Second-chance tourney coming

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by clprez »

Somehow a tweet of Simi Landau (@MsLandauReads) landed on my twitter feed, and she has her name listed as "Second Chance Simi". Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Ironhorse »

clprez wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:01 pm Somehow a tweet of Simi Landau (@MsLandauReads) landed on my twitter feed, and she has her name listed as "Second Chance Simi". Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Cory Anotado has done something similar with his Twitter profile.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2675
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:01 pm Somehow a tweet of Simi Landau (@MsLandauReads) landed on my twitter feed, and she has her name listed as "Second Chance Simi". Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Cory Anotado has done something similar with his Twitter profile.
He’s had that pretty much since the 2CT was announced
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by gameshowfandanny »

2-Day champion Sam Stapleton announced on Twitter that he will be in the Second Chance Tournament.
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 5058
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by jeff6286 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:45 pm 2-Day champion Sam Stapleton announced on Twitter that he will be in the Second Chance Tournament.
I hope he read his contract properly and had permission to announce that! Coming on the same day that the show says when the official announcement will take place (on a podcast Monday) doesn't feel like great timing.
User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

That’s not what the tweet said.

It said “viewing audience”.

He did not announce he was in the tournament.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Oh, you're right. I misread the tweet.
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 5058
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:50 pm That’s not what the tweet said.

It said “viewing audience”.

He did not announce he was in the tournament.
LOL I almost said "Why not post a link if you're going to share news like this", I should have looked for it myself to verify. :roll:
cubeexpert42
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by cubeexpert42 »

The show just announced the participants and format of the SCT on their website:
https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zon ... ond-chance

There are 18 participants in this tournament- so TPTB went with a different, but familiar format for this tournament. It will just be 2 consecutive weeks of what would be the 2nd week of a regular tournament- 3 semifinals and 2 final matches. Both final winners move on to the ToC.
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 13951
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by MarkBarrett »

cubeexpert42 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm The show just announced the participants and format of the SCT on their website:
https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zon ... ond-chance

There are 18 participants in this tournament- so TPTB went with a different, but familiar format for this tournament. It will just be 2 consecutive weeks of what would be the 2nd week of a regular tournament- 3 semifinals and 2 final matches. Both final winners move on to the ToC.
The ToC might have more than 15 players? There might be some kind of byes in play?
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 8242
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by alietr »

I don't remember any of 'em. Anybody figure out what the "criteria" were?
Golf
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:09 pm I don't remember any of 'em. Anybody figure out what the "criteria" were?
I just went through them, many were competitive games against superchamps. Others were competitive close game losers. I believe all players had very high scores going into FJ. Of course a high score in one game means next to nothing in terms of identifying "deserving" players.

And now two players will be gifted a chance in the ToC. Vomit.
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 5058
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by jeff6286 »

Two spots is kind of a headturner, considering they had exactly the right number of 5+ time champions that left one spot for the Second Chance winner along with the other tournament winners. So now who the heck knows what the TOC might look like?
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by Austin Powers »

This idea is poop and I hope it’s a ratings failure
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by MattKnowles »

Congrats to MasterCone and Cookie. Good luck in the tournament.

I also see the contestant that wrote Harriet Tubma gets another chance and the college tournament contestant that was the fourth semi-finalist but didn’t play in the final. I’m curious about the criteria they used to picked these players.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 9399
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:09 pm I don't remember any of 'em. Anybody figure out what the "criteria" were?
Sadie Goldberger is the recent Harriet Tubma~ scribbler.
User avatar
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by DBear »

Has the 2CT taped yet? I'm wondering if the finals generated a controversy of its own that would necessitate 2 slots. :?
jeopardyfan939
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:52 pm
cubeexpert42 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm The show just announced the participants and format of the SCT on their website:
https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zon ... ond-chance

There are 18 participants in this tournament- so TPTB went with a different, but familiar format for this tournament. It will just be 2 consecutive weeks of what would be the 2nd week of a regular tournament- 3 semifinals and 2 final matches. Both final winners move on to the ToC.
The ToC might have more than 15 players? There might be some kind of byes in play?
I think the ToC will just stay as it is — 15 players.
mungar
Valued Contributor
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by mungar »

DBear wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:29 pm Has the 2CT taped yet? I'm wondering if the finals generated a controversy of its own that would necessitate 2 slots. :?
There are two separate week-long tournaments. So each tournament winner gets a slot.
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 13951
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Second-chance tourney coming

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:52 pm
cubeexpert42 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm The show just announced the participants and format of the SCT on their website:
https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zon ... ond-chance

There are 18 participants in this tournament- so TPTB went with a different, but familiar format for this tournament. It will just be 2 consecutive weeks of what would be the 2nd week of a regular tournament- 3 semifinals and 2 final matches. Both final winners move on to the ToC.
The ToC might have more than 15 players? There might be some kind of byes in play?
I think the ToC will just stay as it is — 15 players.
40, 38, 23
16, 11, 7, 7
Prof, College
6, 6, 6
5,5
SCT, SCT

That's 16 players. Megan (6) has to wait until 2023?
Post Reply