FJs for the 4/18/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/18/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Befitting the title, Antoine Galland, the first Western translator of this collection, worked on it only "after dinner"
60%
Old maps depicting what's now this 125,000-square-mile country labeled the area with the French word for "teeth"
33%
This website launched in 2015 with 3 offerings, from James Patterson, Dustin Hoffman & Serena Williams
40%
The title character of this film has the same name as the Roman goddess of the dawn
47%
DNA from 2 living descendants of Anne of York was used to identify the remains of this man
83%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
2%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
THE ABCs OF INDIAN FOOD $1000: V is for this mega-hot curry, adapted from a Portuguese dish & originally made with pork
59%
THE LEAGUE LEADER $1000: Peaking in Europe in the 14th century, this German trading league began to fade & held its last diet in 1669
93%
FIRSTS $2000: In 1914 Tampa had the world's first scheduled passenger airline service, with pretty short flights--to this city
52%
My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue included "Arabian Nights".
42%
My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue included "Thousand" in some form.
32%
Côte d'Ivoire was my correct response for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
21%
ivory Coast was my correct response for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
Sierra Leone was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
7%
Audible was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
15%
Cameo was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
7%
I thought of MasterClass during the 30 seconds and still missed the Wednesday FJ! clue.
1%
I have direct experience using MasterClass.
1%
[Requested] BIBLICAL DEVOTIONS $2000 DD: "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it" is from the 8th chapter of this biblical book - I was correct with Song of Solomon. (or its other acceptable names)
37%
I missed the Thursday Final even though I knew the names of both the Roman goddess and the Disney princess.
6%
I missed the Thursday Final because I didn't know the name of the Roman goddess.
21%
I missed the Thursday Final because I didn't know the name of the Disney princess.
9%
I missed the Thursday Final because I knew the names of neither the goddess nor the princess.
20%

Total votes: 81

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 4/18/22 week

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
another member of the popular M-F club 8-)

M- Arabian Nights, hoping I didn't need the numbered part; brain locked on 99 (bottles of beer?), 101 (stupid dogs?)
Tu- Sudan, because Congo is a river and the other ones are definitely huger. I see 125,000 as 400 x 300 = average size prairie state. Even thought of Ivory Coast but Cote didn't sound toothy.
W- Bupkus. I have heard of it. I guess my browsing history isn't highbrow enough to get the popups :lol:. (thanks for all the cat videos, but enough golf spam, please :eyeroll:).
Put Instagram just to be wrong.
Th- Didn't know Sleeping Beauty had a name. Don't like title characters as a TOM when the name isn't used in the title. Would have missed it without the fake-out.
F- Remembered/guessed the right name and Roman numeral. Didn't know the other details until Opus posted his take.

Don't like hot food, I'm scared to even look at a Thai or Indian menu.
I apparently got enough of the dead white European male education in 9th grade to get this without caring.
I guessed St. Pete because I couldn't think of Clearwater fast enough. I know both are proximal. (both are about 25 miles, but depending on the bridge situation back then, it might have been a 2 hour auto trip or all day horse ride, so a plane ride is cromulent if you got the coin.
countyguy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm Wow, 98% for Hanseatic. In LL some years ago only 35% got it, though the question was slightly harder that time (but then again, in LL you have more time and no incentive to clam)

https://learnedleague.com/question.php?71&6&3
I think that "German trading league" is probably worth the 62% difference:
from LL, with apologies to the copyright police:
The cities of Lübeck, Hamburg, Bremen, Riga, Königsberg, and Dortmund were among a confederation that was known collectively during the Late Middle Ages as what?

This is one of those embedded knowledge things that might as well have been implanted. At least I've forgotten all those damn explorers and dates so I have room for the times table.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: FJs for the 4/18/22 week

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My kingdom for a correct response!
Arabian Nights
Cote D'Ivoire
Got Song of Solomon
Sprinkles are for winners.