LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4746
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm Demoted! (shakes fist angrily at the skies)
You'll be back in A before long, my friend.
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4746
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:06 pm I said "corset" and didn't think it could really be anything else. Malayalam for the language, which at least is South Indian.

I shot par for the season and avoided relegation though my match score puts me on the bubble and I was outanswered by all three of my fellow bubblers. Showing again that it's easier to stay in A than to get there.
I said Gujarati, which turns out to be the 6th most spoken language in India. I knew it wasn't Tamil because that's restricted to the extreme south of India. Our finish in A Continental was a JBoard-fest: I managed to sneak into third on the last day when I managed to defeat my Branch founder and OQL captain Reddpen. In so doing, I moved past erstwhile boardie Slam. Meanwhile, my referrer and OQL teammate bomtr was firmly ensconced in the top spot, as is his wont.
User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm Demoted! (shakes fist angrily at the skies)
You'll be back in A before long, my friend.
Well, I set a new record for Most correct answers against, season: 114

:?
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4746
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm Demoted! (shakes fist angrily at the skies)
You'll be back in A before long, my friend.
Well, I set a new record for Most correct answers against, season: 114

:?
#Alife
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 860
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: LL Season 93

Post by sarisson »

I somehow survived in A despite tying for the fewest wins in my rundle. (I tied my previous record for ties with 8.) I also reached two career milestones: 2500 correct answers and 700 games without a forfeit. Next season, I should get my 300th win; I'm only one loss away from 300.
Hoping for a third lap
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 10170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LL Season 93

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm Demoted! (shakes fist angrily at the skies)
Me too, for the second season straight. A .710 DE, so that was good, but my QPct was below my avg for the 4th season running.
User avatar
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 am
Location: Holland, Michigan

Re: LL Season 93

Post by jjwaymee »

Big congratulations to Blue Lion on qualifying for the LL Championship! This season’s A Horizon podium was a clean sweep for Boardies, with the other two spots captured by myself and BigDaddyMatty.
User avatar
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:34 am

Re: LL Season 93

Post by kerryoakie »

Well, it came down to MD25 where I needed a win or tie and someone in 2nd to 4th to lose and I came up short, sticking in D for another season. It's a little frustrating because the player who won our rundle in her sophomore season DEFINITELY should've been promoted to B or C out of her rookie season. She had 22 more TCA than the next closest player in our rundle and more TCA than all but one person in C! Maybe some battlefield promotion magic will let me go back to C, but I'm not holding my breath...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: LL Season 93

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:50 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:06 pm I said "corset" and didn't think it could really be anything else. Malayalam for the language, which at least is South Indian.

I shot par for the season and avoided relegation though my match score puts me on the bubble and I was outanswered by all three of my fellow bubblers. Showing again that it's easier to stay in A than to get there.
I said Gujarati, which turns out to be the 6th most spoken language in India. I knew it wasn't Tamil because that's restricted to the extreme south of India. Our finish in A Continental was a JBoard-fest: I managed to sneak into third on the last day when I managed to defeat my Branch founder and OQL captain Reddpen. In so doing, I moved past erstwhile boardie Slam. Meanwhile, my referrer and OQL teammate bomtr was firmly ensconced in the top spot, as is his wont.
I managed to change not just one but two right answers to wrong ones before submitting, though fixing both goofs wouldn't have affected the result. Knew Norton had broken Ali's jaw, but didn't think it was in 1973 or that Norton would be in a Boxing HoF so switched to Foreman, who Ali beat the only time they fought. And I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
Tried Punjab for the language--#11 in India.
In and out of the pool four times
User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by Lefty »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 pm
I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
Tried Punjab for the language--#11 in India.
I thought the Liberty Island question might prove a trap for New Yorkers who were aware that Bedloe's Island had something to do with the statue but not that it was another name for Liberty Island (having worked in the tourism business, this would have been an unfortunate thing for me not to know).

In retrospect, "corset" looks much more French than Anglo-Saxon, but "thong" never appeared on my radar. "Certain settings" looked portentous and my mind ran to S&M clubs rather than the more genteel sort of place where you might expect to see thongs.
I'm smart and I want respect.
User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: LL Season 93

Post by AFRET CMS »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm
reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 pm
I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
Tried Punjab for the language--#11 in India.
I thought the Liberty Island question might prove a trap for New Yorkers who were aware that Bedloe's Island had something to do with the statue but not that it was another name for Liberty Island (having worked in the tourism business, this would have been an unfortunate thing for me not to know).

In retrospect, "corset" looks much more French than Anglo-Saxon, but "thong" never appeared on my radar. "Certain settings" looked portentous and my mind ran to S&M clubs rather than the more genteel sort of place where you might expect to see thongs.
Maybe it's another regionalism (my mother was from Tennessee), but in my family as I was growing up we referred to "rubber flip-flops" as "shower thongs" ... or just plain "thongs." Probably would get strange looks if I talked about wearing thongs as a little boy. Fortunately, I looked past shower shoes and remembered using leather thongs to lace hiking boots.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4746
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by Woof »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm
reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 pm
I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
Tried Punjab for the language--#11 in India.
I thought the Liberty Island question might prove a trap for New Yorkers who were aware that Bedloe's Island had something to do with the statue but not that it was another name for Liberty Island (having worked in the tourism business, this would have been an unfortunate thing for me not to know).

In retrospect, "corset" looks much more French than Anglo-Saxon, but "thong" never appeared on my radar. "Certain settings" looked portentous and my mind ran to S&M clubs rather than the more genteel sort of place where you might expect to see thongs.
Maybe it's another regionalism (my mother was from Tennessee), but in my family as I was growing up we referred to "rubber flip-flops" as "shower thongs" ... or just plain "thongs." Probably would get strange looks if I talked about wearing thongs as a little boy. Fortunately, I looked past shower shoes and remembered using leather thongs to lace hiking boots.
My mother, who grew up in Portland, OR, likewise referred to them as thongs. It might be more associated with earlier generations (for whom the more recent meaning meant little if anything) than a particular region. Since I grew up among many Japanese-American families, I also heard them called zoris.
User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2389
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: LL Season 93

Post by twelvefootboy »

I've been off the screen a lot since MD25, and there's a lot to unpack

1) congrats, AFRET on a solid performance, especially rookie defense. Your group had 4 Krakens who will burn up their B rundle before landing in A.
2) of course jjwaymee and BigDaddyMatty were dominant after relaxing in the JBoardhavoc lounge before each match. mahatma balanced his charitable giving by thumping his opponents to get 2nd in his A rundle. Sorry that trainman couldn't carry over his winning the PCAA race into a podium finish. I think that future sessions will comprise of the handicapped race for TPA (which favors d/e players), and the straight up PCAA (points per correct answer against), which evens out the schedule best.
3) I remain in E with 17th place in spite of better than tfb normal defense. I was second in TCA until the tough sledding in the last quarter of the season, wound up fifth with 65 TCA.

In re MD25, I seem to be the only one to connect chamois to chemise. I've no idea what a chemise is, but a soft leather rag could have been a cord at one time. I would have also gone with garter if I'd thought of it. And thong is next up.
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 pm Maybe it's another regionalism (my mother was from Tennessee), but in my family as I was growing up we referred to "rubber flip-flops" as "shower thongs" ... or just plain "thongs."
Same in Missouri, I never heard the term flip-flops until the 90's I think. I also used to call the kitchen forceps "thongs", but my wife made me quit.

You all know a lot of Indian languages. My good business friend explained the three he spoke to me but I don't remember what they were. I might have thought of Tamil, but I just put Sanskrit with no hope.

I'll kill some internet bits and bytes with JBoardhavoc results later..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2652
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: LL Season 93

Post by triviawayne »

Although this one is shared, it is my 2nd VBWA win.

There are virtually no women in a 19c novel; 1st film adaptation presented a change: main (human) character's female love interest central to plot. Her rejection (due to his amputation) was source of his animus & raison d'être.

A Farewell to Arms
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Post Reply