Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:45 pm The FJ! clue burned me on a half-get as I only knew the first guy.
I was spoiled by the early NYT posting last month, but missed it at that time, only getting as far as Atlanta Hartsfield. I flew in and out of Hartsfield many times in the 80s and early 90s, but not since. Knew it had a name added, but if I ever knew the name was "Jackson," that knowledge disappeared at some point.

Congrats to Mattea on an epic run. Someone else posted that her wins match her age. I'm sure that's not a common occurrence. Definitely looking forward to a barn-burning TOC.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

clprez wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:22 pm A couple of people said that they were "spoiled" because of the number of posts in this thread. I got on jboard at about 5PM on Thursday and there were already around 25 posts in that thread, so I was expecting her to lose that day.

As far as FJ! goes, I was able to get Hartsfield, but the closest I could get for the second name was Jacobs.
If I'd have gotten that far I might have completed my humiliation with "McCoy"
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:05 pm I’m guessing there’s going to be an expanded field in prime time, so that wouldn’t be as much of an issue.
By all indications I've seen, the ToC is going to be part of the regular syndicated series, not an ABC prime-time special. (I suspect they may be contractually obligated to keep it that way.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This is the kind of intuition that I think makes Ken special as the host:

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

idearat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:03 pm It might be good that Mattea won a good amount of money. There's a chance that being an LSAT tutor won't be as lucrative.

(Reuters) - The American Bar Association is once again considering dropping its requirement that law schools use the Law School Admission Test—or any standardized test—when weighing student applications.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindu ... 022-05-06/
Well, she is a tutor in Canada, so Canadian law schools would need to drop the LSAT requirement for her to be out of a job. That said, she mentioned in an interview (the one on the J! website, I think, not the Vulture one) that she just received a law school offer, so she's all good :D
BobF

Post by BobF »

idearat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:03 pm It might be good that Mattea won a good amount of money. There's a chance that being an LSAT tutor won't be as lucrative.

(Reuters) - The American Bar Association is once again considering dropping its requirement that law schools use the Law School Admission Test—or any standardized test—when weighing student applications.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindu ... 022-05-06/
She's young and smart enough to pivot to something else.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Not hunting the DD's and always starting from the top box finally caught up with Mattea, as Danielle made 7800 out of her pre-FJ score of 11400 from the DD's. I hope she changes her strategy for the TOC towards more aggression.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:40 pm I know it's a "stupid answers" type of thing, but for PROTESTANTISM $1600, would Wesleyanism actually be wrong in place of Methodism? The wording was John & Charles Wesley founded this "ism" in the 18th century. There is a specific denomination called the Wesleyan Church that was founded in the 19th century, and not by the Wesley brothers, but more broadly, Wesleyanism can refer to their brand of theology, and the wording doesn't seem to exclude a system of thought as opposed to a specific denomination. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesleyan_theology
Nope. The Wesleys called their church the Methodist Church.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jev15 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:26 pm At home I had a debate between Hartsfield and Hartfield which might have been panic inducing on stage.
Interesting. Me too. I struggled to come up with "Jackson" and then inserted the "s" at the last second to turn "Hartfield" into "Hartsfield." But I did ultimately get there!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

You know, it would really help my track record if they wouldn't make FJ! so fiendishly difficult like this.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

John Boy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 am
jev15 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:26 pm At home I had a debate between Hartsfield and Hartfield which might have been panic inducing on stage.
Interesting. Me too. I struggled to come up with "Jackson" and then inserted the "s" at the last second to turn "Hartfield" into "Hartsfield." But I did ultimately get there!
Sort of like how in a clue the other day, I couldn't decide between Holden Caulfeld or Caulfield (and went the wrong way).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

John Boy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 am
Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:40 pm I know it's a "stupid answers" type of thing, but for PROTESTANTISM $1600, would Wesleyanism actually be wrong in place of Methodism? The wording was John & Charles Wesley founded this "ism" in the 18th century. There is a specific denomination called the Wesleyan Church that was founded in the 19th century, and not by the Wesley brothers, but more broadly, Wesleyanism can refer to their brand of theology, and the wording doesn't seem to exclude a system of thought as opposed to a specific denomination. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesleyan_theology
My point is that they helped develop an intangible system of thought referred to as Wesleyanism as well.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:06 pm
John Boy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 am
Sort of like how in a clue the other day, I couldn't decide between Holden Caulfeld or Caulfield (and went the wrong way).
Since he's a fictional character, I think Holden would probably suffice. But I wonder more if they would accept Caufield...?
Last edited by davey on Sun May 08, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:07 pm
John Boy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 am
My point is that they helped develop an intangible system of thought referred to as Wesleyanism as well.
Sometimes I wish J! would follow crossword rules. But since they don't, and this response adds something to the 2 parts in the clue, I think you might get away with it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:19 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:05 pm I’m guessing there’s going to be an expanded field in prime time, so that wouldn’t be as much of an issue.
By all indications I've seen, the ToC is going to be part of the regular syndicated series, not an ABC prime-time special. (I suspect they may be contractually obligated to keep it that way.)
What indications are those? I don’t remember seeing anything either way.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas

Post by goongas »

Michael Davies said in one of his posts that he wants the TOC to be an annual event airing in November. That implies to me that it would be during the normal syndicated run, but I have would not be opposed and would encourage it to be a primetime tournament. That, or they should bring back some former champions for a summer primetime tournament event.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

BobF wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:35 pm
SBurrus wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:38 am I was stunned at what happened -- Mattea's streak ended by just $1. My jaw actually dropped open. I did not see that coming.
Losing by $1 almost always means somebody else bet correctly strategically. I cringe when the news media makes a big deal about a J! win by $1.
I'm currently trying to explain it to some folks on Facebook (yes I know). The comment I'm getting in response is "Why wouldn't Danielle wager $7801 just in case Mattea wagers nothing?"

Obviously Mattea is wagering $3601 every time and twice on Sunday, she just is. But there's not much difference for Danielle between a $7801 wager and a $4200 wager, so why not protect against Mattea going off-script and trying to pull a Pam Mueller?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Congrats to Mattea for a great run.

Futurama definitely helped me get FJ correct. The clip doesn't mention it but the name of the busiest airport in the US is fair game.

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:46 pm Michael Davies said in one of his posts that he wants the TOC to be an annual event airing in November. That implies to me that it would be during the normal syndicated run, but I have would not be opposed and would encourage it to be a primetime tournament. That, or they should bring back some former champions for a summer primetime tournament event.
Why does November imply that to you?

If I was going to take November as an indicator, I would stick with prime time as that is during sweeps weeks.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
earendel

Post by earendel »

Back in the day of the WWTBAM phone game, one of the questions that occasionally came up was:

Put these four words in order to name the world's busiest airport -
1 - Jackson
2 - Airport
3 - Atlanta
4 - Hartsfield

I missed it the first time.
Spoiler
My response was 1 4 2 3, the answer is 3 4 1 2
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."