Monday, April 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, April 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, if they had been going for Homeland Security, the category would have been Cabinet Departments. I guess the word "Defense" made me think "Well, its not the Department of Defense, what else could it be?" and I never got into the area they were going for.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Had Homeland Security in FJ.
Was surprised none of the kids grabbed that one, so kudos to them.

My thought process was that I could first picture the shield. "Oh, I know I've seen it several places, I'm sure I've seen it on several TV dramas, so that rules out DHS [hasn't really been around long enough to appear on a lot of TV dramas]. I'm thinking I saw it on TV in the context of the ... FBI. Going with that. Locking it in, Jeff. What do you mean I'm on the wrong show?"
While I know I have seen it on the floor of the agency involved on TV (and probably in movies), the fact that it's seared into my brain is probably because it's prominently displayed on a website I visit frequently. (Those who know anything about me don't even have to click the link to know what website I'm referring to.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: I was 30/30 in J!, but missed out in DJ, not knowing the Taylor Swift song (I guessed Beyonce), ending 59/60.
Kanye West approves this message.
Austin Powers wrote:Heading out to watch this episode right now. Can't wait! A friend has a two week long party every year for the Teen Tourney. Lots of good times - everyone's shouting out answers and giving high fives. I expect a lot of laughs and a couple of tearful moments. Gonna be grand!
I assume this post is at least somewhat satirical in nature, but I think it might be over my head.
CyrusChan wrote: I was glad the kid on the left didn't make it. I never like these contestants who have such an ego in their respective first appearance on J!. Maybe it has to do with the private schooling Conn. kid.... hmm
What on earth does that mean? I don't recall Jeff doing one thing that showed anything resembling an ego. I may have already liked him because of his truly awesome first name, but he definitely won me over with "It's not as creepy as it sounds, Alex."

As for Final Jeopardy, I too considered the NSA, but I was fairly certain that CIA was the way to go. I was hoping someone would guess CTU, or maybe IMF.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Put me in the Homeland Security club and all of the reasoning stated already works for me.

On introductions I thought for a second it was kids week and not teens. Those three will be carded (or proofed was it?) into their 30s.

We'll see how the scoring goes. It could be that even if Jeff hit FJ that 14200 would not be enough.

I didn't get a sniff of any perfect rounds, but at least I ran the World Capitals. Of the 12 categories that is the one that should always be a 5 during this tournament.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:At last, watching "American Dad" pays off.
After 6 seasons I still don't recall seeing the CIA logo in that show...

I pretty much narrowed it down to the FBI or the CIA. In my case, all my time watching The X-Files ensured me it was NOT the FBI.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:rules out DHS [hasn't really been around long enough to appear on a lot of TV dramas].
How so? 10 years is plenty of time. It hasn't been on a lot of TV dramas, but it sure could have been.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

So I guess the government officially admits the existence of the CIA?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

CIA was an easy one for me. I usually loathe the teen tournament but these kids were impressive; in fact, they were sharper than many adults!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm actually surprised Kenny Chesney wasn't a TS, since he doesn't come up often, and "Reality" had about the smallest crossover of any #1 country hit in recent memory.
I guess even the TOM in clues you do get can go over your head! "K.C.," while ostensibly referring to Kansas City, was in quotation marks as a hint to the correct response.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I was surprised Alex didn't correct the kid's pronunciation of Kiev.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
miggydub
Contributor

Post by miggydub »

CyrusChan wrote: Also, I was glad the kid on the left didn't make it. I never like these contestants who have such an ego in their respective first appearance on J!. Maybe it has to do with the private schooling Conn. kid.... hmm
I can almost see where you're coming from on this, or at least understand what's bothering you.

Jeff seemed uncommonly poised, calm and cool, especially for his age. Most kids, and I would include myself at his age, don't have that level of confidence. He's obviously a fine, intelligent young man. He should be proud of himself, as I'm sure his parents are.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

silverscreentest wrote:I was surprised Alex didn't correct the kid's pronunciation of Kiev.
Actually, his pronunciation was more accurate than most. He should have emphasized the separation in syllables a little more though.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I have also never heard champagne foam referred to as mousse. I was also tripped up by "differential" in reference to psychology, as it seems more common (in my experience) to refer to it as the psychology or study of individual differences.

FJ took a few seconds, but I eventually settled on CIA.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

marpocky wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:I was surprised Alex didn't correct the kid's pronunciation of Kiev.
Actually, his pronunciation was more accurate than most. He should have emphasized the separation in syllables a little more though.
Be that as it may, Alex sometimes corrects pronunciations unnecessarily (and even incorrectly): in my fifth episode, when Emily (an Asian Studies student who had spoken about climbing Mt. Fuji in her interview) gave Sapporo as a correct response, stressing the syllables evenly, and Alex repeated it with stress on the second syllable; it played out almost identically in the episode after I lost, with "seppuku" being said by Judy Nakamura (!) (although I must mention that when I laughed about this on the old board, Judy responded that she doesn't speak Japanese). Also, he once "corrected" someone's "Escher" response to "ess-ker." I don't know if silverscreentest was saying the player mispronounced Kiev, or commenting on Alex's occasionally misplaced pedantry.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm actually surprised Kenny Chesney wasn't a TS, since he doesn't come up often, and "Reality" had about the smallest crossover of any #1 country hit in recent memory.
I guess even the TOM in clues you do get can go over your head! "K.C.," while ostensibly referring to Kansas City, was in quotation marks as a hint to the correct response.
I knew the "K.C." TOM was in there, but I don't recall "country" being in there. And I've seen more blatant TOMs get TS'ed.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I didn't know that about mousse either, but in general I thought the game was very easy, until FJ.

My first thought was NSA, but I think I saw a documentary that talked about the seal on the floor of the CIA building so I went CIA at the last possible minute.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

seaborgium wrote:I don't know if silverscreentest was saying the player mispronounced Kiev, or commenting on Alex's occasionally misplaced pedantry.
Kind of both. I played it a back few times and couldn't hear two syllables. Maybe I need a better sound system on my television.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
GregK
Contributor

Post by GregK »

I am amazed at how well these teens do and how much they know. I mean, Tartouff rolls off her tongue like she was just reading Moliere this morning with breakfast? I have a 1 year old and it feels so daunting even conisdering how much information he needs to learn in the next 15 years.
ronk
Contributor

Post by ronk »

For FJ, my first thought was the DIA, but I then I considered that it was the teen tourney and knew it was the CIA. Later I looked it up and they don't have a shield or a star.
davey

Post by davey »

GregK wrote:I am amazed at how well these teens do and how much they know. I mean, Tartouff rolls off her tongue like she was just reading Moliere this morning with breakfast? I have a 1 year old and it feels so daunting even conisdering how much information he needs to learn in the next 15 years.
I imagine more people read Tartuffe for class as youngsters than adults do. I know I did.