LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 93

Post by mrparadise »

I finished one spot out of the promotion zone last season so I was pleasantly surprised to be promoted back to my old B rundle haunts. Now, not so much. I tied on opening day (perhaps the highlight of my season) then lost the last three 9(6), 9(6), 9(5). Yikes! Who are these phenoms and what have they done with my former B rundler mates?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My opponent gave me 3 for da Vinci. :lol: Good thing my "Livin'" was counted as correct or I would have had to quit LL. After my submission I looked into the songs and found two are "Living" and one is "Livin'". Is it that hard to to find three identical matches?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 am
reddpen wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:24 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:04 pm I got credit for the island, although I was apparently was thinking of my old Ford Granada with the Corinthian leather.
The rich Corinthian leather luxurified the Chrysler Cordoba.
Montalban was reportedly piqued at having to say "cor-DO-ba" rather than "COR-do-ba", but one way he'd be paid in dollars and the other way in pesos.
The attribution for the rich Corinthian leather is just one more thing I've screwed up so far in just 4 match days :roll: . Thanks for the refresher, I never actually owned cars that nice back in the day and they probably didn't live long enough to become my beater du jour. Those were the dark ages for US cars. I guessed Austin Mini Cooper for the Kentucky plant - I somehow thought they had a US assembly operation and the time frame seemed to match the Mini craze.

I landed a nice guess on Cro-Magnon; this is the kind of clue I like where we learn something about an ancient fact in our brain. I gave it all back with sloppy play yesterday. I knew the Vitruvian man and even imaged the shot from the Da Vinci Code movie, so of course I answered "Michelangelo". The guys with the big tall hats - easy... Beefmasters :( . We used to have a restaurant named Beefmasters, which I channeled as a mnemonic to get to Beefeaters, but failed to make the switch from my mnemonic. sigh.

I'm off to my worst start thanks to 3 unforced errors. Besides those I should have pulled Zulu, Encarta, and Operation. I settled too soon on bad guesses or blanks.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

No clue on the car – was gonna put Chevy Corvette until I made the Kentucky / horse connection like 29% of the League and lost my match ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:29 am No clue on the car – was gonna put Chevy Corvette until I made the Kentucky / horse connection like 29% of the League and lost my match ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But the Mustang isn't a horse car, it's a pony car.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 am My opponent gave me 3 for da Vinci. :lol: Good thing my "Livin'" was counted as correct or I would have had to quit LL. After my submission I looked into the songs and found two are "Living" and one is "Livin'". Is it that hard to to find three identical matches?
I ruled out "Living" because the Bon Jovi Song I thought of was "Livin' on a Prayer" and I figured consistency would be necessary and I didn't think the other three would have a "Livin'" title. As it turns out, "Livin' on a Prayer" was a 1987 hit for Bon Jovi, and the question specified 1988 for them; their 1988 album New Jersey's last single was "Living in Sin," which peaked at #9 the following year. (The songs in question seem to have been "Living for the City," "Living After Midnight," "Living in America," and "Living in Sin.")
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:57 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 am My opponent gave me 3 for da Vinci. :lol: Good thing my "Livin'" was counted as correct or I would have had to quit LL. After my submission I looked into the songs and found two are "Living" and one is "Livin'". Is it that hard to to find three identical matches?
I ruled out "Living" because the Bon Jovi Song I thought of was "Livin' on a Prayer" and I figured consistency would be necessary and I didn't think the other three would have a "Livin'" title. As it turns out, "Livin' on a Prayer" was a 1987 hit for Bon Jovi, and the question specified 1988 for them; their 1988 album New Jersey's last single was "Living in Sin," which peaked at #9 the following year. (The songs in question seem to have been "Living for the City," "Living After Midnight," "Living in America," and "Living in Sin.")
Thanks for the helpful post. At least if I end losing my one point, I still would win anyway.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I initially was thinking Mustang due to the horse connection but I thought the Mustang wasn't really a sports car.

The only well-known American sports cars I could think of were the Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette.

I knew that Chevy was closely tied to Detroit but wasn't sure if Dodger was so I went with the Viper.

Turns out it's a way more recent model than I guessed it was.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:29 am No clue on the car – was gonna put Chevy Corvette until I made the Kentucky / horse connection like 29% of the League and lost my match ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So, much like the Corvette museum, you were sunk?
( https://jalopnik.com/theres-a-sinkhole- ... 1521317946 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am I landed a nice guess on Cro-Magnon; this is the kind of clue I like where we learn something about an ancient fact in our brain.
I came up with Lascaux immediately and was feeling greatly impressed by myself until I submitted and the pain set in realizing that that didn't really meet the other requirement of the question to be the name of an actual hominid, and it was actually simpler than I had made it. :roll:

My opponent yesterday also assigned me 3 for Da Vinci and handed me a free win, and I'm still somehow undefeated.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:40 pm
So, much like the Corvette museum, you were sunk?
( https://jalopnik.com/theres-a-sinkhole- ... 1521317946 )
The Bowling Green massacre
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Damned whale.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:08 am Damned whale.
I thought that was a gimme! My opponent knew the Bollywood guy but missed the Dick?! Beat me 5(4)-7(4)

I put queen bee but figured bee would be good enough
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I need to get better about RTFQ.

On the Flickr question I skimmed over everything except the part after the last comma. I still got it right on a lucky guess, but I felt so stupid when I noticed the rest of the question statement hours after the fact.

Maybe I should start reading the questions aloud... but that will be hard to keep up after the semester starts in the fall.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:17 am
I thought that was a gimme! My opponent knew the Bollywood guy but missed the Dick?! Beat me 5(4)-7(4)
I had no clue on either of those. That led to a 4(4)-4(4) tie and me with a 1-1-3 record through week 1.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought that was a gimme!
Me too. I'm really surprised that one played so difficult. When I thought of a book written before 1926 with a major character who's an amputee and no female characters, Moby-Dick was the first thing that crossed my mind. My wife came up with the joke answer "A Farewell to Arms." :D
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:20 pm
Me too. I'm really surprised that one played so difficult. When I thought of a book written before 1926 with a major character who's an amputee and no female characters, Moby-Dick was the first thing that crossed my mind. My wife came up with the joke answer "A Farewell to Arms." :D
I was having a difficult day and couldn't think straight. I was trying to come up with an 1800s book with an amputee and just couldn't, even though it is obvious.

With nothing to try, I did submit "A Farewell to Arms"
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I just checked the standings for the newb league (R). I'm 13th in the standings because of points weirdness. When it comes to total correct answers, however, I'm 2nd.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:32 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:20 pm
I was having a difficult day and couldn't think straight. I was trying to come up with an 1800s book with an amputee and just couldn't, even though it is obvious.

With nothing to try, I did submit "A Farewell to Arms"
I thought ‘animus’ and ‘raison d’être’ were also big hints
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*sigh of relief* My spoonerism was accepted (Sien Finn) and it saved me the win
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)