LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL Season 93

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sherm wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:46 am Super lucky guess with Milquetoast.

Does Opus play LL?
A question like this would normally kill me. I knew this one cold. Why?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4494

I would love for someone to be able to explain why I remember this and not about 1000 other facts that would appear more often on Jeopardy.
That explains why it was a fact I knew I'd seen before!
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:08 pm
Sherm wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pm
A question like this would normally kill me. I knew this one cold. Why?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4494

I would love for someone to be able to explain why I remember this and not about 1000 other facts that would appear more often on Jeopardy.
That explains why it was a fact I knew I'd seen before!
Ditto. This was one of those times when the correct answer flashes in my brain instantly and then I question why on Earth I know it, or where I would have possibly ever heard such a thing. I played through the entire Battle Of The Decades on J-archive around 4 weeks ago.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was fortunate that my mother would not infrequently refer to someone as a Casper Milwuetoast. This was an Instaget for me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Clearly it's been too long since I read my Bloom County books.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Just read the day before yesterday about the upcoming Mission Impossible movies, and when I saw the questions I immediately figured if there are two upcoming movies, it must be MCU stuff...and since I don't watch those, went with X-Men.

Because of TI wanting the full name of either the writer or the pseudonym, I was figuring one of the Bronte sisters, thought I would guess the wrong one and tried to remember the female author with the male name...went MCW with George Eliot.

Really hard to believe 13% believe Columbia made a "safe landing" to end the shuttle program.

Mad at myself for not remembering what breed is Alsatian; but very happy with myself for pulling mercury out of my butt (I sure hope there are no long-term effects).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I have had my best four-day run of all time over the last four days, but it has required being insanely lucky with guessing.

Yesterday, for example, I guessed Spring by just guessing a title-y-sounding time of year, and I won the four-way coin flip between the Brontë sisters and George Eliot.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:46 am Mad at myself for not remembering what breed is Alsatian; but very happy with myself for pulling mercury out of my butt (I sure hope there are no long-term effects).
LOL. I have a Pavlov card for 'Alsatian + German Shepherd' that might have come from this board!

Did cinnabar only seem familiar because it sounds like Cinnabon? Life's greatest mysteries
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I have leprechauns flying out of my butt or something this season. I managed only 3 right answers yesterday, including somehow missing the mercury question despite spending half my time in college as a chem major, and still ended up winning. I also cannot for the life of me ever remember anything about NASA/the US space program no matter how many times I see it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MasterCone wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm I also cannot for the life of me ever remember anything about NASA/the US space program no matter how many times I see it.
At least I am in very good company.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:39 pm
MasterCone wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm I also cannot for the life of me ever remember anything about NASA/the US space program no matter how many times I see it.
At least I am in very good company.
You are also in some suspect company. TIL there is/was a Shuttle called Atlantis. My career was in technical ceramics, and it was nice to see some publicity for our discipline with the "advanced" heat resistant tiles, but the materials used were around for fifty years or so already. (the laser cutting/design tech was new of course). I wouldn't be sad to see the end of all human space travel. Putting the robots in the spacecraft and letting the humans weld automobiles again would be a better allocation of resources.

I guessed Autumn because it is sadder than Spring. German Shepherd was a wag (edit: no pun intended ;)), after deciding Alsatian was a little too prestigious sounding for wiener dog/dachshund. I'm glad I know cinnabar from mineralogy, it would be embarrassing to admit I forgot it was in the zinc group. I've heard the term "Baleen" and whales, but did not know there are toothless and toothy whales. I'm surprised at the 69% get rate.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I love the Space program anyway and live on the Space Coast, but it also helps that I think that one of the best attractions at any park is Kennedy Space Center's Space Shuttle Atlantis viewing.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Arrgh I typed Nikita K. but then wavered between Eisenhower or McCarthy and went with Joe. Would have lost anyway, but MPD would have been much lower. Darn!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:25 am Arrgh I typed Nikita K. but then wavered between Eisenhower or McCarthy and went with Joe. Would have lost anyway, but MPD would have been much lower. Darn!
I thought either Khrushchev or Mao made more sense from the "secret speech" perspective, but my first instinct was Churchill, so I stuck with him. Yesterday was a bloodbath for me. I only got two right.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Jeez. My luck continues. I obsessed over the first question for nearly an hour unable to figure it out, then just typed in lake to have something in the box while basically laughing at it. My opponent inexplicably decided I’m good at math I guess (I was batting 1.000 but that was based on only 1 question), and assigned that 0, so I escaped with a tie even though they got all 6 right.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:25 am Arrgh I typed Nikita K. but then wavered between Eisenhower or McCarthy and went with Joe. Would have lost anyway, but MPD would have been much lower. Darn!
I thought either Khrushchev or Mao made more sense from the "secret speech" perspective, but my first instinct was Churchill, so I stuck with him. Yesterday was a bloodbath for me. I only got two right.

Churchill/Eisenhower were the immediate thoughts and I was leaning to the former. Then" secret speech" really hit me, and I knew that from some items I've read that Khruschev had some said things of Stalin that weren't so great. He put down some of the old policies. I pulled it out, but I felt kind of lucky when I did, and would have been bummed if it were Churchill.

Put down "ocean" for the water one. It should have been "lake", and that was considered. Whatever was chosen was going to be a WAG. I've never heard lake in a pigment context. At least I don't remember it if I have.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

In retrospect I had heard of it. As soon as I saw the answer I knew that I likely had multiple makeup items with it in the ingredients list, and when I grabbed 2 random eyeshadow palettes they both had some form of lake. Yellow Lake #something, blue lake something, etc.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm Yesterday was a bloodbath for me. I only got two right.
I'm still new to the game so I'm still learning the glossary. I was feeling OK after getting five correct on Monday and Tuesday, then I guess I had a bloodbath Wednesday with two right. Then Thursday was only one correct (Khrushchev) after my mental coin came up the wrong way on WAGging two other answers -- sound vs lake and tackles vs interceptions. So, two is a bloodbath and zero I assume might be "skunked." Any term for one correct? Other than, "aw, $%!+" of course.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I made a list of maybe 25 bodies of water, "lake" being the second on the list. None of them seemed right, and I went with "estuary".
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I decided there are way too many water associated names to luck into a guess for an unknown art component. So I guessed indigo and hoped there was some water related term using it.

My quora feed had a story just this week about Kruschev addressing an audience (maybe not this secret meeting). He was railing on Stalin when a heckler shouted "Why didn't you confront him". He replied "Who said that", and got crickets. Then he said "Now you know why". I would have gone with Ike or Churchill without that luckily timed anecdote.

The millennium problems are (likely) inspired by David Hilbert's set of 23 unsolved problems released in 1900. I was lucky to remember the cute name.

Thank Vladimir Putin for putting the Swift banking system into the news. And thank the Chiefs for dumping Marcus Peters while he had some trade stock.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This week I've had scores of 8(5)-8(5), 7(5)-6(5), 3(2)-2(2), 7(5)-6(5), and 4(3)-3(3). The same number of correct answers for all 5 days to get 4W and 1T. Very lucky.

I put reservoir for the body of water pigment question.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.