LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 93

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 pm
MasterCone wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm Fluid dynamics, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics, etc, all being accepted makes me wish I hadn't agonized over hydrodynamics vs hydraulics for 30 minutes.
I was suprised at the leniency there. I thought the focus on engineering was a pretty clear signpost to 'hydraulics', while the others seem a little more theoretical (PHYS301 instead of MENG301).
I was a little concerned about the reference to water (and other liquids) to pin it to hydraulics, because the super soaker is the only example I can think of (I'm assuming it's air over water) with water as the working fluid. I didn't anguish over the different disciplines because I knew I couldn't pick the right one from the list. But I wouldn't have been surprised to see fluid mechanics pop up at the reveal.

I loved the Operation clue. "Board" game made me think of adult games, which is a lesson I cannot learn. Don't make false boundaries :!:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

MasterCone wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm Fluid dynamics, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics, etc, all being accepted makes me wish I hadn't agonized over hydrodynamics vs hydraulics for 30 minutes.
Sometime you just go to fast on a question. For the last three days at work, I have been working on a hydrogeolic model on a watershed regarding flooding issues for a small town. I looked at the question, wrote down Hydrology and didn't even think about it. Thats just where my head was. I agonized over other questions I missed. At least, I didn't agonize over Hydrology, which I also missed.

I got a lucky win, I didn't deserve.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So OF COURSE this article comes out in the Washington Post TODAY:

Does the world really want an ‘Avatar’ sequel?
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I don't have a clue as to the difference between hydrolics and hydrodynamics but guessed the latter and was pleased to get credit, It got me to 7,4 but unfortunately I lost to a sixpack. There were only two other scores (both sixpacks) that I would have lost to in my 32 llama rundle. So, bad luck. I'm (pretty) sure that'll even out.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:15 pm I figured Thorsten would accept "fluid mechanics" and "fluid dynamics" on yesterday's Q3, but glad to see he did since I answered with the former.

I expected a lot more people to know about the B-25 crashing into the ESB. I assigned that one one point and my opponent missed it. He also missed my zero, which was Operation, so not the greatest defensive day but I still won.
I answered "hydrodynamics" after considering "fluid dynamics" based on the water specificity, so a facepalm ensued at the initial reveal. Was pleasantly surprised today to see it accepted.

I remember getting to my office the morning of 9/11 after not hearing any news that morning and being told, "A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center." Thinking it was an accident with a Cessna, my mind immediately flashed to the B-25 incident, not knowing how horrific 9/11 would turn out to be.

I sometimes agonize over two answers, one of which turns out to be right and the other wrong -- and then pick the wrong one. What I dislike even more sometimes is to agonize over two answers, BOTH of which turn out to be wrong. Phooey.

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:23 am We love mock outrage here on the board! Good thing you weren't Bucknered
Aha. From now on I'll play LL with my glove on the ground and my feet together. Couldn't hurt.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was so certain the "Box that Sparked and Made Noise" would have been Perfection.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:47 am
bluejaylink wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:53 am ...Denmark instead of Germany...
No shame there, you're in company with 23% of the league. Not sure there's a way out of coin flipping that if you don't know it...
I figured that Denmark being where it is would have less need of a canal linking the North and Baltic than Germany would. Though I probably did sort of know it, anyway.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lefty wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 pm
No shame there, you're in company with 23% of the league. Not sure there's a way out of coin flipping that if you don't know it...
I figured that Denmark being where it is would have less need of a canal linking the North and Baltic than Germany would. Though I probably did sort of know it, anyway.
For some reason I totally disregarded the part about it linking the North Sea and the Baltic and went with Russia. I had a mental picture of it being in the St. Petersburg area. I guess there are lots of canals there, but not the Kiel!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:24 pm So OF COURSE this article comes out in the Washington Post TODAY:

Never bet against James Cameron...his last three films were all the most expensive at the time (Avatar, Titanic, True Lies)...and the three previous weren't exactly low budget either (T2, Abyss, Aliens)
In comparison, Terminator was a student film, budget wise :lol:

(We don't talk about Piranha II)
Lefty wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 pm
Denmark's not that far off at least; the Kiel Canal's predecessor was, at the time, in southern Denmark
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eider_Canal

Then drama happened.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:24 pm So OF COURSE this article comes out in the Washington Post TODAY:

This was my post in the Current Events thread on May 4th:

Movie sequels: Avatar: The Way of Water & Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Paramount+ TV series: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Captain Christopher Pike - Anson Mount
Number One, aka "Una" - Rebecca Romijn
Spock - Ethan Peck
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

AFRET, meet Kosman
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was suprised at the leniency there. I thought the focus on engineering was a pretty clear signpost to 'hydraulics', while the others seem a little more theoretical (PHYS301 instead of MENG301).
I was a mechanical engineering major in college and the courses I took were called Fluid Mechanics. I never even considered hydraulics.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:12 pm
I was a mechanical engineering major in college and the courses I took were called Fluid Mechanics. I never even considered hydraulics.
I think my (undergrad) ME courses were also called that. Can’t recall in detail, as we just called them ‘Fluids 1’, ‘Fluids 2’, etc. However, the emphasis on uses and applications, to me, leans more towards hydraulics. Fluid Mechanics courses were more about flow rate, pressure, viscosity, and that old favorite: head. Theoretical stuff.

My Fluids professor had a great sense of humor. At one point, I asked why we were studying this particular subject. He replied, ‘It keeps me off the streets.’ He had the good sense not to answer when I asked, ‘So, in the problem statement, will we be given the head?’

HT: Dr Lipscomb
#speedschool
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

What I've seen is fluid mechanics 1 & 2 for undergraduates and then for the graduate program they separate it into hydrodynamics and aerodynamics. But they call it different things, hydrodynamics and aerodynamics, Advanced Fluid Mechanics 1 & 2, or incompressible flow and compressible flow.

Similar thing with heat transfer. They tend to separate the graduate courses into conduction, convection, and radiation.

Didn't realize there were so many ME majors here.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Won't be any complaining from me toward the end of the season about forfeit wins; through 3 match days, I've been the recipient of 2 forfeit wins in my general rundle: MD1 and MD3.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Enjoying seeing myself in first place right now with perfect defense...that will surely change.

Also happy I have the lowest CAA to help me in this endeavor.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Because nobody asked:

The tankathon rundle is taking shape, although it isn't clear who hasn't got the memo, or just isn't interested. After 3 days, it is very schedule sensitive while we wait to churn through all the A's and E's. ClassicRoadster has the initial lead in TPA, but trainman and mahatma have managed to stuff points with great efficiency. Zero DE for trainman and impressive 2.2 UfPA :).
It's too early to get the trends without the complete stat sheet, but that is a bit too much for an update. The TCA's will start to converge next week.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

mahatma wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:23 pm
nserven wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:16 pm I was fortunate to have my response of Granada (instead of Grenada) accepted to start off the season with a 9(6). I know a wrong spelling counts as correct if there's no change in pronunciation, but in this case the other spelling is an entirely different place.
But that's not an island; it's a Ford.
It's a Ford, not a Lincoln (see $800 in "The VP Who Said..." in today's J! episode), and Ford has a better idea.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:04 pm MD1 was a tough set for me - I'm supposed to get science questions but I'm not enough of a space junkie to remember Triton. I got credit for the island, although I was apparently was thinking of my old Ford Granada with the Corinthian leather.
The rich Corinthian leather luxurified the Chrysler Cordoba.

As for rookie defense, it's true you have almost no data on your opponents, but you can still try to objectively assess the difficulty of a question. On MD2 I was convinced all day I'd lost, but lucked into a Buckner tie (two fewer correct) when I got surprise credit for hydrodynamics and my opp gave me a three for Operation.
Keep in mind that some categories play hard leaguewide, e.g., Art and Classical Music.
(Counterpoint: On the Verdi question on MD3, I had no clue, but my opponent is .891 in Classical Music so I gave him a zero.)

Also got to start the season with the immense joy of an opening day six-pack... and today I'm playing LLongtime nemesis and quiz pal bomtr.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy season.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

reddpen wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:24 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:04 pm I got credit for the island, although I was apparently was thinking of my old Ford Granada with the Corinthian leather.
The rich Corinthian leather luxurified the Chrysler Cordoba.
Montalban was reportedly piqued at having to say "cor-DO-ba" rather than "COR-do-ba", but one way he'd be paid in dollars and the other way in pesos.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

reddpen wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:24 am and Ford has a better idea.
I always thought this was one of the worst slogans ever. They would use it at the end of their commercials, and I would always think: If they have a better idea, they should show it to us instead of the POS they just did.
Total game show career losings = $171,522