LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 93

Post by SBurrus »

On MD 15, I earned a 3(3)-3(2) tie in the General Rundle. For the video game question, I had no idea but picking up on the Frogger part of the clue, I answered "Cross The Road"...and was amazed it was so close to the actual correct answer, I thought Thorsten might award a check mark for it. He didn't.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

My regular rundle, which has some pretty good players, went 0/28 on that question. But three people in JBoardHavoc nailed it. Huzzah!

More interesting: a question with a 16% get rate leaguewide was assigned only the the fourth-highest defense on the day.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:43 am My regular rundle, which has some pretty good players, went 0/28 on that question. But three people in JBoardHavoc nailed it. Huzzah!

More interesting: a question with a 16% get rate leaguewide was assigned only the the fourth-highest defense on the day.
I gave it a low number on defense as it is supposedly a popular game on both mobile platforms, and while I don't know it because I don't do gaming on mobile devices, I figured many people do. This and trying to guess the age of my opponent left me putting that low number there.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I didn't know how to defend Crossy Road. Mobile questions tend to play tough, but if I know it as a non-gamer, it can't be that hard, right? Turns out I did get assigned 0.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:43 am My regular rundle, which has some pretty good players, went 0/28 on that question. But three people in JBoardHavoc nailed it. Huzzah!

JBHavoc also aced the Faberge question with a 12/12 (80% leaguewide) :). I joined one compadre in missing Kevin Costner which was my first guess. I changed two first guesses and missed them both. I had Zoroastrianism and changed to Sikh because I READ.EVERY.WORD and couldn't get "fitting" to fit. I applied it to the turban which gave me somewhat of a creepy racist vibe. The explanation on the message board is that "fitting" has to do with it being a Persian religion, and ergo, Farsi and Persia and Parsi somehow :roll: . I flat NHO Parsi, so no complain me that I changed my guess.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'm terrible at the gaming stuff. I've kinda adopted a process that if it is an area that I'm really weak and I have no clue. I assign it a low number. Its worked for me a couple of times. Not yesterday.

I gave it a zero, and lost 7(4) - 5(4). I give it a three and drop everything else back one. I would have won. I have to admit I felt pretty good about assigning it what I did yesterday. I talked with a surveyor and his assistant at work after submitting. They both knew the answer. The surveyor has a kid in junior high, and his assistant is 20 years old. The kid and the assistant both play it a lot. It must be a popular app with the kids. I went with "get to the other side"
Last edited by Sherm on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:25 pm The explanation on the message board is that "fitting" has to do with it being a Persian religion, and ergo, Farsi and Persia and Parsi somehow :roll: . I flat NHO Parsi, so no complain me that I changed my guess.
I also missed the Parsi/Parsee to Farsi to Persia to Zoroaster connection. I'm certainly not aware of a significant Jewish population in India, but Parsee sounded like it could be associated with "Pharisee," so Judaism was my desperate flail. At least there was a vague, if incorrect, association. Better than the video game -- I had no clue there at all.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I also wild-guessed "cross the road" but it didn't cost me, as my opponent, to my considerable surprise, assigned it zero. If there is one area of human knowledge whose importance is overemphasized in LL (and mind you, there may not be), I think it is video games.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:57 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:25 pm The explanation on the message board is that "fitting" has to do with it being a Persian religion, and ergo, Farsi and Persia and Parsi somehow :roll: . I flat NHO Parsi, so no complain me that I changed my guess.
I also missed the Parsi/Parsee to Farsi to Persia to Zoroaster connection. I'm certainly not aware of a significant Jewish population in India, but Parsee sounded like it could be associated with "Pharisee," so Judaism was my desperate flail. At least there was a vague, if incorrect, association. Better than the video game -- I had no clue there at all.
I thought it was a masterful clue. I'd never heard of Parsi either, but it sounded similar enough to Farsi that I was able to make the connection.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Almost went for what I thought might be MCA of Pontiac because of the Phoenix and Bonneville, but with the wording "are also models of vehicles manufactured by what automaker", and thinking route 10 wouldn't be required for the drive, it seemed like TA was looking for current vehicles.

Took me a while to remember the Tucson, then Santa Fe was easy.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Cars is a nightmare category. I came up with Kia Sedona, and it was the best I had.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 am Cars is a nightmare category. I came up with Kia Sedona, and it was the best I had.
You're actually not that far off! Hyundai Motor Group owns Kia, similar to how Stellantis (merger of PSA and FCA) owns Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Fiat, Peugeot, etc.

I've worked in automotive engineering for nearly 10 years; luckily the only thing my LL opponents see is "Female" and I usually get some points (2 yesterday!).
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I had thought of Tucson, Santa Fe, and Tahoe, then was sure that the Tucson was made by Chevrolet.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The first two car models that popped into my head for that question were the Tucson and the Sedona, but then I realized those were separate makes. I had to go back to the drawing board to remember that Hyundai also makes a Santa Fe SUV.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I managed a 3(2)-0(0) win on MD17 in my general rundle. I did a facepalm on Twilight Zone, as that is one of my favorite classic TV shows...after guessing Outer Limits. Record is now 8-8-1.

My opponent didn't have any forfeit losses but has only answered 1 question correctly all season. That's a remarkable feat, this late in the season. You would think, just by chance, that a day would pop up where something would land in their wheelhouse.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:14 am I managed a 3(2)-0(0) win on MD17 in my general rundle. I did a facepalm on Twilight Zone, as that is one of my favorite classic TV shows...after guessing Outer Limits. Record is now 8-8-1.

My opponent didn't have any forfeit losses but has only answered 1 question correctly all season. That's a remarkable feat, this late in the season. You would think, just by chance, that a day would pop up where something would land in their wheelhouse.
I answered "abyss", thinking there might be a Netflix show or whatever with the name. Twilight Zone might be an informal name, but doesn't fulfill the lack of sunlight requirement. In my brief scuba diving experience, I didn't hear the term. The color spectrum disappeared about 80 feet (in the Caribbean) and I would have called that region the twilight zone. We did one night dive and I told our instructor that there would be 3 dive lights for sale on eBay the next day - it was a terrible experience :( .

The whole twelvefootclan missed this clue and only one other JBH boardie missed it. Is this a regular trivia staple?

I was curious about your opponent because I admire/appreciate the LL members that stick with it to either improve, learn something, or just grind out an answer or two now and then. That is my own self description (although I've learned my lesson on signing up for MiniLeagues that I have no shot at getting at least one a day). I did a deep dive (pun intended), and this player must have some pass for the season - I hope it isn't a medical situation. All of his games are shown as zeroes assigned on defense and points awarded as 5(3), 3(2), 2(1), etc.. (the default forfeit TPA I think). I didn't mean to get so nosy - I hope this player rebounds next season :!: .

The "colt" clue is another masterpiece. I had to think of "filly" to convince myself. I've now researched pony vs. horse and am dumber than I was before. A pony is the same as a horse, except it isn't :roll: . If the animal is over 4'-10", it isn't ambiguous. Otherwise, who knows...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mujason

Post by mujason »

The "Twilight Zone" question was the Final in this 2011 episode: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3655
-Jason
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:46 am
I answered "abyss", thinking there might be a Netflix show or whatever with the name. Twilight Zone might be an informal name, but doesn't fulfill the lack of sunlight requirement.
I initially had read the question this way too, but then realized that it's not actually what the wording says. The zone asked for does not have a lack of sunlight, rather it "ENDS where rays from the sun cannot reach." Once I read it right I reasoned out what it had to be immediately, even though I've never heard the term either.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

All I remembered from "the Twilight Zone" companion was that it was an effect experienced by aircraft pilots. Annoying not to have remembered that old FJ, but there was the crutch there of "classic 60's TV show" whereas I don't expect to have heard of most TV shows that come up in LL. I am often handicapped by assuming such a negative attitude.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mujason wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 am The "Twilight Zone" question was the Final in this 2011 episode: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3655
That's why I knew it. I think the unique endgame (not a lot of Jeopardy matches end with first place at $x,x99 and second at $x,x98) helped make it memorable.