LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: LL Season 93

Post by triviawayne »

After staring with the best season ever, a return to the normal has taken over just in time for me to now need to fight for promotion.

I'll take this instead of fighting to stay out of relegation.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

JboardHavoc update:

I have misplaced the first half results (through MD11) I need to separate the second round, but with only today left in round 2, ClassicRoadster has demonstrated the most fecklessness in TPA, and ties trainman in place points. Once I split the rounds, I think it will reveal a very un-dominant performance for CR in the second semester.

It has been very hard to give me points the last few games. I was only one CA less than .500 (3 per day) a few days ago and have had three consecutive 1 CA days.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yesterday I achieved the dubious honor of a WOOF victory.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I spent a lot of time yesterday until I came up with Thomas the tank engine. I mean I was proud of myself. It hit me on the drive home from work. It was a TV question with a book, and I figured I had to know it, and I kept coming back to the question.

The kick in the butt. Haman just meant nothing to me. I read it a couple of times. I grew up in a church atmosphere, and had they hit me with Esther or Mordecai I'm probably there pretty fast. Had I spent the time on it, as I did Thomas. I might have been able to pull it as well. I just gave up on the question way too fast.

I have no problem with questions when you can say to yourself. I've never heard that, but the ones you know when you see that answer. That just bothers me, and it only happens about every day.

France 75 the other day. I didn't get it. I'm not a drinker and I don't know that I ever heard of France 75 until watching the Chase on Sunday night on hulu. Did I mention I didn't get it on Monday.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:46 am JboardHavoc update:

I have misplaced the first half results (through MD11) I need to separate the second round, but with only today left in round 2, ClassicRoadster has demonstrated the most fecklessness in TPA, and ties trainman in place points. Once I split the rounds, I think it will reveal a very un-dominant performance for CR in the second semester.

It has been very hard to give me points the last few games. I was only one CA less than .500 (3 per day) a few days ago and have had three consecutive 1 CA days.

At least I am good at being bad... Was in B last season, relegated to C this season, and currently in the relegation zone again. But man can I give out those 3's in JBoardhavoc!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Second day in a row I left one blank. Couldn't come up with any 11-season, mostly-syndicated TV shows on Monday and couldn't come up with any other Jewish holidays yesterday. Led to my 8th tie of the season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The difference between C & B for me. I won 2(1)-1(1). In B there is no way I get away with a singleton win.

After spending five minutes on the TV I gave up after figuring it was some CW or Netflix thing unknown to me. Oh, I needed to dig further back to peg those names and think younger than teens.

By some kind of repetitive archiving miracle I managed to get the author to spare me my first 0(0) ever outside of a mini-league. Purim would have occurred to me eventually if I had not wasted so many brain cells on the trains.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

...the person with a listed location of London, UK, failed to get Catherine.

My defense has taken a bit of a hit compared to last season...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:36 am ...the person with a listed location of London, UK, failed to get Catherine.

My defense has taken a bit of a hit compared to last season...
My opponent from Trinity College and Dublin, Ireland did not got it for 0 points.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

FML I considered H.D. but left it blank when will I learn!? LMFAO just kill me
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:43 am FML I considered H.D. but left it blank when will I learn!? LMFAO just kill me
I put Doctor, as it fit her last name.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Second rotation through the schedule: The game must be rigged because twelvefootboy faced the most correct answers (and therefore the chance to assign points).

Using TPA as the metric favors the luck of the draw, as seen by the results. I am thinking the most neutral way to see who stinks the most is via the points per correct answer against (PCAA). Next would be DE. I like Unforced points against for the optics, but it also is dependent on your opponent having a good hair day.

This table is second round only results - jaywaymee is trending up in spite of the worst schedule. ClassicRoadster is the overall winner and has an edge in the total for the first two rounds (compiled, probably will just wait and post the finale results. trainman and jaywaymee had to face a bagel along the way.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Last summer, I read Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead"...so was glad to see a question about it on MD23.

Right now...I'm reading her magnum opus, "Atlas Shrugged". It is nearly 1200 pages of small print. I started the book in March and just passed page 700 this morning. It's an engrossing story but not one that is easy to read. However, now that I'm this far along, I intend to finish it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Had my first RTFQ moment in a while...so did several others when answering Haiti.

It wasn't an instaget, it took a few minutes of staring at it to figure it out, and when I hit on Haiti, just typed it in without re-reading the question.

At least I was given a zero, so no change in standings, but now instead of fighting for a championship, I'm fighting for promotion.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I had "Abu Dhabi" until the last minute when I metagamed myself out of the correct answer. I thought these must be the seven pillars of islam because there wouldn't be two geography questions directly beside each other. So I switched my answer to "hajj".

Couldn't remember which Ayn Rand book went with Howard Roark and which with John Galt. Ended up guessing wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 am I had "Abu Dhabi" until the last minute when I metagamed myself out of the correct answer. I thought these must be the seven pillars of islam because there wouldn't be two geography questions directly beside each other. So I switched my answer to "hajj".

Couldn't remember which Ayn Rand book went with Howard Roark and which with John Galt. Ended up guessing wrong.
Another Hajj here for the 7 Pillars reasoning, not having any clue about Abu Dhabi. One point for me on the Rand and I got away with risking a 3 for DHK on it. I had to 0 and 1 the geography stuff on him. My 6(4)-2(3) moved me from 4th to 3rd.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Joke's on me. I thought there were only 5 pillars of Islam.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mahatma wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 am Joke's on me. I thought there were only 5 pillars of Islam.
Conflating it with Lawrence of Arabia's 7 Pillars of Wisdom, I assume.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

After checking the LL forum, seems I wasn't the only one who knew 'heliotrope' but thought it just referred to the way plants followed the sun, not that it was a species unto itself
bluejaylink wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 am Couldn't remember which Ayn Rand book went with Howard Roark and which with John Galt. Ended up guessing wrong.
I've seen the movie version of The Fountainhead. It stuck with me in that they found a way to make Gary Cooper boring. I guess that counts as an accomplishment?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bounced out of the relegation zone, barely. It ain’t over til it’s over, kids!