Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think J! has been doing more to be inclusive in selecting contestants, and as a result of that the candidates themselves are feeling less pressure to conform to a certain look. So I don't really like the idea (even in jest) that you "need a nose ring" to get on the show. It's more like you are now able to have a nose ring or a mohawk and still get on the show.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm I think J! has been doing more to be inclusive in selecting contestants, and as a result of that the candidates themselves are feeling less pressure to conform to a certain look. So I don't really like the idea (even in jest) that you "need a nose ring" to get on the show. It's more like you are now able to have a nose ring or a mohawk and still get on the show.
Very good point. Today, being different won't make you a contestant. Ten years ago, it could have prevented you from being considered.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And so we bid a fond farewell to Mattea's wrist. She was certainly one of the more endearing champs on the show.

As for me, I knew the answer, but could only come up with Hart-Jackson for the miss. My brain was apparently not functioning in the high altitude air.
cf1140 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:17 pm Twenty bucks says Matt, Amy, and Mattea all fail to reach the TOC final.
(monopoly bucks)
Excuse me, but Quatloos are the only legal tender here.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Still no sign of the "Overheard" segment promised at the end of this episode. Maybe it's not a coincidence that the show is advertising for a new Social Media Platform Manager.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

Anachronism wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:39 pm
Maybe the true number one on my bucket list, as I think of bucketty things from the past, is that when I retire, I would like to become a novelist. But that's probably gone, too. If I write what I know, then I can't be inclusive enough. But if I write what I don't know, then I'm guilty of appropriation. James Michener, if he were alive today, would share a metaphorical jail cell with Ayn Rand.
So in this story Michener is alive in the jail cell with Rand's corpse?
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:17 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm I think J! has been doing more to be inclusive in selecting contestants, and as a result of that the candidates themselves are feeling less pressure to conform to a certain look. So I don't really like the idea (even in jest) that you "need a nose ring" to get on the show. It's more like you are now able to have a nose ring or a mohawk and still get on the show.
Very good point. Today, being different won't make you a contestant. Ten years ago, it could have prevented you from being considered.
Exactly. Thank you.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:39 am If I was going to take November as an indicator, I would stick with prime time as that is during sweeps weeks.
Sweeps is a "thing" for local stations, not the networks. (True, highly-rated network programming during sweeps can help the station overall, but it's most important for them to have highly-rated syndicated programming and local news in order to be able to get higher advertising rates for the shows where they can sell the most ad time.)

Also, ABC is highly unlikely to want to interrupt any parts of their fall schedule for a week or so of "Jeopardy!" episodes in November.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:44 am
triviawayne wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:39 am If I was going to take November as an indicator, I would stick with prime time as that is during sweeps weeks.
Sweeps is a "thing" for local stations, not the networks. (True, highly-rated network programming during sweeps can help the station overall, but it's most important for them to have highly-rated syndicated programming and local news in order to be able to get higher advertising rates for the shows where they can sell the most ad time.)

Also, ABC is highly unlikely to want to interrupt any parts of their fall schedule for a week or so of "Jeopardy!" episodes in November.
ABC owns 8 stations, so sweeps is also a "thing" for them; and raising ratings for the affiliates so said affiliates can charge more for commercial time over the next three months is an important part of the relationship.

How soon you forget...the College Championship just aired in February, which is also a sweeps month.

As for inturrupting their fall schedule, do you really think every single show they put on in September will do so well they wouldn't pull any by November? The College finale had 5.5 million viewers, ABC's highest-rated scripted show, The Good Doctor averaged 6.8 million for the season.
Total game show career losings = $171,522