Second-chance tourney coming

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Picked Off »

As to the criticism of the tournament structure, and specifically the fact that one of our four semifinalists will not advance to the final, I get it. It's an imperfect solution that resulted from necessary changes to the original tournament format and the fixed number of hours we were committed to deliver. However, I am happy to announce that we will invite the fourth place finisher back for our postseason Second Chance Tournament that will precede, and feed, at least one player into the Tournament of Champions. ….

I may have just broken the Jeopardy!-verse.

I started thinking about a Second Chance Tournament almost the day I started on Jeopardy!, when Jessica Stephens beat Matt Amodio, but lost to Jonathan Fisher by just $401. I thought, “Wow, wouldn’t it be a cool idea to have a tournament where we bring excellent contestants like Jessica back?” Like most good ideas, it was quickly apparent that many, many other people – both inside and outside the show – had had exactly the same thought, long before me. But now we’re actually going to do it, and slot it in right before the ToC. More details to follow, including the criteria we will be using to select the rest of the participants. To be clear, though, the eligibility time frame will be the same as for this year’s ToC: We are looking at contestants who appeared on Jeopardy! since the last Tournament of Champions who we believe deserve a second shot. I know there will be many contestants from previous years who will be howling at this point, and I do not rule out a future opportunity to compete again for some of you. But for now this is part of the postseason for this season. We are all so excited at the prospect, and we look forward to seeing some wonderful contestants again on our stage.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... s-explains
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Golf »

If this comes to pass Jeopardy can kiss my ass. Complete BS. Tons of good players who actually would try to win games can’t get on and now we’re going to lose 20 contestant slots so we can watch previous non-winners compete.

Gotta be an early April Fool’s joke.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Good luck MasterCone, Cookie, and any other potentially eligible jboardies!

Hopefully this will be in prime time to partially relieve the grumbling from people who whine about contestant slots being taken.

I’m ok with 1.5 hours of Jeopardy! a day.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Maybe I'm being too selfish, but as someone who's tried out five times, including once when I scored a perfect 50/50 on the in-person test, this is a real kick in the pants. I also think the selection process for the SCT will inevitably lean in the direction of colorful, memorable personalities as opposed to a strict "best 15 losers" policy.

I know it's TV and, ultimately, they can do what they want but there are some troubling tendencies developing in our post-Alex world.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Right before the TOC?

Maybe this is a way to expand the TOC without expanding the actual field? ABC will have their 11-day format, and the winner gets a TOC slot?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm If this comes to pass Jeopardy can kiss my ass. Complete BS. Tons of good players who actually would try to win games can’t get on and now we’re going to lose 20 contestant slots so we can watch previous non-winners compete.

Nobody's keeping you around. If you don't like what they're doing, you don't have to stay around here.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

jev15 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:19 pm Maybe I'm being too selfish, but as someone who's tried out five times, including once when I scored a perfect 50/50 on the in-person test, this is a real kick in the pants. I also think the selection process for the SCT will inevitably lean in the direction of colorful, memorable personalities as opposed to a strict "best 15 losers" policy.

I know it's TV and, ultimately, they can do what they want but there are some troubling tendencies developing in our post-Alex world.
I'm in the pool for the first time this year - yeah it stinks to lose 20-ish spots for new contestants especially as more and more people try out, but I just see the STC as taking the place of the 1-3 weeks that something like Kids, Teen or Celebrity/Power Players shows took up in years past. I love the idea, and I love that we're going to have a month-long "postseason" between the STC and ToC play. Especially so if we're having a yearly ToC where more spots will need to be guaranteed faster.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The JNCC is not enough to digest along with the regular shows? I would have waited until March to tell of the SCT and just kept today's message to the book stuff.

JNCC winner goes to the ToC. Fine.
JNCC non-finalist goes to the SCT. Makes sense.

One or more than one person from SCT goes to the TOC?

TOC has 5x and above, Professor & JNCC automatically.

Will some 4xers automatically make ToC and some go to SCT depending on money won. Or John Focht is locked into SCT no matter what happens the rest of this season?

I like to imagine the online rage if a 3xer does not make SCT, but a non-winner with skill or a non-winner with flair does.

No matter how it shakes out I imagine it won't be hard to fill the 15 slots for the SCT and still have arguments about who is left out.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Given the name drop, we know one person in this tournament. Actually, two since the person left out of the college finals will be a part of this. I can see the argument that it isn’t fair to those who come in 2nd and 3rd, but what can you do? They are trying to right the wrong of the college tournament format (which he admitted was due to a change in the format of the tournament).

I have always been intrigued by something like this so it doesn’t bother me. It will be interesting to see what the mix is. Obviously, he is intrigued by losing contestants who played strong games against a super champ.But you should also include strong 3x and 2x champs if they don’t otherwise qualify for the TOC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My opinion matches his:

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I expect to be busy then, but there is the magic of reruns.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Only for people who have lost in the past 13 months? Really?

I don’t think I like this then. I’ve always kinda wanted something like this though, so I’m open to it, just wish people from all the seasons were eligible. S40 maybe?

"I know there will be many contestants from previous years who will be howling at this point, and I do not rule out a future opportunity to compete again for some of you." Hopefully S40. Im on Board then.

Happy About the College Winner getting a TOC invite though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This is an ill-conceived idea.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:31 pm This is an ill-conceived idea.
Imagine someone getting through the SCT through fluke circumstances and then knocking out a big shot in the QF round of the ToC. That would serve the powers right.

If 3x winners have already had their second chance (and more) then perhaps it's only the JNCC 4th placer that has actually won a game previously?

To pick a boardie... let's say Cory from Amy #32 gets an invite. It could be players that ran into ultrachamps. There are more choices as well from Amodio matches.

Bring back a couple of Professors?

Besides the JNCC 4th, the message seems to indicate it's likely Jessica Stevens will be included. If that criteria is unfortunate draws then Jill Tucker for drawing the Brian Chang/Zach Newkirk match?

No doubt this thing will draw a lot of griping spilled ink online.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:57 pm The JNCC is not enough to digest along with the regular shows? I would have waited until March to tell of the SCT and just kept today's message to the book stuff.
Probably too much chatter about that 4th place semifinalist to let it sit

As long as it's prime time, have at it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:25 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm If this comes to pass Jeopardy can kiss my ass. Complete BS. Tons of good players who actually would try to win games can’t get on and now we’re going to lose 20 contestant slots so we can watch previous non-winners compete.

Nobody's keeping you around. If you don't like what they're doing, you don't have to stay around here.
Then again, they don't have to leave, either. I hope.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I totally agree with both thoughts.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Wow, didn't expect so much negativity here lol.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

So I'm the only person who likes it?

Edit: I am not. Reddit overwhelmingly loves it. I think the sentiment here is in a distinct minority.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:52 pm So I'm the only person who likes it?

Edit: I am not. Reddit overwhelmingly loves it. I think the sentiment here is in a distinct minority.
I've been suggesting a Tournament of Losers for years. I like the idea a lot. There are plenty of contestants who have run into buzz saw superchamps. Bring back the ones who made the strongest showing--e.g. the ones who would've won if KJ had missed FJ. Here's my original post from almost 9 years ago (complete with a vintage bonehead mistake in which I thought Julia Lazarus was the returning champ in KJ's first game):

viewtopic.php?p=62965#p62965