happy with everything that transpired, but I don't have to, because IIRC, Ryan himself has said so on the sub & never expressed complaints about what happened.
And of course Ryan wouldn't even have been on deck if 2018 Teachers Tournament winner Larry Martin had still been around. So all in all, not a lot of room for the almost-rans to complain. On the other hand the 2019 TOC was a full two years after the previous TOC and there had been two Teachers Tournaments in the interim so there was still one slot being taken by a teacher.
User avatar
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by finishemzoe »

sarisson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
I'd be somewhat okay with the SCT if nobody went to the TOC. I'd be much more okay with it if KJL's or JHL's got another chance, or maybe a few extraordinary quizzers from years past, like GroceV or DhuwaliaR, who only won a game or two.
No one got "passed over" in the 2019 TOC, they were already out of the running. The only reason there was any extra opening for Emma was because of Larry Martin's passing. Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it correct.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Austin Powers »

finishemzoe wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 am
sarisson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
I'd be somewhat okay with the SCT if nobody went to the TOC. I'd be much more okay with it if KJL's or JHL's got another chance, or maybe a few extraordinary quizzers from years past, like GroceV or DhuwaliaR, who only won a game or two.
No one got "passed over" in the 2019 TOC, they were already out of the running. The only reason there was any extra opening for Emma was because of Larry Martin's passing. Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it correct.
So if someone dies, the show can just pick anybody? Maybe just make it Ken Jennings the 15th contestant?
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Ironhorse »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 pm
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 am
sarisson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
I'd be somewhat okay with the SCT if nobody went to the TOC. I'd be much more okay with it if KJL's or JHL's got another chance, or maybe a few extraordinary quizzers from years past, like GroceV or DhuwaliaR, who only won a game or two.
No one got "passed over" in the 2019 TOC, they were already out of the running. The only reason there was any extra opening for Emma was because of Larry Martin's passing. Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it correct.
So if someone dies, the show can just pick anybody? Maybe just make it Ken Jennings the 15th contestant?
The show can pick anybody it wants as is. If they didn't want to invite Matt Amodio, nothing could stop them.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
Golf
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Golf »

sarisson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm Imagine being one of the 4x champs who got passed over for the 2019 TOC because TPTB wanted a rematch between 3x winner Emma and James (not a bad idea per se, as that turned out to be an epic match-up). Not only were they passed over again for the next tournament, they might get to see not one, but two people who went 0-1 get an invite to the 2022 TOC. How do you think they feel right now?
I'd be somewhat okay with the SCT if nobody went to the TOC. I'd be much more okay with it if KJL's or JHL's got another chance, or maybe a few extraordinary quizzers from years past, like GroceV or DhuwaliaR, who only won a game or two.
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 am No one got "passed over" in the 2019 TOC, they were already out of the running. The only reason there was any extra opening for Emma was because of Larry Martin's passing. Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it correct.
Until the last couple of ToC's, the contestants were chosen on pure merit which was number of games won, followed by amount of winnings. The top 15 players according to these metric were always chosen by TPTB allowing for tournament winners of course. A player sadly passing has absolutely nothing to do with the metrics because he was no longer eligible.

So of course somebody got passed over, and it doesn't matter if that person is then a contestant in the next ToC because then somebody for that season will get passed over. And it will never end. For every person they gift into the ToC, another person will get passed over. And I wouldn't blame them for being pissed.

I don't hate fun, I hate deserving contestants getting passed over in favor of subjective fan favorites. And that's what happens at Jeopardy auditions to a degree. That's certainly what happened with WWTBAM moving away from phone qualifying in favor of casting calls.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 9399
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:17 pm So of course somebody got passed over, and it doesn't matter if that person is then a contestant in the next ToC because then somebody for that season will get passed over. And it will never end. For every person they gift into the ToC, another person will get passed over. And I wouldn't blame them for being pissed.
Ok, but right now we don't even know who that person is, do we?
Golf
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:38 pm Ok, but right now we don't even know who that person is, do we?
Well, I don’t because I don’t follow the season stats as closely as others. But unless I’m missing something, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be simple to determine.

I just think it sets a bad precedent to subjectively select a ToC contestant over more deserving players. And now the SCT just takes that up several levels. Especially since there will probably be two players in the ToC who won exactly zero regular season games.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by MattKnowles »

Some people have been criticizing the second chance tournament for months non-stop.
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 8075
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:02 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:38 pm Ok, but right now we don't even know who that person is, do we?
Well, I don’t because I don’t follow the season stats as closely as others. But unless I’m missing something, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be simple to determine.

I just think it sets a bad precedent to subjectively select a ToC contestant over more deserving players. And now the SCT just takes that up several levels. Especially since there will probably be two players in the ToC who won exactly zero regular season games.
"Subjectively" and "more deserving" seem to be at cross purposes in your first sentence. And your last sentence overlooks that there are already two players set to be in the ToC who won exactly zero regular season games.
Golf
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Golf »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:14 am "Subjectively" and "more deserving" seem to be at cross purposes in your first sentence. And your last sentence overlooks that there are already two players set to be in the ToC who won exactly zero regular season games.
Ok, 2 players that lost their one and only game. Slightly different than two players who defeated 14 others over 4 games in a tournament.

Regarding subjectively, how would you have felt if TPTB invited enough first game non-winners to compete in your ToC that you didn’t make the cut? That decision would have taken a lot of money out of your pocket.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 8075
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:24 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:14 am "Subjectively" and "more deserving" seem to be at cross purposes in your first sentence. And your last sentence overlooks that there are already two players set to be in the ToC who won exactly zero regular season games.
Ok, 2 players that lost their one and only game. Slightly different than two players who defeated 14 others over 4 games in a tournament.

Regarding subjectively, how would you have felt if TPTB invited enough first game non-winners to compete in your ToC that you didn’t make the cut? That decision would have taken a lot of money out of your pocket.
The players will have defeated several others in a tournament by the time they're in a ToC.

Lucky people have been getting into the ToC ahead of better players for as long as the ToC has existed. The arbitrariness is just a little more anthropogenic now.
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:24 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:14 am "Subjectively" and "more deserving" seem to be at cross purposes in your first sentence. And your last sentence overlooks that there are already two players set to be in the ToC who won exactly zero regular season games.
Ok, 2 players that lost their one and only game. Slightly different than two players who defeated 14 others over 4 games in a tournament.

Regarding subjectively, how would you have felt if TPTB invited enough first game non-winners to compete in your ToC that you didn’t make the cut? That decision would have taken a lot of money out of your pocket.
Sg won five games, and no five game winner has ever been bumped other than the exception we all know about. That looks to continue as Mike Davies incidentally referred to Tyler Rhode, the lowest five game winner this cycle, as a ToC participant. It's no more unfair than the fact that some cycles have had early cutoffs and others haven't.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
Post Reply