LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: LL Season 93

Post by nserven »

I was fortunate to have my response of Granada (instead of Grenada) accepted to start off the season with a 9(6). I know a wrong spelling counts as correct if there's no change in pronunciation, but in this case the other spelling is an entirely different place.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

nserven wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:16 pm I was fortunate to have my response of Granada (instead of Grenada) accepted to start off the season with a 9(6). I know a wrong spelling counts as correct if there's no change in pronunciation, but in this case the other spelling is an entirely different place.
But that's not an island; it's a Ford.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

nserven wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:16 pm I was fortunate to have my response of Granada (instead of Grenada) accepted to start off the season with a 9(6). I know a wrong spelling counts as correct if there's no change in pronunciation, but in this case the other spelling is an entirely different place.
The "no change in pronunciation" standard is the Jeopardy rule, and while LL does have a sounds-alike rule, there is also an allowance for a little more subjectivity in judgments.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:48 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:13 am
Volante wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:49 am *shakes fist* Coachella!!

...I thought it was a science question, like, monarch butterflies or something. And let's be honest, even if I -did- research that FJ fully, I still wouldn't mentally rate a music festival as 'most notably' :lol:

My first loss due to defense in over a season...auspicious.
I got the FJ quickly, missed this one.

I think if I bothered to "do the math" of the three years, it would've led me to thinking about a COVID related cancellation, and I went the butterfly route while wondering why they didn't show up for three years.
lol I had monarchs down, but then keyed in on the specific date and got to pandemic shutdowns – and with that, locked in my first 9(6) on MD1 in 22 seasons!

I figured ennui would play hard, but then I noticed it had to rhyme with sea - gave it a 3 and my opponent did indeed get it, only missing Grenada (seriously?)
Another fist-shaker here, missed the significance of the dates. Wondered if Indio was anywhere near Capistrano and wondered if the swallows ever missed their homecoming.

Had never heard of The Gashlycrumb Tinies and didn't pick up on the rhyme scheme. Looked it up after submission and immediately ordered it! I plan to introduce it to my grandson in a few years -- along with Tom Lehrer, the Far Side, Firesign Theater, and the Addams Family as becomes ready.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"She's an adorable baby. Look, she has your grandfather's eyes"

"Yes. We should probably make her give them back."
So, wrapped up my very first LL day with a 3(3) loss. Maybe it will get better. Still waiting for evidence supporting or opposing my hypothesis that mediocrity in TDs correlates to mediocrity in LL defense.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Volante wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:37 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:48 am I figured ennui would play hard, but then I noticed it had to rhyme with sea - gave it a 3 and my opponent did indeed get it, only missing Grenada (seriously?)
I got the rhyme trick, but best I could come up with was 'glee'
I got rhyming thing as well. I ended up with melancholy.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Sherm wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:48 am I figured ennui would play hard, but then I noticed it had to rhyme with sea - gave it a 3 and my opponent did indeed get it, only missing Grenada (seriously?)
I got rhyming thing as well. I ended up with melancholy.
I said jealousy, though its stress pattern would make for a weak rhyme. I can't see dying from ennui, even in a poem.

I felt smart when I switched from income tax to swallows.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had "anxiety."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm
So, wrapped up my very first LL day with a 3(3) loss. Maybe it will get better. Still waiting for evidence supporting or opposing my hypothesis that mediocrity in TDs correlates to mediocrity in LL defense.
Congrats, AFRET. I think you played one of the top players in the rookie class yesterday (MD1). You are in the top 11 so far and probably will cruise easily into the top 8. Top 3 is tough in the rookie rundle because of phenoms like MasterCone, and enough pop culture questions to bog you down.

MD1 was a tough set for me - I'm supposed to get science questions but I'm not enough of a space junkie to remember Triton. I got credit for the island, although I was apparently was thinking of my old Ford Granada with the Corinthian leather.

Thorsten embeds little helping words: (most notably) was to help you confirm a Coachella get from musical notes. The parenthetical was there for only that reason, he could have used dozens of choices or none at all. I went with the swallows, hoping it was a lesser version of Capistrano. My barn swallows came back on April 9 this year, so I figured it was too late (March 19 is the famous schedule).

Too soon to see how Jboardhavoc is trending. mahatma managed to maximize a 3 for my solo get. In a weird schedule sync, I play twelvefootbro in both the real E rundle and the JBH rundle today.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Alright guys. Convince me not to ragequit. Lol. I'm brand new to LL, beat my opponent both rounds in terms of number of questions correct, but lost both rounds on points. It sure seems right now like the points introduce unnecesary randomness and hand wins to weaker trivia players. Convince me I'm wrong and should stick with this. :lol:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 am Alright guys. Convince me not to ragequit. Lol. I'm brand new to LL, beat my opponent both rounds in terms of number of questions correct, but lost both rounds on points. It sure seems right now like the points introduce unnecesary randomness and hand wins to weaker trivia players. Convince me I'm wrong and should stick with this. :lol:
because in your rookie season, there isn't enough data to do anything with defense; and you could be an E rundle player against an A rundle player.

It also takes some time to get used to the writing style. Pay attention to every word, there is often something in there very important.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 am Alright guys. Convince me not to ragequit. Lol. I'm brand new to LL, beat my opponent both rounds in terms of number of questions correct, but lost both rounds on points. It sure seems right now like the points introduce unnecesary randomness and hand wins to weaker trivia players. Convince me I'm wrong and should stick with this. :lol:
All this means is you're one of us now. You were wise to get the absurdity out of the way early. It will even out in your favor with time.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

nserven wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:30 am
All this means is you're one of us now. You were wise to get the absurdity out of the way early. It will even out in your favor with time.
Alright, you convinced me. :D I'm enjoying the trivia so far. I'll just treat it as a fun trivia exercise, and if I happen to win, that's extra. It's just kind of jarring at first when you beat 2/2 opponents in number of questions correct and go 0/2 in matches.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 am
Alright, you convinced me. :D I'm enjoying the trivia so far. I'll just treat it as a fun trivia exercise, and if I happen to win, that's extra. It's just kind of jarring at first when you beat 2/2 opponents in number of questions correct and go 0/2 in matches.
Serenity now. Serenity now. :)

We love mock outrage here on the board! Good thing you weren't Bucknered: (from the glossary)
Spoiler
Buckner
(n.) Paying homage to the end of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, a Buckner is an incident in which a player gets two more questions correct than their opponent, and still loses the match. Buckner as a noun refers to the incident itself, and can be used by both the winner and the loser to describe it.
I thought I had no chance because I only got one question right, but I won on a buckner.

I lost yesterday on a buckner — that’s the last time I ever submit answers without looking at my opponent’s Player Data chart!

(v.) To get two more questions correct but still lose the match. Invariably due to catastrophically bad defense.
I was excited about getting five questions right today, until I found out I had bucknered.
You can expand or contract your participation to suit yourself on many levels. I like the depth of the stats that are available and watching your grade card (Player Data) develop by categories. There's even comfort in ineptitude - you might make the unluckiest Llama top 1% which is compiled at the end of the season.

To me, it's much more frustrating to beat yourself, but you just need the temperament of a golfer. I actually thought of Sake (the drink) yesterday, but didn't connect it to the one syllable noun version :roll: . If I'm lucky, I'll land a couple of lucky guesses later.

Thanks for sharing and commiserating!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Tough start to the season.

Somehow I'd never heard of Encarta before. Very surprised at the get rate on that one. I did initially try to rhyme to swept out to sea but ended up just saying "broken heart" as I had nothing else.

Grenada did cross my mind but I wasn't too familiar with the specifics and Thanksgiving didn't seem to fit with an invasion. Figured October could still be hurricane season and went with Puerto Rico.

Yesterday wasn't any better. I guessed "Perfection" for the "Operation" question, Denmark instead of Germany, Eiffel Tower in place of Empire State Building.

I knew there was a "'terminus" cocktail so I went with that.

Edit - well I thought terminus was a cocktail. Can only find a couple references to it online though.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:53 am ...Denmark instead of Germany...
No shame there, you're in company with 23% of the league. Not sure there's a way out of coin flipping that if you don't know it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Yesterday I idiotically waived off the Empire State Building, as in my mind I somehow was certain that wasn't a military plane that hit that. Ended up putting the mostly nonsensical Mt. Fuji but squeaked out a win on defense, helped by the fact that question ended up assigned 0 for me.

DysonSphere - I'm only 2 days past rookie season myself, but can tell you it definitely gets better after there are enough days in the books to make at least some sort of educated guess as to what your opponent's stregths are (then again, I still assigned 0 points to one of the questions my opponent missed yesterday!)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I figured Thorsten would accept "fluid mechanics" and "fluid dynamics" on yesterday's Q3, but glad to see he did since I answered with the former.

I expected a lot more people to know about the B-25 crashing into the ESB. I assigned that one one point and my opponent missed it. He also missed my zero, which was Operation, so not the greatest defensive day but I still won.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Fluid dynamics, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics, etc, all being accepted makes me wish I hadn't agonized over hydrodynamics vs hydraulics for 30 minutes.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MasterCone wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm Fluid dynamics, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics, etc, all being accepted makes me wish I hadn't agonized over hydrodynamics vs hydraulics for 30 minutes.
I was suprised at the leniency there. I thought the focus on engineering was a pretty clear signpost to 'hydraulics', while the others seem a little more theoretical (PHYS301 instead of MENG301).
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 am
The golf analogy mentioned elsewhere is apt. Focus mostly on competing against yourself and trying to get better, rather than match results. I think most would argue that adding in defense makes it more of a game, and less of a pop quiz. Surely there are people who would excel at shooting contests/home run derby/long drive contests but not necessarily at basketball/baseball/golf.

I think LL is a good competition for J! folks, because the good LL questions and good J! questions (answers) have a lot in common. Again, more of a game than just a test of knowledge.