Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)aS

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:38 am
Leander wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:51 pm I fall into the camp of having seen the movie as a teenager, which was so long ago that I’ve forgotten almost everything about it, including that it started with a newsreel. However, I knew from any number of sources besides the actual movie that Xanadu was the name of Kane’s estate.
That was me. I last saw it about 30 years ago and if you had asked me to describe the first scene I would have said it was Kane dying and dropping the snow globe. But I did remember the name of his house. Not sure if I could have gotten it if FJ was “Citizen Kane’s home was named this”.
Your memory is correct. We've been saying the newsreel begins the movie but it's actually a few minutes in, after Kane's death. The clue refers to how the newsreel begins. Even there, the first words of the announcer are an introduction, "News...on the March!!" Meant to evoke the real newsreel "The March of Time."
Last edited by davey on Fri May 06, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Re: Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:33 am MOVIES THAT START WITH SPINNING NEWSPAPERS could be another regular category. I think more than one Frank Capra film begins this way--possibly Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and It's a Wonderful Life?
It's a Wonderful Life opens in Bedford Falls as we hear townspeople praying for George Bailey, and then right to heaven - a shot of the stars - for the angel Clarence to learn about George's life before his intervention. No newspapers.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

seaborgium wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 pm Sarah didn't need to make the Golf-recommended wager; she just needed Mattea to have done so in the previous DD.
Golf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:49 pm Yet another contestant playing not to lose against a 22-time champion instead of playing to win.
"Yet another"? How many games with 22-time champions have you seen?
Umm…98?
52 After Ken won his 22nd game
18 after Amy did
16 after Matt did
10 after James
and now this one.
And that's not counting later tournament games. How would you count a game with two super-champs on the stage?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:22 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:33 am MOVIES THAT START WITH SPINNING NEWSPAPERS could be another regular category. I think more than one Frank Capra film begins this way--possibly Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and It's a Wonderful Life?
It's a Wonderful Life opens in Bedford Falls as we hear townspeople praying for George Bailey, and then right to heaven - a shot of the stars - for the angel Clarence to learn about George's life before his intervention. No newspapers.
Maybe It Happened One NIght, then?
brick

Post by brick »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
That might be. I love that movie, but it's been a while since I watched it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DavidRosen wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:02 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 pm Sarah didn't need to make the Golf-recommended wager; she just needed Mattea to have done so in the previous DD.
Golf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:49 pm Yet another contestant playing not to lose against a 22-time champion instead of playing to win.
Umm…98?
18 after Amy did
16 after Matt did
10 after James
and now this one.
And that's not counting later tournament games. How would you count a game with two super-champs on the stage?
Winning a 23rd game makes one no longer a 22-time champion.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

DBear wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:56 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm And yeah, that DD3 wager... if you're not confident, it's not so bad to bet $5. But Sarah was clearly playing fantastically. She has to try and go for the win right there. The middle ground between $5 and a bet that ends the game on a get is never the correct choice.
Sarah had 17,400 while Mattea had 11,400. There will be 7200 in clues left. Two are in Astronomy, a weak category for Mattea. Take the shot! :geek:
Take what shot? what would you wager? If Mattea answers one of the remaining clues, she would have at least 13k, so is Sarah supposed to go for 26k? Why would she wager 9k+?

My approach would have just like hers. Try not to let Mattea get 2/3's (which I assume Mattea can possibly get 15k so my goal would be 22.5k) and be in the winning position going into FJ. It's easier to write a correct response in 30s than say a correct response in 10s.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Golf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 pm Sarah led 17600 to 11400 to minus 2000 at DD3. Adding 5000 increased the lead, but did not give her a runaway at the point. Mattea, on this day, says gracias.
Yet another contestant playing not to lose against a 22-time champion instead of playing to win. Of course the DD3 wager should not surprise anybody after leaving $200 on the table on DD1.

I think this is the third time a contestant has let Mattea up off the mat when she should have been toast.
How much trust would you have in Trust?
Last edited by CyrusChan on Fri May 06, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Quizizz Jammer

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Gluten Free Category $600 and The Bottom Two in TV Mother's Day.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear

Post by DBear »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm And yeah, that DD3 wager... if you're not confident, it's not so bad to bet $5. But Sarah was clearly playing fantastically. She has to try and go for the win right there. The middle ground between $5 and a bet that ends the game on a get is never the correct choice.
Sarah had 17,400 while Mattea had 11,400. There will be 7200 in clues left. Two are in Astronomy, a weak category for Mattea. Take the shot! :geek:
Take what shot? what would you wager? If Mattea answers one of the remaining clues, she would have at least 13k, so is Sarah supposed to go for 26k? Why would she wager 9k+?

My approach would have just like hers. Try not to let Mattea get 2/3's (which I assume Mattea can possibly get 15k so my goal would be 22.5k) and be in the winning position going into FJ. It's easier to write a correct response in 30s than say a correct response in 10s.
Go ALL IN. This gives Sarah 34,800. Mattea needs to get all remaining clues to avoid the lock. As noted earlier, two are in Mattea's weak category. Why give Mattea a 25% chance (Mattea right on FJ!, Sarah wrong as actually happened) when Sarah can give Mattea 0% chance?
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
There's a sequence about half an hour in - headlines, presses, bundles - but no spinning. Nor (near the start, anyway) in Meet John Doe, which takes place in a newspaper office.
Yes, there's a newspaper-headline sequence near the beginning of Mr. Deeds, but it's more floating-in-and-out, not spinning...
The Kane newsreel has a great sequence with world newspapers - they're being pulled off a stack, no spinning.
It's remarkably easy to find these movies online...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks for the research!
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 am It's easier to write a correct response in 30s than say a correct response in 10s.
The numbers don't bear that out. Over the past three seasons, the solve rate for DJ! DDs is 65.2%. In FJ!, that number drops to 47.1%. Frankly, that's the best argument for going for broke on the DD. You know the DD category, and you know the DD is likely to be objectively easier than FJ! Unless the category is one that makes you particularly queasy, putting the ball on your own racket with a roughly 2/3 shot of winning is perfectly reasonable. My only point was that it isn't the only reasonable choice.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:29 am
DavidRosen wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:02 am
Umm…98?
18 after Amy did
16 after Matt did
10 after James
and now this one.
Winning a 23rd game makes one no longer a 22-time champion.
Based on this, I'm going with 5.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This game was hard to watch, knowing how it would end. Poor Sarah.

I've watched the last 5 episodes this week every morning on the treadmill at the gym. It's amazing how much better I feel adding just fifteen minutes of light exercise to my day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sherm

Post by Sherm »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:53 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 am It's easier to write a correct response in 30s than say a correct response in 10s.
The numbers don't bear that out. Over the past three seasons, the solve rate for DJ! DDs is 65.2%. In FJ!, that number drops to 47.1%. Frankly, that's the best argument for going for broke on the DD. You know the DD category, and you know the DD is likely to be objectively easier than FJ! Unless the category is one that makes you particularly queasy, putting the ball on your own racket with a roughly 2/3 shot of winning is perfectly reasonable. My only point was that it isn't the only reasonable choice.
We have the benefit are really being able to analyze the whole thing, and we know she got it right.

My gut feeling in the timeframe she had, she thought. Don't go so big that I still have room to keep the lead if I get it wrong. It appears, thats what she went for, and its not unreasonable.

Even if Sarah really goes for what is the most reasonable kill shot. IMO, you miss you still stay within 67% of the lead, WE are talking a bet of real close $10,000 and that if is someone is really good with math in their head. Had Sarah done that, Mattea was still in a position to catch her at FJ! at clue 29, and maybe Mattea doesn't take a guess on the last clue in that scenario. The end result could have still been the same.

If anyone is saying, it should have been more than 10,000, they are basically saying, win the game right there. Maybe, its the right call, but that takes some real guts for something that could end badly maybe as often as a third of time based on the stats of this thread.

Go back to one of the biggest wins ever on this show. Clue 14, Emma 20,400, James 17,800, and she bets 3,000. Really, you're playing a 32 game champ that is at 2.4 million dollars. You bet to win the game. Well, maybe not. Wait, she won.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Woof wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:42 am Finally someone faster then Mattea on the buzzer. For FJ, I put together newsreel, Xanadu and pleasure dome and came up with the correct response. Despite having watched the movie twice, I didn’t recall the name of the Hearst Castle stand-in.
How do you feel for TJ in that mess (or his mess)? What he got is the one thing that would just destroy me. Two people that are just hammering it on the buzzer. He went 1 for 16 in the jeopardy round. In the end 6 for 32, and misses three of the six, proof that he's starting to guess later in the game.

I've told my wife. I'd love to be on that show, and the only thing that could make it a bad experience is what happened to TJ. He really didn't get much of a chance to play the game. Well, he played that game, but Mattea and Sarah didn't let him participate too much.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:03 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 am

Go ALL IN. This gives Sarah 34,800. Mattea needs to get all remaining clues to avoid the lock. As noted earlier, two are in Mattea's weak category. Why give Mattea a 25% chance (Mattea right on FJ!, Sarah wrong as actually happened) when Sarah can give Mattea 0% chance?
If Sarah happens to be 75% on Daily Doubles, she'd be giving Mattea exactly a 25% chance to win with the all-in bet. :)

And 75% is an incredibly high DD average. As I mentioned above, some of the superchamps like Jason and Mattea are in the 80% range, James, Ken, Matt and Amy even above that, but I think that's pretty rare.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Sherm wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Woof wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:42 am Finally someone faster then Mattea on the buzzer. For FJ, I put together newsreel, Xanadu and pleasure dome and came up with the correct response. Despite having watched the movie twice, I didn’t recall the name of the Hearst Castle stand-in.
How do you feel for TJ in that mess (or his mess)? What he got is the one thing that would just destroy me. Two people that are just hammering it on the buzzer. He went 1 for 16 in the jeopardy round. In the end 6 for 32, and misses three of the six, proof that he's starting to guess later in the game.

I've told my wife. I'd love to be on that show, and the only thing that could make it a bad experience is what happened to TJ. He really didn't get much of a chance to play the game. Well, he played that game, but Mattea and Sarah didn't let him participate too much.
I dont waste too much time feeling sorry for someone in any game with double digit triple stumpers. That's by my math $13,000 worth of clues that was left unanswered. He could have been within half of the leader's score getting ONLY the clues neither other player knew. If you can't outbuzz your opponents then you better know some things they don't. If you choose to go on the show with a knowledge base that only allows you to buzz on half the clues, then well this is pretty much the likely outcome. But you got to be on tv.