Thursday, April 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by thenextofken »

Might not have gotten the Marathon questions if I hadn't actually run one when I was 15 years old. As far as FJ, I got it, but it was WAG of WAGs. I just figured the J stood for Jordan, and figured maybe the HK stood for "Hussein King," or somesuch.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

They call it the "United Kingdom" and it's led by that old queen.
Awful game to watch. I thought the middle guy would do well but how much dead air was there? I'm sure the contestant search people like younger contestants but the show suffers.

First FJ I missed in 11 games. I had no idea. Couldn't get out of Europe...
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I echo previous sentiments. That was painful.

I hung onto Hong Kong for at most 10 seconds before realizing it was entirely too obvious. Tried the "something Kingdom of" route and Jordan made much more sense than the alternatives so I stuck to it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Oh, to have been at the champ's podium tonight. All of the DDs were slam dunks and quite bettable. The lock would have been a lot higher than 8600 ahead. The money would not have gone anywhere because the FJ category was zero temptation.

Does Sporcle have a quiz on the stickers because my familiarity with them is non-existent? I looked at the clue and didn't even know which letter to work with as a starting point. Hong Kong was wrong was all I knew. Just to have something on the paper I wrote Thailand which demonstrates I need to do some studying on population also.

Nice victory by Jacob to get the repeat. Somone had to win.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Aside: as far as I'm concerned, a pegasus is a pegasus, NOT a horse. Horses don't have wings. :P
davey

Post by davey »

Leaper wrote:Aside: as far as I'm concerned, a pegasus is a pegasus, NOT a horse. Horses don't have wings. :P
Pegasus was a horse with wings. And he was one of a kind, not a species.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

davey wrote:
Leaper wrote:Aside: as far as I'm concerned, a pegasus is a pegasus, NOT a horse. Horses don't have wings. :P
That was sort of my point. To me, a horse with wings isn't a horse - it's a mythological beastie that resembles a horse, but is not itself a horse.

The reminder that Pegasus was a lone being is a far better point in my mind.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

What was that? An affront to good Jeopardy!

Whatever law school the guy in the middle went to, I wouldn't recommend it...

(Lord, I know it's going to be Yale or something like that...)
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
davey

Post by davey »

StevenH wrote: Tennessee Williams dying from choking on a pill bottle cap is an interesting bit of trivia but it does not belong as the correct response to a J! clue.
I remember the news reports about it vividly. If I'd been on the show it would have brought me another $1000. So I think it's quite appropriate.

HKJ on the other hand - another painful blank. Except...Yes, I knew Hong Kong was wrong - but you have to write something down...
Last edited by davey on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

one-nil wrote:What was that? An affront to good Jeopardy!

I should remind you that sometimes the contestants venture onto here and read the posts, so please choose your words kindly. Just because he had a bad game (and it WAS one game) doesn't mean he didn't go to a good law school, or that he won't make a great attorney some day.
davey

Post by davey »

Leaper wrote:
davey wrote:
That was sort of my point. To me, a horse with wings isn't a horse - it's a mythological beastie that resembles a horse, but is not itself a horse.

But if we've established that "Pegasus" is a name, not a "type of animal," what else are we going to call it when prompted for a "type of animal in flight"?
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

thenextofken wrote:
one-nil wrote:What was that? An affront to good Jeopardy!

I should remind you that sometimes the contestants venture onto here and read the posts, so please choose your words kindly. Just because he had a bad game (and it WAS one game) doesn't mean he didn't go to a good law school, or that he won't make a great attorney some day.
I've been on both ends!

Focus is of the utmost importance on this programme. The champ forgot to include "pace" in one of his responses; the guy in the middle did not answer with a world capital. They're all smart, yes, but when you're under the lights, you have to concentrate. More important, you have to be cool.

These players were not concentrating. Nor were they cool.

Besides, I'm in the throes of a posting spree -- once every few years. In truth, I couldn't get into Southwestern nowadays...
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

davey wrote:
Leaper wrote:
davey wrote: Pegasus was a horse with wings. And he was one of a kind, not a species.

But if we've established that "Pegasus" is a name, not a "type of animal," what else are we going to call it when prompted for a "type of animal in flight"?
I would've phrased the clue differently to begin with, personally.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:Is it well known that 130/26 = 5? I'd say yes.
Yeah, how do you shortcut your way into that? Not seeing it.
25*5=125. Add 5 and there ya go. Not difficult.
thenextofken wrote:Might not have gotten the Marathon questions if I hadn't actually run one when I was 15 years old. As far as FJ, I got it, but it was WAG of WAGs. I just figured the J stood for Jordan, and figured maybe the HK stood for "Hussein King," or somesuch.
Per everyone's favorite information source, Wikipedia, it stands for Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:It helped that no European countries that I could recall began with an H in their native tongue and were kingdoms.
Only "H" European country (in native tongue) that comes to mind is Hrvastka (Croatia), but, you are right, not a kingdom (and you probalby thought about it).

However, it doesn't have to be native tongue, after all, HKJ is the country's full name in English, not in its native tongue, which is اَلمَمْلَكَة اَلأُرْدُنِّيَّة اَلْهَاشِمِيَّة (or "Al-Mamlakah Al-Urdaniyyah Al-Hashimiyyah" - MUH?) But then, I would think that Jeopardy! contestants would know that Hong Kong isn't a kingdom either.

I was pleased to see the category ("Oh! A wheelhouse of mine that they haven't used yet!") Foolishly, however, I tried to shoehorn Saudi Arabia in early (thinking of the Hejaz) and couldn't budge from there, despite Jordan being right next door.

And I'll add to the "what's with all the Lach Trash today?" crowd. I don't keep track of my Lach Trach haul when I play, but I'm sure I must have set a record today.

(And I was definitely cheering for Ben, despite his and everyone else's missing easy clues, to get him back on top after those two failed TDDs (if the second one can be counted a TDD.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote: Only "H" European country (in native tongue) that comes to mind is Hrvastka (Croatia), but, you are right, not a kingdom (and you probalby thought about it).
Helvetia and Hellas. I went through those and determined they weren't monarchies but then knew there was another one but couldn't quite put my finger on it quickly (Slovakia? Slovenia? I was in the right area, at least). Tried naming monarchies outside Europe as a last gasp but could only come up with Thailand, Tonga, and Japan before the time ended. Never thought of treating HKJ as an acronym, unfortunately.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

O M G. This round was truly painful to watch. The champ managed to not embarrass himself, but as a group these three did not exactly shine. More Lach Trash than I care to think about in this one. :roll:
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

CyrusChan wrote:was shocked nobody got the Villains especially, O'Brien!

If anything I learned from that book it's Big Brother, WInston, Julia and O'Brien who operated a shop and gave the two a place for sex or something.

Great Lakes was laughable when you cannot tell me which Lake Indiana touches!

I actually found the Ireland/Irish ones(sans last one) weren't too bad and the MRs. was poorly written as Bancroft and Jolie should have been swapped.
Well...for a change, the writing was fine, and the contestants...uh...like I said, the writing was fine.

Having a very Irish last name, and a father who comes from Ulster/Northern Ireland, my reaction to that miss is unrecordable! I giving the writing staff credit for qualifying that 'most' of the province is now 'Northern Ireland.' But guessing 'Derry'? Kiss my 'Derry air.' :x

Just too many screw-ups and stumpers. Lousy on geography(Great Lakes), novels, movies, Irish history. They pulled a 'Stockdale'..."Who are they? Why are they here?"
And, let's see, a George Orwell novel, and no mention of animals, 'Boxer' or 'Napoleon'...what other book could it be?
Alex seemed unusually peeved at the collective display of 'dumbth'(a word coined by Steve Allen...who probably would also have TS'd that bunch.)
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Wasn't it inappropriate and just plain disrespectful for Alex to comment on the players' lack of literature knowledge? There could be any number of reasons the contestants did not buzz in, and, even if it is the case (which I truly doubt) that they had never heard of 1984 or The Olde Curiosity Shoppe, they don't deserve to be called stupid on national television for it.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

stevo4212 wrote:Wasn't it inappropriate and just plain disrespectful for Alex to comment on the players' lack of literature knowledge? There could be any number of reasons the contestants did not buzz in, and, even if it is the case (which I truly doubt) that they had never heard of 1984 or The Olde Curiosity Shoppe, they don't deserve to be called stupid on national television for it.
I liked Alex's 'Sure..HER you know!' when Angelina Jolie was correctly answered, after the Joan Crawford/Anne Bancroft goof.