Second-chance tourney coming

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by hanzz »

Xu Donym wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:12 am
Which makes me wonder... now that there will be a Tournament of Losers, maybe they should stage a special tournament dedicated ONLY to contestants who finished in the red before Final Jeopardy. Let's see how Patrick Pearce does against Wolf Blitzer!
I’d be down.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm If this comes to pass Jeopardy can kiss my ass. Complete BS. Tons of good players who actually would try to win games can’t get on and now we’re going to lose 20 contestant slots so we can watch previous non-winners compete.

Gotta be an early April Fool’s joke.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:25 pm Nobody's keeping you around. If you don't like what they're doing, you don't have to stay around here.
I'm sorry, I didn't know everybody had to have a positive opinion on anything and everything Jeopardy in order to be here. But if that's the case, there's a lot more posters you need to publicly invite to leave. Better get on that.

It's OK to disagree with a TPTB decision.

So I guess someone with a memorable personality who loses their first game has a better chance of making the ToC than a mild mannered contestant who wins three games?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:24 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm If this comes to pass Jeopardy can kiss my ass. Complete BS. Tons of good players who actually would try to win games can’t get on and now we’re going to lose 20 contestant slots so we can watch previous non-winners compete.

Gotta be an early April Fool’s joke.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:25 pm Nobody's keeping you around. If you don't like what they're doing, you don't have to stay around here.
I'm sorry, I didn't know everybody had to have a positive opinion on anything and everything Jeopardy in order to be here. But if that's the case, there's a lot more posters you need to publicly invite to leave. Better get on that.

It's OK to disagree with a TPTB decision.

So I guess someone with a memorable personality who loses their first game has a better chance of making the ToC than a mild mannered contestant who wins three games?
Disagreeing is fine. But if you're going to make an ultimatum, don't assume you're important enough to be kept around.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I hope they bring back all three Ira Levines from season 3.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:32 pm make an ultimatum
FWIW, I saw Golf's "ultimatum" (more of a request likely to be unheard, ignored, or declined) as directed at the show and not this board, which, to the benefit of both, are different entities.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:50 am
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:32 pm make an ultimatum
FWIW, I saw Golf's "ultimatum" (more of a request likely to be unheard, ignored, or declined) as directed at the show and not this board, which, to the benefit of both, are different entities.
Sure, but the ultimatum could be read as a statement that he will stop watching the show if they go through with this BS. That could have an effect on participation here.
Golf

Post by Golf »

I didn't say I'd stop watching the show, I said this decision and those that made it can kiss my ass. Just makes zero sense to my competitive nature.

In season 2 of WWTBAM, Davies apparently decided to bring back a bunch of $0 winners instead of holding a ToC like in season 1. Given a choice, why would the viewing audience want to watch much lesser players compared to proven winners?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Golf wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 pm I didn't say I'd stop watching the show, I said this decision and those that made it can kiss my ass. Just makes zero sense to my competitive nature.

In season 2 of WWTBAM, Davies apparently decided to bring back a bunch of $0 winners instead of holding a ToC like in season 1. Given a choice, why would the viewing audience want to watch much lesser players compared to proven winners?
I don't know, it worked out okay for me.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Golf wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 pm I didn't say I'd stop watching the show, I said this decision and those that made it can kiss my ass. Just makes zero sense to my competitive nature.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:40 pm

You can say that again!
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:17 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:40 pm

You can say that again!
Ha! It must have really ended up well.

Glad to know someone it worked out well for, worked out the opposite for me.
CyrusChan

Question about the Second Chance tournament?

Post by CyrusChan »

What is the premise for this, 7 3-4 game winners and Jessica Stephens and Isaac from the college tourney to make a one-week 9-person tourney for one spot in this year's ToC?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Question about the Second Chance tournament?

Post by Ironhorse »

Nobody knows.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Just have Isaac and Jessica come back in two years as challengers, that's all I would want or put them in the pool in two seasons' time.
Since it's Regular Jeopardy, let Isaac finish his undergrad/job stuff first.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Question about the Second Chance tournament?

Post by finishemzoe »

CyrusChan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:18 pm What is the premise for this, 7 3-4 game winners and Jessica Stephens and Isaac from the college tourney to make a one-week 9-person tourney for one spot in this year's ToC?
I feel like they'll make it two weeks, but honestly narrowing it to just 9 would be better imo.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My hot take is that Davies' willingness to bring back $0 winners on Millionaire bodes well for Patrick Pearce.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

earendel wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:52 pm So I'm the only person who likes it?

Edit: I am not. Reddit overwhelmingly loves it. I think the sentiment here is in a distinct minority.
I've been suggesting a Tournament of Losers for years. I like the idea a lot. There are plenty of contestants who have run into buzz saw superchamps. Bring back the ones who made the strongest showing--e.g. the ones who would've won if KJ had missed FJ. Here's my original post from almost 9 years ago (complete with a vintage bonehead mistake in which I thought Julia Lazarus was the returning champ in KJ's first game):

viewtopic.php?p=62965#p62965
I remember this discussion - there was talk about a "Ken Jennings Losers" tournament.
How about a "Gilbert Collins Losers" tournament? Like alietr, I made my peace with having been beaten, but man is it fun to think dream about another shot!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I'd like to see a second chance supertournament but with much more memorable contestants. Here's who I'd invite:

1. Nilai Sarda - lost to Leonard Cooper in a teen tournament final despite beating Leonard Cooper in the semis.
2. Barrett Block - Teen tournament finalist same year as Nilai; he would have won had Leonard followed normal wagering strategy.
3. Alan Koolik - Lost a different teen tournament final on a tiebreaker clue.
4. Isaac Applebaum - the non-advancing winning semifinalist at the NCC
5. Zack Terrill - Led going into the second FJ of a college tournament and lost on a h*******t final clue.
6. Leslie Frates - Had the lead in a M$M SF against Brad Rutter and got FJ right but didn't bet to cover.
7. Brian Weikle - Would have won a ToC if he had wagered correctly. Looked like a pure math error wager.
8. Michael Rooney - Led Brad in a UToC QF and could have won if he had followed normal wagering strategy
9. Steve Chernicoff - Had more than twice Brad's score before FJ in the same UToC QF but missed FJ.
10. Julia Collins - Multiple FJ misses in big spots. Plus the producers love Julia.
11. Roger Craig - Missed a key DD in the BotD that cost him the tournament.
12. Austin Rogers - Missed a key FJ that would have sent him to the finals in All-start. Like Julia, producers love him.
13. Jennifer Quail - didn't go all in on a key DD late in her ToC final that cost her the tournament
14. Adam Levin - Had a final score of 53,999 in his first and only match, losing to James
15. Brian Quinn - Had a solid coryat in his first and only match; he was the first victim to the no-more-ties rule
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:26 pm I'd like to see a second chance supertournament but with much more memorable contestants. Here's who I'd invite:

1. Nilai Sarda - lost to Leonard Cooper in a teen tournament final despite beating Leonard Cooper in the semis.
2. Barrett Block - Teen tournament finalist same year as Nilai; he would have won had Leonard followed normal wagering strategy.
3. Alan Koolik - Lost a different teen tournament final on a tiebreaker clue.
4. Isaac Applebaum - the non-advancing winning semifinalist at the NCC
5. Zack Terrill - Led going into the second FJ of a college tournament and lost on a h*******t final clue.
6. Leslie Frates - Had the lead in a M$M SF against Brad Rutter and got FJ right but didn't bet to cover.
7. Brian Weikle - Would have won a ToC if he had wagered correctly. Looked like a pure math error wager.
8. Michael Rooney - Led Brad in a UToC QF and could have won if he had followed normal wagering strategy
9. Steve Chernicoff - Had more than twice Brad's score before FJ in the same UToC QF but missed FJ.
10. Julia Collins - Multiple FJ misses in big spots. Plus the producers love Julia.
11. Roger Craig - Missed a key DD in the BotD that cost him the tournament.
12. Austin Rogers - Missed a key FJ that would have sent him to the finals in All-start. Like Julia, producers love him.
13. Jennifer Quail - didn't go all in on a key DD late in her ToC final that cost her the tournament
14. Adam Levin - Had a final score of 53,999 in his first and only match, losing to James
15. Brian Quinn - Had a solid coryat in his first and only match; he was the first victim to the no-more-ties rule
um, several of these players won many games already. Adam, Brian Q, and Isaac are the only players who I think should be on there. Maybe Alan.
Last edited by finishemzoe on Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michael Davies indicated the SCT is players since the last ToC. For starters, keep it that way. If it goes well for another go-around then dig deeper.

Isaac is a lock and the Davies message strongly points to Jessica Stephens.