FJs for the 5/9/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/9/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

A 1590 poem written for the retirement of Queen Elizabeth's champion knight shares its title with this 1929 novel by an American
34%
These 2 events held 2 1/2 months & 2,500 miles apart in 1999 were the last of one major music happening & the first of another
36%
It's an Italian word for "mercy", but also the name of a movie character who kills Stracci & Carlo
16%
Amendments to its 1901 constitution require approval of at least 4 states before receiving royal assent
71%
This state was named for a man born in Herrenhausen Palace in Hanover in 1683
66%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
NATIVE AMERICAN WOMEN $1000: A mural in Oklahoma's capitol honors 5 Native American ballerinas, including these 2 sisters, Maria & Marjorie
64%
MUSICALS BY LYRICS $1600: "Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes, how do you measure, measure a year?"
70%
OPERA $1200: Beethoven's only opera, it enjoyed little early success, as Vienna was occupied by French troops during its premiere
64%
I have read A Farewell to Arms.
16%
The Great Gatsby was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
8%
I had the wrong Hemingway work for the Monday FJ! clue.
9%
I had Woodstock though not Coachella for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
29%
I had Coachella though not Woodstock for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
8%
I have attended a Woodstock and/or Coachella event.
No votes
Burning Man was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Lollapalooza was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
13%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with Luca Brasi.
6%
I have seen 1972's The Godfather.
53%
I have never seen 1972's The Godfather in its entirety from start to finish.
43%
Pennsylvania was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
14%
I have set foot in the U.S. state of Georgia.
75%

Total votes: 77

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 5/9/22 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:03 am
cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:28 am I would never have guessed that fewer than half of J! boardies have ever seen The Godfather.
And that it would be running significantly behind Citizen Kane, per last week's poll.
Godfather's up to 53% now with CK holding steady at 65%. But yeah, I definitely would've predicted Godfather winning this contest by a healthy margin.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

I don't remember seeing the Godfather all the way through, but I don't remember leaving the theater either so I checked the whole movie box. I probably spent the last hour of the movie imagining a device that would fit in my hand and would let me play the new Pong video game instead of trying to follow multiple characters at weddings and funerals.

Been in Georgia a few times. My first and last private plane flight was in a two-seater with a MU-Rolla Ceramics professor to Savannah River Labs (from Rolla, MO) to discuss spent nuclear fuel storage. He was a plane nut and made me take the wheel (is it called that?) for the five longest minutes of my life. The next five longest minutes was when he gave me the billboard size map and kept showing me the water towers, highways, and rivers we were flying over. I never saw any of the things he said he saw.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:31 pm My first and last private plane flight was in a two-seater with a MU-Rolla Ceramics professor to Savannah River Labs (from Rolla, MO) to discuss spent nuclear fuel storage. He was a plane nut and made me take the wheel (is it called that?) for the five longest minutes of my life.
So you're telling us you didn't get the yoke?

On some two-seaters, though, if he'd wanted you to take control, he would have had to stick it to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoke_(aeronautics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_stick
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As I see the scores above, I feel good about coming up with Clemenza, even though I did it the "back door" way ("mercy" = "clemency" = "Clemenza")

These days, however I come up with a FJ response, I'll take it.

FWIW I have taken part in a concert version of Fidelio (i.e. not staged as an opera but with all the music presented).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wednesday was frustrating. We watch the Godfather trilogy every other year or so. Should have been able to remember who was in the back seat when Carlo got into the car, and if not, should have been able to connect the character's name to clemency. Failed on both counts. Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:31 pm The next five longest minutes was when he gave me the billboard size map and kept showing me the water towers, highways, and rivers we were flying over. I never saw any of the things he said he saw.
Let me guess: everything looked like a golf course?
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Not a great week!

Tender is the (K)Night was my guess for Monday’s FJ
I have seen all three of The Godfather films, but couldn’t come up with Clemenza
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:08 pm As I see the scores above, I feel good about coming up with Clemenza, even though I did it the "back door" way ("mercy" = "clemency" = "Clemenza")
That's even more impressive!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

RetiredDoc wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:13 pm Tender is the (K)Night was my guess for Monday’s FJ
:lol:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:30 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:31 pm The next five longest minutes was when he gave me the billboard size map and kept showing me the water towers, highways, and rivers we were flying over. I never saw any of the things he said he saw.
Let me guess: everything looked like a golf course?
Coincidentally, we did land in Augusta Georgia. I think there's a racist golf course there. The map was the size of some of the greens I play on. Maybe navigation is an acquired skill but I'm the spotter, I'll just be trying to figure out where to run out of gas because I'll never find an airport. When I had the yoke (thanks, AFRET), I think there was some kind of beacon to follow, but I kept oversteering. It takes a while to convince an airplane enthusiast that you really don't want to do what they love, but if you waste enough gas they will quit trying :).

aside:
Every private pilot I've known (well, 3 of them) has had a plane wreck of some kind. The professor wrecked taking his instrument certification test but didn't flunk it because it was the examiner's fault for making him try some dead stick landing (or something like that) without giving him enough safety margin to do it. He looked like he been in a burlap sack full of bobcats, but no broken bones. It's a good landing if you walk away from it, so they say.
The same experience goes with horse lovers. They've all been hurt/hospitalized. But it was always their fault. I always suggest they take up something safe like mountain biking.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry:
:cry: :mrgreen: :cry:

More correctly, those responses are:
clueless, is Coachella one of them?, clueless, lucky guess, and bad guess
clueless, Finally!!! Would you like me to sing the whole song?, and ashamed I can't remember this tidbit

Been to GA a couple of times. Visited Six Flags as a kid when dad was working for the space program in Hunstville for a couple of years in the 60s. Drove through again a decade later as part of a circle around the country. And changed planes in ATL once on my way to Europe. As to the clue, guessed William Penn instead.

Haven't seen the original Godfather. I've certainly seen bits and pieces over the years, but never the whole thing. It's on my retirement to-do list.
--Peter
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:12 pm :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry:
:cry: :mrgreen: :cry:
Ditto.

And likewise, I have never seen the whole Godfather. I'd like to but I don't have any real spare time without young kids around.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:30 pm And likewise, I have never seen the whole Godfather. I'd like to but I don't have any real spare time without young kids around.
Someone needs to make us an offer to watch that we can't refuse.
--Peter
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:40 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:30 pm And likewise, I have never seen the whole Godfather. I'd like to but I don't have any real spare time without young kids around.
Someone needs to make us an offer to watch that we can't refuse.
Ok, either your brains or your eyeballs will be on that screen.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank goodness for the easy one on Friday, and the extras...I struggled with the rest...
Does it count if you've seen The Godfather Saga, the late 70s TV version that reedited 1 and 2 into chronological order? (Doesn't matter, I watched the Saga and saw the 2 movies in theaters as well...!)
I wonder if more have seen Goodfellas? Did that become the go-to mob movie? Or Scarface, maybe?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:08 pm Does it count if you've seen The Godfather Saga, the late 70s TV version that reedited 1 and 2 into chronological order? (Doesn't matter, I watched the Saga and saw the 2 movies in theaters as well...!)
I wonder if more have seen Goodfellas? Did that become the go-to mob movie? Or Scarface, maybe?
I haven't seen Scarface, myself. I get the impression Goodfellas ranks higher than Scarface in the guy movie canon. Like, it probably competes for the top spot with Die Hard and The Shawshank Redemption. Scarface is up there, but not a contender for the top spot.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:26 pm
davey wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:08 pm Does it count if you've seen The Godfather Saga, the late 70s TV version that reedited 1 and 2 into chronological order? (Doesn't matter, I watched the Saga and saw the 2 movies in theaters as well...!)
I haven't seen Scarface, myself. I get the impression Goodfellas ranks higher than Scarface in the guy movie canon. Like, it probably competes for the top spot with Die Hard and The Shawshank Redemption. Scarface is up there, but not a contender for the top spot.
Die Hard, Shawshank, Goodfellas, Scarface for me having seen all of those films. My guy list would have Pulp Fiction at the top and Reservoir Dogs below Die Hard.