Tuesday, April 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Looking at the boxscore, her two opponents combined almost didn’t match Mattea’s buzz attempts (they combined for 48 (24 each) to her 45).

This was one of her games that felt like it was over after a handful of clues. Reya somewhat stayed within range where you at least thought she could make it interesting but Mattea was just too fast and too good.

I do feel bad for Nicky if he ran into any difficulty being on the stage, but he did try to ring in as much as Reya did. He just couldn’t find any kind of groove from the start.

There are times that I am not in love with “theatrics” but it isn’t often. Mattea doesn’t bother me at all - her personality just comes through wonderfully on screen, I think. Someone like her likely isn’t nervous in front of those cameras, which is a built in advantage. She probably isn’t feeling too much pressure with her streak. Meanwhile, opponents are running into the double whammy of being nervous on the stage AND seeing what they are up against.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm always hesitant to call out an FJ when at least one of the contestants gets it, but this one was a stinker, I have to say.

We now have 3 of the top 10 longest streaks in this season alone. Something seems to have changed. Mattea is very, very good (especially for her age), and I enjoy watching her, but I just don't think she'd hold her own against some of the greats who won far fewer games. And that is absolutely not meant as an insult.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:54 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:33 pm
ACW wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:41 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:38 pm I don't see how the FJ clue is "fitting".
Adetokunbo :arrow: Antetokounmpo: Defending NBA champion.
Yes, I see that part. Not sure the crown returning from overseas. Is that the NBA crown?

Edit: further discussed below
Yes. The family is once again crowned (because it's the NBA Champion). Bit too clever by half though, but I can appreciate the attempt. Focusing on the crown part is setting you up for failure; probably why they tried emphasizing the name through the category...

Might have been better last year, when he was the reigning league MVP (as opposed to Finals MVP)
With playoffs currently, it is timely though.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:10 am
We now have 3 of the top 10 longest streaks in this season alone.
This season has been ridiculous.
Interesting to see ToC where buzzer won't be so dominated by one contestant. Since of Mattea's buzzer % are lights out.
doihavetoreally

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:36 am
The family left their homeland, and now their son is one of the most successful athletes in the world and likely the most revered person in that home country. It's a bit of a stretch, but not to the degree that many in this thread are suggesting.
Won't be the last time I'll miss a FJ because of wavelength clash with writers. Let's just hope it is not when I'm on the stage.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another "dizzying" performance by Mattea.

Slam dunk Final for me.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:18 am Mattea had a couple of good gets. The Catholic related DD was hard, I've never run into the expression in the wild.
Bell, Book and Candle is a 1958 film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak. (1958 film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak: THERE'S an interesting misdirect.) I think that was the way in for most people. I haven't seen the film and was perhaps vaguely aware of the Catholic connection. But the title is quite familiar. Couple it with the category "____, ____ & ____" and a starting item that gets "tolled" and there's plenty of time to get there on a DD. I think I got it fast enough to have buzzed in if it was a regular play clue.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:36 am
Xu Donym wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:05 pm an NBA star who hasn't had that surname since he became a Greek citizen and his family changed their surname to the more Greek-sounding "Antetokounmpo."
In modern Greek, delta makes a voiced th sound, beta makes a v sound, and upsilon makes an i sound. For actual d, b, and u sounds, you have to use nu-tau, mu-pi, and omicron-upsilon respectively. Adetokunbo becomes three letters longer in Greek because of this. They didn't change their surname to something more Greek-sounding; it got a Greek alphabet spelling that would preserve the pronunciation of their name in Greece. Then it got romanized letter by letter.
I've heard of Giannis but wasn't familiar enough with either version of his surname to get FJ!. In any case, this explanation is fantastic. (Which reminds me: Alex Trebek : Good for you! :: Ken Jennings : That's fantastic!)

Although this was another impressive performance by Mattea, the science weakness was definitely apparent. No one got "hemophilia" when spotted "hereditary bleeding disorder"? "Enzyme" should have been gettable as well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Since we have confirmation that both Reya and Nicky use they/them pronouns, may I please encourage use of the same in this thread? Thanks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:27 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:12 pm What Mattea was looking for, is called, thurible. Only reason I know is I have seen the botafumeiro/one in Santiago de Campostela.
A few weeks back I texted our daughter that we'd be sitting in a different place in church that Sunday because I was thurifer.

"Thurifer?" she texted back.

"The guy that carries the thurible."
Both sound like words Sylvester the cat would enjoy saying. :)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clues in Comic Book. Easily ran the other categories.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:26 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:27 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:12 pm What Mattea was looking for, is called, thurible. Only reason I know is I have seen the botafumeiro/one in Santiago de Campostela.
A few weeks back I texted our daughter that we'd be sitting in a different place in church that Sunday because I was thurifer.

"Thurifer?" she texted back.

"The guy that carries the thurible."
Both sound like words Sylvester the cat would enjoy saying. :)
Some scoundrel stole my thurible!

Ah, Mel Blanc. I wish we could bring you back just to say that.
brick

Post by brick »

Did you walk there?
brick

Post by brick »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:47 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:25 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:09 pm So is Alger not brought up in high school lit classes these days and the three millennials never heard of him? Never actually read a book by him (or even an excerpt) but it was a person to know when I was in school.
I'm in my 30's from the East Coast and he wasn't touched in my English classes.
I'm in my 60s and I don't think he was ever touched in my lit classes either. His work has never been taken seriously as literature. Possibly he was mentioned in a history class but I know the name first as proverbial - "a Horatio Alger tale" is "rags-to-riches."
I think Horatio Alger has just been one of those trivia facts for a very long time. Like the words you only learn if you play Scrabble or solve crosswords.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

brick wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:49 pm
davey wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:47 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:25 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:09 pm So is Alger not brought up in high school lit classes these days and the three millennials never heard of him? Never actually read a book by him (or even an excerpt) but it was a person to know when I was in school.
I'm in my 30's from the East Coast and he wasn't touched in my English classes.
I'm in my 60s and I don't think he was ever touched in my lit classes either. His work has never been taken seriously as literature. Possibly he was mentioned in a history class but I know the name first as proverbial - "a Horatio Alger tale" is "rags-to-riches."
I think Horatio Alger has just been one of those trivia facts for a very long time. Like the words you only learn if you play Scrabble or solve crosswords.
Even in the yuppie-filled '80s when I went to school, Horatio Alger stories were seen as antiquated. He's a trivia name, nothing more now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:36 am
Xu Donym wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:05 pm an NBA star who hasn't had that surname since he became a Greek citizen and his family changed their surname to the more Greek-sounding "Antetokounmpo."
In modern Greek, delta makes a voiced th sound, beta makes a v sound, and upsilon makes an i sound. For actual d, b, and u sounds, you have to use nu-tau, mu-pi, and omicron-upsilon respectively. Adetokunbo becomes three letters longer in Greek because of this. They didn't change their surname to something more Greek-sounding; it got a Greek alphabet spelling that would preserve the pronunciation of their name in Greece. Then it got romanized letter by letter.
I've heard of Giannis but wasn't familiar enough with either version of his surname to get FJ!. In any case, this explanation is fantastic.
Let me add to it then: another letter that's not really pronounced the way we think of it in modern Greek is gamma, which, when followed by an e or i sound, is now closer to the consonant y sound in English—think Hagia Sophia, gyro, and (relevant to this FJ) Giannis. (Followed by other vowels, it sounds like something I might spell as "gh.") To bring a hard g sound into Greek now, you have to spell it kappa-gamma.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:14 am Since we have confirmation that both Reya and Nicky use they/them pronouns, may I please encourage use of the same in this thread? Thanks.
[thumbs up]
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:10 am I'm always hesitant to call out an FJ when at least one of the contestants gets it, but this one was a stinker, I have to say.

We now have 3 of the top 10 longest streaks in this season alone. Something seems to have changed. Mattea is very, very good (especially for her age), and I enjoy watching her, but I just don't think she'd hold her own against some of the greats who won far fewer games. And that is absolutely not meant as an insult.
The casting change is so dramatic that it isn't remotely the same show.

I'm fairly strong on sports, and I'd like to say the name was close enough that I got there, and followed it to Greece, knowing he's from there. But I didn't see it at all - thought it might be a Liberia connection to a recent president, but it didn't quite parse. Nevertheless, it was gettable and it's nice to see a tougher sports question on a show where sports questions tend to be very easy.
Last edited by Anachronism on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:18 am Mattea had a couple of good gets. The Catholic related DD was hard, I've never run into the expression in the wild.
Bell, Book and Candle is a 1958 film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak. (1958 film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak: THERE'S an interesting misdirect.) I think that was the way in for most people. I haven't seen the film and was perhaps vaguely aware of the Catholic connection. But the title is quite familiar. Couple it with the category "____, ____ & ____" and a starting item that gets "tolled" and there's plenty of time to get there on a DD. I think I got it fast enough to have buzzed in if it was a regular play clue.
My way in was from playing Zork when it was resident on MIT-AI’s DEC-20. You had to collect a bell, a book and a candle and bring them to perform an exorcism.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:16 pm My way in was from playing Zork when it was resident on MIT-AI’s DEC-20. You had to collect a bell, a book and a candle and bring them to perform an exorcism.
I got a copy of Zork on CD-ROM Today when I was 7. It was a magazine that came with a shareware disc. I always tossed the mag aside and played the game. It was later split into boot for Windows and MacAddict for the Mac. I eventually lost interest when my computer got too old to play most games anymore.

I got stuck in Zork a lot and just kept going in circles. Tried to emulate it a few years back but still couldn't find my way around.

Also on that installment of CD-ROM Today was my first exposure to Doctor Who: a Chase clone called Daleks.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I was going to reply with that. But it got censered.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.