Friday, May 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Friday, May 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This state was named for a man born in Herrenhausen Palace in Hanover in 1683

Daniel Nguyen: 17600-6401=11199
Marie Shapiro: 6700+6000=12700
Ryan Long: 12000+6800=18800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Georgia (Daniel – New Hampshire)

Daily Doubles
Marie: 2000+1500
Daniel: 13200+4000
Ryan: 12400+2000

Coryats
Daniel: 15600
Marie: 6200
Ryan: 11600

Combined: 33,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Daniel: 4000
Marie: 4300
Ryan: 2000
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Too bad Danielle Maurer couldn't last till the end of the week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ryan ran TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? for $6000 and added $2000 on DD3 for 8000 of his $12000 total entering the FJ! round. It was enough today when Daniel could not solve the FJ! clue from the lead.

Ryan could have been left haunted by his wager (it did cost Ryan a chance to make 35K+ though) on DD3 that only kept him in second place when he had the chance to take the lead. Instead it's Daniel who has to replay letting the FJ! clue get away, while Ryan returns on Monday.

We almost got all 61 clues in a game with double digit TS clue and slow clue selections in spots, but time just ran out before OPERA $2000 played.

There is no rule the FJ! clue must be solved in the range of insta-5 seconds, so I don't care that I was in the 5-10 second range to hit upon the right place more by running the colonies instead of logically connecting the dots quicker.

Mayim was back to feeling the urge to name fuller correct responses when it would have been okay to go with some acceptable shortcuts the players took.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I don't like these pauses.
And what's with the Georgia/Atlanta clues?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

25/0, 23/1 good boards today 8-)
Jeers to the contestants for running away from Bible Places & Opera :x
Playing favorites, Mayim? :? Daniel ran Treaties but got no acknowledgement.
:D :(( London) :D :mrgreen: Pretty much a WECIB. New Hampshire isn't at all a plausible guess :shock:
trash: caste, The Sun, barn, Red Cloud. more trash: Tyre, Fidelio, witches
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:16 pm ...
:mrgreen: Pretty much a WECIB. New Hampshire isn't at all a plausible guess :shock:
Not Daniel's line of thinking as he posted on reddit, but someone else pointed out there that Dartmouth is in Hanover.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

There's a Hanover, PA and of course I wrote down Pennsylvania before the clue was done being read, but with the word palace I instantly knew that wasn't it and it was easy to land on Georgia from there. Spent some of the rest of the time naming the east coast states to ensure I had it correct.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't feel like there's a way to solve this without guessing. What was the tipoff?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm I don't feel like there's a way to solve this without guessing. What was the tipoff?
The four King Georges that reigned for over a hundred years (including the American Revolution) were of the Hannover dynasty. Wasn’t sure which George the state was named for but it doesn’t matter to get this one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm I don't feel like there's a way to solve this without guessing. What was the tipoff?
This state was named for a man born in Herrenhausen Palace in Hanover in 1683

If a man was born in a palace then probably a royal.

Hanover narrows the list to George 1-4, William IV and Victoria. Yes, we know how much you love the royal house stuff.

From those names figure out a state name.

Or my way: A state named for a royal? Probably one of the 13 colonies. I worked east top to bottom and got there.

States + royalty? You know and I know that is not going to go well for you. Forget about it and wait for Monday's clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Miraculously ran the TV category.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,000
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: cast(l)e, Red Cloud, busy signal, Fidelio

Grrr. I am so mad at myself for blowing this FJ! I had it immediately, determined that the year didn't match with George III's age, waved that away since there were four consecutive Georges, and went to consider other possibilities. At some point, I decided William Penn might have emigrated from Germany (don't know what I was thinking there) and decided to change my response. It was only after the fact that I remembered the whole palace bit in the clue. That's the second consecutive FJ! where I've missed a huge flashing TOM. Need to work on slowing down and re-reading the clue.

Ryan's play late in the game would have been baffling if it weren't so common. DD3 at $1600 in PLACES IN THE BIBLE. Down $17200 to $12400 with Marie at $6200, with only the $2000 clue in the same category and the entirety of OPERA remaining. Not loving the category, he decides to "play it safe" by making a wager with no upside and the potential downside of making the game a crush. Woof. Bad enough. But then, after nailing a very easy DD and having the last Bible clue go fallow, he expresses his disgust at having to turn to the dreaded opera category. Like, what the heck, man? You could see the board. You knew what was left. Did you really think your best chance at winning was to punt the rest of the game and hope you happen to get a FJ! that you get but the champ misses? It worked out in this instance, obviously, but what a strategic blunder.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:38 pm Ryan's play late in the game would have been baffling if it weren't so common. DD3 at $1600 in PLACES IN THE BIBLE. Down $17200 to $12400 with Marie at $6200, with only the $2000 clue in the same category and the entirety of OPERA remaining. Not loving the category, he decides to "play it safe" by making a wager with no upside and the potential downside of making the game a crush. Woof. Bad enough. But then, after nailing a very easy DD and having the last Bible clue go fallow, he expresses his disgust at having to turn to the dreaded opera category. Like, what the heck, man? You could see the board. You knew what was left. Did you really think your best chance at winning was to punt the rest of the game and hope you happen to get a FJ! that you get but the champ misses? It worked out in this instance, obviously, but what a strategic blunder.
Seeing what was left likely played a factor. If he makes a big wager on Bible $1600 and misses, knowing all he has left is Opera, he's done for. And since everyone else also left Opera for the end, he might have figured everyone else wasn't a fan either, which turned out to be accurate.

Was this archive note explaining the otherwise failure to apply a [The] Invisible Man rule self research or did someone post it elsewhere?
[NOTE: The film was released in the United Kingdom as [*].]

Instafinal. Germanic sounding castle? House of Hanover? State named after them? Where else but Georgia?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:48 pm ...

Was this archive note explaining the otherwise failure to apply a [The] Invisible Man rule self research or did someone post it elsewhere?
[NOTE: The film was released in the United Kingdom as [*].]

It was a correction suggestion from another archivist and I accepted it after I saw it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I got fixated on William Penn and didn't bother running as many of the 13 colonies as I could, but only came up with Virginia and Carolina as other namesake states. I know the Germans settle there and are not actually Dutch. No idea where William Penn was born (London).
I never think about Royalty being birthed in other countries. Why the hell would you put up with a German as your King? If I'd have made it to Georgia, I still wouldn't have changed my answer.
I don't think all this state name etymology is very well known to the mainstream public. But two players got it, so it must be more than just a trivia nugget.
I liked Ryan's groan at calling the Opera category. Saved me the trouble :).

My guess is that Johnny Gilbert wasn't in the house to whip up the applause for Daniel's category run, and a horrified staffer made sure to bark in Mayim's ear for Ryan's run. How do you mess up the first 5 calls/gets in a row in descending order :o

So Mayim said Daniel keeps count of his escapades. How many? About fifty. That's not keeping count, that's losing count.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Thought of Georgia but focused on George III, so eliminated that since the timing did not line up. Went with Pennsylvania, thinking maybe Penn was born in Germany. I feel better seeing I wasn’t the only one who did this