Second-chance tourney coming

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by AntmanB »

Do it is just people who didn’t win? That’s the part that makes me vomit.

It would be weird to give Someone a bye.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Isaac is the only winner. 2x at that.

Isaac Applebaum (Coryat avg. – 11800) (JNCC Final Four)
James Fraser (Coryat – 17400)
Sadie Goldberger (Coryat – 9800) (Tubma & Megan #4)
Aaron Gulyas (Coryat – 15000) (Ryan #11)
Molly Karol (Coryat – 9800) (Andrew #4)
Alicia O’Hare (Coryat – 22200)
Do-hyoung Park (Coryat – 14400) (Amy #14)
Tom Philipose (Coryat – 18600) (Ryan #15)
Tracy Pitzel (Coryat – 18000) (Matt #24)
Nikkee Pocaro (Coryat – 17000)
Renée Russell (Coryat – 15000) (Mattea #18)
Pam Schoenberg (Coryat – 18000) (Amy #10)
Jeff Smith (Coryat – 23200)
Sarah Snider (Coryat – 17400) (Mattea #23)
Jessica Stephens (Coryat – 14400) (Matt #39 & Jonathan Fisher #1)
Rowan Ward (Coryat – 17400) (Matt #18)
Jack Weller (Coryat – 13200) (Brian #4)
Cindy Zhang (Coryat – 13600)

Scores after the Double Jeopardy round probably played a part in selection as well.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

so this idea is officially stupid IM. allowing 2 of them into the toc instead of Tyler Rhode is even stupider if thats indeed what happens. id rather have Tyler Rhode and Jackie Kelly(The top 4xer) instead.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Especially since the ToC tracker says "All 4-time and over winning players starting from 01/05/21 will be eligible for a future Tournament of Champions".
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:54 pm Especially since the ToC tracker says "All 4-time and over winning players starting from 01/05/21 will be eligible for a future Tournament of Champions".
But what about the line directly below?

Presence on this list does NOT guarantee an invitation to compete in the Tournament of Champions. Other eligibility rules apply and final selection is up to the producers' sole discretion.

TPTB seem to think all this confusion and mixed signals will stimulate extra interest in the ToC.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:59 pm This idea is poop and I hope it’s a ratings failure
Agreed.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:54 pm Especially since the ToC tracker says "All 4-time and over winning players starting from 01/05/21 will be eligible for a future Tournament of Champions".
ill note that in my S39 leaderboard. im just gonna assume Tyler Rhode has been bumped to next TOC.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Speak for yourselves. I'm thrilled about this.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:59 pm This idea is poop and I hope it’s a ratings failure
The idea is fine. The execution, sure debate away.

Not that I agree with being outraged over this but I'm surprised how cumulatively little outrage there appears to be thus far compared to All-Stars (about selection, format, ToC ramifications, etc.). All-Stars was a one-off, experimental deal. This is likely, for better or worse, the new normal for the show. Feels like the upending of 40-year old tournament structures that very few have seemed to question is the secondary headline here. My $0.02. I'll still watch and give it a shot.

Also: Congrats MasterCone! Best of luck.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

I flipped through before Mark did all the hard work... I don't think there's anyone who can't say, "I could've been a multi-day champ with just a couple more breaks," and some really impressive people.

I WAS pretty surprised that this is only people from the last two seasons - was that clear to everyone else? Why not bring back a Ken Jennings loser or two (Jeff Hoppes, say)? I thought Jason Thweatt from my run was fantastic. Sara Orel was leading Larissa going into FJ, with a ~20k Coryat... These are biased toward the 00s but you get the point.

Again, not to take away from anyone on the list! I kind of agree that I like the idea but not clear on why it's this narrower group.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:12 pm
ill note that in my S39 leaderboard. im just gonna assume Tyler Rhode has been bumped to next TOC.
There should not be any scenario with Tyler bumped to S39. Megan as most recent winner would be alternate this year and play next year in the 15-player scenario. The powers can't be crazy enough to make Tyler the alternate or to bump him just for being low person. 5x has to still be sacred.

If the SCT can have 18 then that opens up the possibility for the ToC go beyond traditional as well.
Golf

Post by Golf »

threearruda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:36 pm The idea is fine. The execution, sure debate away.
No, I'm going to (once again) debate that the idea is poop.

These contestants had their chance and they didn't take advantage. It happens even to good players. Give others a chance now.

But perhaps the worst part is that all 18 players in the SCT performed much worse than all the 4 time champs. Yet 2 of these players will be competing in the ToC while the 4 time champs sit at home. That's total BS.

I hold no ill will towards the players competing in this tournament. My ire is directed at TPTB.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

pdano wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:52 pm I flipped through before Mark did all the hard work... I don't think there's anyone who can't say, "I could've been a multi-day champ with just a couple more breaks," and some really impressive people.

I WAS pretty surprised that this is only people from the last two seasons - was that clear to everyone else? Why not bring back a Ken Jennings loser or two (Jeff Hoppes, say)? I thought Jason Thweatt from my run was fantastic. Sara Orel was leading Larissa going into FJ, with a ~20k Coryat... These are biased toward the 00s but you get the point.

Again, not to take away from anyone on the list! I kind of agree that I like the idea but not clear on why it's this narrower group.
Michael Davies did say the initial SCT would be only players after the last ToC while opening up the chance another one could go further back. No doubt, there are KJLs to later those defeated by more current champs who still have some trivia chops.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm
AntmanB wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:12 pm
There should not be any scenario with Tyler bumped to S39. Megan as most recent winner would be alternate this year and play next year in the 15-player scenario. The powers can't be crazy enough to make Tyler the alternate or to bump him just for being low person. 5x has to still be sacred.

If the SCT can have 18 then that opens up the possibility for the ToC go beyond traditional as well.
why is it most recent 5xer and not person on bottom of leaderboard? im Curious.

Yes, i like the idea but the execution is horrible. not allowing 3xers and lower and people from previous years is stupid.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:56 pm
threearruda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:36 pm The idea is fine. The execution, sure debate away.

These contestants had their chance and they didn't take advantage. It happens even to good players. Give others a chance now.

But perhaps the worst part is that all 18 players in the SCT performed much worse than all the 4 time champs. Yet 2 of these players will be competing in the ToC while the 4 time champs sit at home. That's total BS.

I hold no ill will towards the players competing in this tournament. My ire is directed at TPTB.
Since it's a tournament, won't it be on network rather than syndication and this -not- take chances away from others?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:51 pm

Since it's a tournament, won't it be on network rather than syndication and this -not- take chances away from others?
Where are you getting the idea that tournaments aren't on syndication? ToC has always been syndicated.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:07 pm

Where are you getting the idea that tournaments aren't on syndication? ToC has always been syndicated.
So was the College Tournament. Until it wasn't.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

It's already been announced that this is coming up in normal J! with Ken hosting this tournament and the TOC.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:36 pm
The idea is fine. The execution, sure debate away.
That's where I am on this whole thing. And as the one who suggested the idea to them (Don't kid yourself. They read all my posts.) I'd like to point out that they could've gotten in touch with me before going ahead with it.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

my god, y'all absolutely hate fun.

this is an idea that's floated amongst fans for years and i think it's a neat experiment. and even then, it's nowhere near as experimental as the All-Star Games was.

also, there's no way the TOC is only going to be 15 players this year and that's been speculated on for a long time. the addition of two SCT winners makes it 16. there has been absolutely no confirmation that any 4-time winners are going to be "screwed out" of the tournament.

a lot more tournaments are going primetime too, like the college tournament. so that opens up extra room for regular games, SCT merely replacing NCC at best.

this board will continue to alienate young and new viewers of jeopardy with prevailing attitudes like this.
Last edited by finishemzoe on Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/