Tuesday, April 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

buffalocell wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
buffalocell wrote:Excessive self-deprecation is never as appealing to others as the self-deprecator thinks it is.
I hate when people who examine the behavior of Jeopardy contestants imply an ability to read their thoughts.
Not talking about any particular Jeopardy contestant; just a general observation. Why does anyone act in a self-deprecating manner if not to appeal to others?
This includes boardies who constantly put themselves down by saying they can't get anything right too, right? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cvanderb
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cvanderb »

The thing that bugged me about the champ is her self-defeating attitude vibe I got from her - throwing her hands up in an "I don't know" gesture often, saying "Well I won't be in the lead for long" when asked to wager on a DD, and the few times she prefixed her response with "I'll just guess 'What is ... '?" I got the impression that this is what TPH would look like if he was playing. (And, before you complain that "I won't be playing because I don't know a freaking thing they ask", you've said you pull Coryat scores similar to mine, and I think I can do all right on the show, so ... ) Cindy, if you're reading this, it's not meant as a mean jab at you (from what I've heard from other champs' experiences, there'll be plenty of those around the 'net, so tread carefully on the Information Superhighway for a while) but it's a self-confidence thing. You've pulled out some surprising gets and you were selected to be on Jeopardy! I'd be pretty darn pleased of my knowledge! (I know, it's a bit late now, as more than likely it's well past your last game's tape date, but ... )
Thanks, but in all honesty I was truly surprised that some of my guesses were hitting. I've already posted about my general dragged-out, sleepy spacey hypothyroid condition, so my memories of the whole experience are a bit hazy. But everyone I know says that I was seemed totally authentic.
I have (and always have had) serious self-confidence issues, and have trouble acknowledging any abilities I might have. Intellectually I know that I did ok, but I have to fight down feeling like a loser for missing some easy stuff. I really do appreciate your advice and realize it's meant well. I'm hoping at some point I will start feeling more like a winner. :-) Thanks again!
Last edited by trainman on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add quote tags
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cvanderb wrote:
The thing that bugged me about the champ is her self-defeating attitude vibe I got from her - throwing her hands up in an "I don't know" gesture often, saying "Well I won't be in the lead for long" when asked to wager on a DD, and the few times she prefixed her response with "I'll just guess 'What is ... '?" I got the impression that this is what TPH would look like if he was playing. (And, before you complain that "I won't be playing because I don't know a freaking thing they ask", you've said you pull Coryat scores similar to mine, and I think I can do all right on the show, so ... ) Cindy, if you're reading this, it's not meant as a mean jab at you (from what I've heard from other champs' experiences, there'll be plenty of those around the 'net, so tread carefully on the Information Superhighway for a while) but it's a self-confidence thing. You've pulled out some surprising gets and you were selected to be on Jeopardy! I'd be pretty darn pleased of my knowledge! (I know, it's a bit late now, as more than likely it's well past your last game's tape date, but ... )
Thanks, but in all honesty I was truly surprised that some of my guesses were hitting. I've already posted about my general dragged-out, sleepy spacey hypothyroid condition, so my memories of the whole experience are a bit hazy. But everyone I know says that I was seemed totally authentic.
I have (and always have had) serious self-confidence issues, and have trouble acknowledging any abilities I might have. Intellectually I know that I did ok, but I have to fight down feeling like a loser for missing some easy stuff. I really do appreciate your advice and realize it's meant well. I'm hoping at some point I will start feeling more like a winner. :-) Thanks again!
Just browse j-archive.com for some of the clues Ken Jennings missed to put your mind at ease on your missed questions. (And there's always the supercomputer that beat the game's two best players that thinks Toronto is an American city. (Just because it has an NBA and a MLB team ...))

And, at the very least, you'll feel like a winner in about a month (?) when you get your cheque. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:And, at the very least, you'll feel like a winner in about a month (?) when you get your cheque. ;)
The check comes "within 120 days".