Monday, May 9, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, May 9, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:33 am I got curious about Emily after she contradicted Mayim twice in her interview. With two clicks, I had her cell phone number. Don't worry. I won't be calling. But Jeopardy contestants should be more careful.
Don't worry. Given it's in her contact info on her website, she probably knows what she's doing.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Box score not kind to contestants.

Only positive is Danielle' 0 negs.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
yclept

Post by yclept »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:48 am
floridagator wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:33 am I got curious about Emily after she contradicted Mayim twice in her interview. With two clicks, I had her cell phone number. Don't worry. I won't be calling. But Jeopardy contestants should be more careful.
Don't worry. Given it's in her contact info on her website, she probably knows what she's doing.
People who wish to be creepy on the internet can take a first and last name from a Jeopardy contestant and find out a lot of info within minutes. Why anyone would want to do that, I have no idea.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sorry about the 'last post' in the subject. I was out of town and posting from my phone, and didn't catch that I had copied too much. As atonement, I have edited it out of each post so it looks clean.

The box score is now up.

I got FJ, but with low confidence. It seemed to make sense, so I went with it. It didn't help that I thought the novel was much later.
Volante wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:00 pm The Farragut clue could've used a script doctor...I thought they were asking for the ship at first except you could easily see the name on the plaque so I'm like, they must be asking for Farragut (which was also there, but not as easy to read). *rolls die*
Upon re-reading, the clue was fine, but I did the same thing with the name of the ship staring me in the face.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:46 am I got a chuckle out of the thought of mambo contests being the basis for Out of Africa.
That one got a big chuckle here as well.

And now it's time for gripes ...

After weeks of Ken, Mayim's inability to keep a proper game flow going has become way too obvious.

I don't know what the contestant coordinators are doing, but it seems like we've had many more college students than in the past (maybe leftovers from the College tournament?). With the exception of Mattea (who is slightly older than that), they're just not ready, and it's made for poor game play.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am After weeks of Ken, Mayim's inability to keep a proper game flow going has become way too obvious.
Yeah, I feel bad for her because I do like her and I know the internet is not going to be kind. Your temperate comment is perfectly within bounds, of course, and one could only wish that it would serve as an example for the impatient multitudes. My hope is that she'll get a sense of the public reaction and tell TPTB that she's not going to let them make her into the most hated person in Jeopardy! history when that distinction rightfully belongs to Mike Richards or "Dr." Oz. She should step down and publicly throw her support to Ken.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:34 am
Robert K S wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:56 pm
davey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:49 pm Because Emily said Roy Kroc, ... Karim ... should have been required to give the correct first name.
This was the case in the past? Okay, you said you weren't going to go back to look for examples, but this can of worms is done opened now, so somebody has to.
II'm not stating it. I think I asked about it a while ago. I honestly don't remember if examples were given or not. If I could search my own posts for words like first or name or first name I could find the thread...
Here it is: viewtopic.php?p=250109#p250109
davey

Post by davey »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:38 pm
davey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:49 pm Because Emily said Roy Kroc, ... Karim ... should have been required to give the correct first name.
This was the case in the past? Okay, you said you weren't going to go back to look for examples, but this can of worms is done opened now, so somebody has to.
II'm not stating it. I think I asked about it a while ago. I honestly don't remember if examples were given or not. If I could search my own posts for words like first or name or first name I could find the thread...
Thanks. I think it may have come up more recently too. Or I've completely lost track of time!
"The past" is a slippery thing...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am

I don't know what the contestant coordinators are doing, but it seems like we've had many more college students than in the past (maybe leftovers from the College tournament?). With the exception of Mattea (who is slightly older than that), they're just not ready, and it's made for poor game play.
I'd also make an exception for Ciara Donegan.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 pm
Thanks. I think it may have come up more recently too. Or I've completely lost track of time!
The only thing I saw in that thread was a counterexample, showing that it's legit to rebound by being less specific.
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:03 am
davey wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:25 am
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 pm I was really bummed that after "Tom Woolery" was negged, we didn't see either other player try simply "Who is Woolery". We had a debate on the board several months back about whether this would be accepted and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to see if they played it the same as last time.
Do you know what thread that was? Was it a comparable situation?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3604

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5327

Produce for $1200:

(Laurie: Who is Jan Plumb?)
(Marjika: Who is Plumb?)
(Alex: All right, we'll give it to you. It's [*]. Laurie gave us too much information, and you lucked out, Marjika. Go again.)
(Marjika: Great.)

(Eve) Plumb
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:39 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 pm

The only thing I saw in that thread was a counterexample, showing that it's legit to rebound by being less specific.
Yes, that is the example, that's why I said "The past" is a slippery thing... I never said otherwise.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Right, the first lengthy discussion of this I recall on this board was from 2016, when several of us had memories of instances in the past where they DID prompt the rebounding player to provide the correct first name, but there was no true smoking gun example anyone could locate. There definitely are counterexamples and I feel fairly sure that I would have noticed if this had happened since 2016 and a prompt was given. So it's almost certainly the case that at least in the 2016-2022 era they will accept a rebound with last name only but it may still be the case that sometime in the past, possibly the very distant past, they treated it differently.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:33 amI had the feeling that both the champ and Karin were out of their league when they started as low on the board as they did and came up empty. Kareem furthermore couldn't name more than one of the cities that make up the Boswash megalopolis when spotted Boston and Washington. And then he acted like a child when he didn't.
His name is Karim. Likely he was annoyed with himself for missing that the clue wanted the three largest cities and he gave only one. I made the same mistake at home. How often do they ask for three of anything?!
floridagator wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:33 amI knew it was going to be a major work by an important author, but the best I could come up with to not be blank was a man for all seasons, which I am not sure is even a novel.
My best guess was Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis, which came out in 1925. Seemed like it might be an apt title for a poem about a knight, though I suppose they used more lances than bows.
In and out of the pool four times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:07 pm Right, the first lengthy discussion of this I recall on this board was from 2016, when several of us had memories of instances in the past where they DID prompt the rebounding player to provide the correct first name, but there was no true smoking gun example anyone could locate. There definitely are counterexamples and I feel fairly sure that I would have noticed if this had happened since 2016 and a prompt was given. So it's almost certainly the case that at least in the 2016-2022 era they will accept a rebound with last name only but it may still be the case that sometime in the past, possibly the very distant past, they treated it differently.
If they did it seems a bit lame to me. The rules shouldn't change just because a player gave too much (and incorrect) information, IMO.