Monday, March 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, March 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 pm Add me to those that didn't know Terpsichore was pronounced that way, and couldn't sus that clue out.

FJ was WWI site + peninsula + Cape Hellas = WECIB
You've got a pont there
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

harrumph wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:10 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:00 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 pm FJ was WWI site + peninsula + Cape Hellas = WECIB

To me, Hellas = Greece, & Greece + peninsula = Peloponnesus, every time.
Gallipoli =/= Greece, so that was not on my radar.
Suvla Bay sounds Turkish, and combined with Hellas places the clue in that part of the world. Is there any other WWI reference besides Gallipoli that would be a reasonable guess given the TOM?
Putting aside the geographic references, the other TOM was “landing”, implying an amphibious operation, of which there was only one of note in WWI, at Gallipoli. Hellas was just additional confirmation for me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Finally, the slump has ended and I will not join the box of glory this week.
The place names meant nothing to me, but it's Jeopardy and WW1 and time for another Gallipoli clue, with or without a Churchill TOM.

I thought Matt was maybe going to go on a run, but FJ is always an X-factor. I'm glad Amy rebounded from what I thought was a tough DD. WTH does unincorporated even mean (rhetorical Q)? Why ISN'T someplace that big incorporated? I guessed Silver Spring Maryland thinking it might not be inc'd. Bethesda is way too well known to be a ronin.

Holes in one are inevitable, although mine hasn't come calling yet. I know Golf wasn't humblebragging, but depending on what mental attitude Matt has, he probably holed out with an 8 or 9 iron. 120 yard gap wedges are for low handicappers ;). Matt is relatively young and strong, so a 9 iron is seems likely. Many golfers let their ego take over and don't choose the best club for their game. According to the USGA, the average 8 iron distance is 130 yards with a big drop to 115 yards for the 9 iron. But there was that one day I pure'd a wedge to 125, so hand me my wedge!

The alpha particle clue was pretty tough for 2nd row. I know the source is Americium, but hadn't ever made the deduction they want the nicely charged alpha particles to do the dirty work.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:10 pm Suvla Bay sounds Turkish, and combined with Hellas places the clue in that part of the world. Is there any other WWI reference besides Gallipoli that would be a reasonable guess given the TOM?
Suvla Bay didn't sound Turkish to me, in fact it made me think of Subic Bay, which is in the Philippines. Didn't matter, though. It combined with Hellas and WWI made it Gallipoli for me without any hesitation.

I think Jutland is a decent guess. It was purely a naval battle, though.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Cape Helles got me to Hellespont/Turkey and then to Gallipoli (having seen the movie many years ago also helped)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

HOBBIES $200: Maybe you want to make this type of decorative window; Chartres Cathedral has ones for inspiration

I said rose window—although making rose windows may perhaps be a bit intense for a hobby, I don't think the clue is sufficiently pinned to rule it wrong! HOBBIES is subjective, while "decorative window" and "Chartres Cathedral has ones" don't rule it out.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:40 pm I'm glad Amy rebounded from what I thought was a tough DD. WTH does unincorporated even mean (rhetorical Q)? Why ISN'T someplace that big incorporated? I guessed Silver Spring Maryland thinking it might not be inc'd. Bethesda is way too well known to be a ronin.
Maryland and Virginia both have the "strong county" form of local government, meaning it's very difficult for municipalities to incorporate. So, many of the biggest settlements in both states, e.g. Columbia, Md. and Arlington, Va., have no legal existence.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Lach Trash: aerie, "Take Me To The River", Kierkegaard

FJ: :( (Jutland)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:56 pm HOBBIES $200: Maybe you want to make this type of decorative window; Chartres Cathedral has ones for inspiration

I said rose window—although making rose windows may perhaps be a bit intense for a hobby, I don't think the clue is sufficiently pinned to rule it wrong! HOBBIES is subjective, while "decorative window" and "Chartres Cathedral has ones" don't rule it out.
I thought of rose window, too, although would have said stained glass. I see no reason why rose window wouldn't be accepted and I bet Ken was even ready for it.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Just as I eventually learned that Gainsborough painted Blue Boy by playing/watching enough trivia over enough years, I feel that I should eventually starting recognizing clues pointing to Gallipoli since J! seems to like it, but it hasn't happened yet. Depressingly, I spent about 35 seconds trying to think of the word "Balkan".
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I've been getting Lynda Carter mixed up with Lindsay Wagner and Diana Rigg.

Poll request for Amor Towles.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:56 pm HOBBIES $200: Maybe you want to make this type of decorative window; Chartres Cathedral has ones for inspiration

Our senior trip for high school (1984) was a trip to France. We landed at Orly and the first city we visited was Chartres. The Chartres Cathedral was beautiful...by far the largest church I had ever seen. Not knowing much about France or French culture (I took Latin)...I thought there couldn't be anything like that cathedral anywhere else and took, I think, two rolls of film. We paid special attention to the stained glass windows.

Little did I know that EVERY city we visited had a cathedral...leaving very little film for Notre Dame when we finally arrived in Paris.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:55 am
Poll request for Amor Towles.
That was a tough one. I' had never heard of the book, which came out in October. (I read the NYT Book Review, but I am definitely behind...) I had to look it up to realize he is the author of A Gentleman in Moscow, a very celebrated recent novel that I've thought about picking up. (Soon to be a streaming series starring Kenneth Branagh, maybe.) It's been a J! clue, but only as a fill-in-the-blank, and the author wasn't mentioned. Even if I knew the author, his name is a tricky one that I might have been afraid of getting wrong.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:11 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:55 am Poll request for Amor Towles.
... Even if I knew the author, his name is a tricky one that I might have been afraid of getting wrong.
Towles seems pretty easy to remember.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:17 pm
... Even if I knew the author, his name is a tricky one that I might have been afraid of getting wrong.
Not for me. It's an odd name and spelling. And is it To-wles or Tow-les? I'll take Ken's way, and I know for J! purposes it doesn't matter. Still, it might make me hesitate...Also, when I started to write my post, I called him Amon Towles. I might say something like that on J! without enough reflection...I know, never use first names!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:33 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:17 pm
Not for me. It's an odd name and spelling. And is it To-wles or Tow-les?
I would make it 1 syllable. Rhymes with bowls.
brick

Post by brick »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:55 am I've been getting Lynda Carter mixed up with Lindsay Wagner and Diana Rigg.
That is baffling. It's hard for me to imagine confusing any to of them, let alone all three. Visually? Or in terms of their body of work?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

brick wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:55 am I've been getting Lynda Carter mixed up with Lindsay Wagner and Diana Rigg.
That is baffling. It's hard for me to imagine confusing any to of them, let alone all three. Visually? Or in terms of their body of work?
They’re all filed under “lead women in cheesy action roles on tv a decade before I was born”

My filing system isn’t perfect and may be inaccurate. Lindsey Wagner and Lynda Carter have names that sort of sound alike. Never watched any of the shows.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:33 pm
They’re all filed under “lead women in cheesy action roles on tv a decade before I was born”

My filing system isn’t perfect and may be inaccurate. Lindsey Wagner and Lynda Carter have names that sort of sound alike. Never watched any of the shows.
I can see the confusion for Wagner and Carter. Diana Rigg is of a different order, with a great body of work in film and as a classical actress in London and the US. (I saw her as Medea and, late in her life, Henry Higgins' mother on Broadway, and in the 80s in Sondheim in the West End.)
The Avengers is campy but not cheesy, and 2 or 3 decades before you were born.
brick

Post by brick »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:44 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:33 pm

I can see the confusion for Wagner and Carter. Diana Rigg is of a different order, with a great body of work in film and as a classical actress in London and the US. (I saw her as Medea and, late in her life, Henry Higgins' mother on Broadway, and in the 80s in Sondheim in the West End.)
The Avengers is campy but not cheesy, and 2 or 3 decades before you were born.
It's also challenging with people who were famous for a very long time. You might feel confident about what they look like in one era but not recognize them at a different age. (This concern more related to Dame Riggs than Ms Wagner or Carter.)