Monday, May 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:58 pm Who exactly calls it the St. Louis Arch?
Raises hand. (Also twelvefootgirl)
Lifelong Missouri resident 300 miles downstate and I doubt if I've heard it called the Gateway Arch 10% of the time, and probably only by newscasters, etc.. I seem to have the opposite observations of Golf, but now that my smell tester is loaded I'll pay attention to how I hear it the next few times. I learned about it in My Weekly Reader ca. 1964 and it was a big deal at the time. I'm glad the contestants used St. Louis Arch or I wouldn't have known whether to count it as correct.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:20 pm
Recent national parks quizzes on one of the apps I frequent made this DD a slam dunk. Fun fact: the Gateway Arch is 630 feet in both height and width.
Another fun fact: The name of the curve is the Catenary curve (specifically the inverted curve formed by a weighted chain). I think EVERY math or physics book cites this when you first learn of the hyperbolic cosine function.

This was a decent game, and Mayim seemed to do better than last week. She properly negged Thomas Morse, and accepted Samuel Morse without being tested with just "Morse". Nick could have won with average competitors, but Ryan seems like a strong player if he can keep buzzer mojo. Divya seemed to blank out on her Carol of the Bells again. She couldn't get the Horse with No name earworm out of her brain :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I've lived in Missouri since 1994 and St. Louis for about three years, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've heard it called anything but "The Arch".
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:22 pm Nick's website and insta have a lot of great sample work. Talented photography.
Thank you for alerting me to this. They're beautiful. I may have to splurge on a print of that shot of the LA skyline with Dodger Stadium.
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:10 am I've lived in Missouri since 1994 and St. Louis for about three years, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've heard it called anything but "The Arch".
There was that time in 1996 where they tried calling it the Arch Deluxe, but that didn't stick around long.
Sprinkles are for winners.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Taking the SAT in 7th grade as part of a "talent search" never would have struck me as a J! interview story, because I would have assumed a lot of other contestants had that in their past. (I was in Florida, so I did it via Duke... and ended up attending their summer residential program for gifted students.)

I wish they had written the FJ! clue to require the actual name of the national park (thus requiring the "Gateway Arch" response).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:12 am
Robert K S wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:22 pm Nick's website and insta have a lot of great sample work. Talented photography.
Thank you for alerting me to this. They're beautiful. I may have to splurge on a print of that shot of the LA skyline with Dodger Stadium.
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:10 am I've lived in Missouri since 1994 and St. Louis for about three years, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've heard it called anything but "The Arch".
There was that time in 1996 where they tried calling it the Arch Deluxe, but that didn't stick around long.
I heard Roy Kroc sued.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I see a gateway to the answer! Tom said archly. I only ever have heard it as "Gateway Arch" but my friends and I never talked about it much.

In the old US (internet) chess league, I thought the cleverest-named team was the Saint Louis Arch Bishops. It's now gone international league but I think St. Louis still wins.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have visited the Arch and I think I have heard of it being the smallest park. Wrote down Gateway Arch. (Poll request on what everyone wrote down).
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I have also never heard it called the St Louis Arch. The correct name of the park is Jefferson Expansion National Memorial.

There was a dweeb who parachuted onto the arch and promptly slid down one leg and died.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 pm Another fun fact: The name of the curve is the Catenary curve (specifically the inverted curve formed by a weighted chain). I think EVERY math or physics book cites this when you first learn of the hyperbolic cosine function.
Catenaries are frequently confused with parabolas, but they are not the same.
Golf

Post by Golf »

trainman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:35 am Taking the SAT in 7th grade as part of a "talent search" never would have struck me as a J! interview story, because I would have assumed a lot of other contestants had that in their past. (I was in Florida, so I did it via Duke... and ended up attending their summer residential program for gifted students.)
I too took the SAT in 7th grade as part of the Duke Talent Search. Math pretty easy, English not so much. But yeah, never thought to include that as one of my 5 anecdotes. Now perhaps on game 64 or something..... :D
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Golf wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 am
trainman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:35 am Taking the SAT in 7th grade as part of a "talent search" never would have struck me as a J! interview story, because I would have assumed a lot of other contestants had that in their past. (I was in Florida, so I did it via Duke... and ended up attending their summer residential program for gifted students.)
I too took the SAT in 7th grade as part of the Duke Talent Search. Math pretty easy, English not so much. But yeah, never thought to include that as one of my 5 anecdotes. Now perhaps on game 64 or something..... :D
Nick definitely had the best interview material. I even chuckled at Mayim’s little quip at the end.
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:47 am I have also never heard it called the St Louis Arch. The correct name of the park is Jefferson Expansion National Memorial.

There was a dweeb who parachuted onto the arch and promptly slid down one leg and died.
In 2018, the area and a few other nearby spots became the Gateway Arch National Park. Wikipedia.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

FJ! was a layup, in fact, my 5-year-old knew the answer. Of course, we had visited the Arch literally the day before the airing of the show, so that helped him! This was the first time I had been down to the Arch since the years-long renovation project. They really did a good job with the museum and displays (again, I had as much time as a 5-year-old would allow). The move to making it more pedestrian friendly should help attract visitors.

I would have answered "The Arch" for FJ.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I wouldn't expect a St Louis resident to ever refer to the Gateway Arch as the 'St Louis Arch', any more than I would expect a Bostonian to talk about 'Boston Common', a New Orleanian to refer to the 'New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival', or an Angeleno to have any idea what to call the 'Los Angeles, California Angels of Anaheim 92806 (AL)'.

As a Kentuckian and longtime Louisvillian, you would never catch me saying 'Kentucky Derby'.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:48 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 pm Another fun fact: The name of the curve is the Catenary curve (specifically the inverted curve formed by a weighted chain). I think EVERY math or physics book cites this when you first learn of the hyperbolic cosine function.
I'm glad you said "not the same" rather than "entirely different" because that would have been hyperbolic.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:31 am
I'm glad you said "not the same" rather than "entirely different" because that would have been hyperbolic.
I was going to say this question was a sinh, but I wasn't sure if that would be cosher.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 am
Yeah, that and the "Carol of the Bells" story both seemed like places you'd go when you've run out of material. Nothing wrong with them as chitchat of course. I think we can all relate to an anecdote about something people claim not to have noticed and you're all "They totally noticed". But it makes you wonder what the other choices on the card were.

Nick's anecdote about arm wrestling was more at the level one expects. And I think Mayim handled it decently with her quip about having an arm wrestle off later. But I couldn't help thinking Ken would have handled it even better--maybe a joke about if this game ends in a tie, they can arm wrestle in lieu of the usual tiebreaker clue. That's unfair, of course, because now I'm comparing Mayim to hypothetical Ken. But I suspect I'm not wrong.

I really want Mayim to step aside and publicly throw her support behind Ken. That's the best path to coming out of this looking like a good guy (good gal? I hate these semi-gendered expressions that kind of work as unisex but also kind of don't) and leaving everyone with positive feelings about her place in Jeopardy! history.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:42 am That's unfair, of course, because now I'm comparing Mayim to hypothetical Ken. But I suspect I'm not wrong.
Would that be a Kenh?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I should have stated that the textbooks refer to the "Gateway" Arch when introducing the Catenary curve. If I learned the part about the tension/compression feature, I forgot it. The fact that the entire body is always in tension everywhere means the inverted form is always in compression everywhere, which means... the legs don't spread. Very cool. I will have to see how the Roman arches and flying buttresses compare as an exercise for the reader.

I found the revelation that trig functions were expressable in exponentials and Euler's number to be mind bending. Putting imaginary values in the exponent ... Mind Blown.

Parabolas are handy when I'm shooting hoops, but for some reason they all decay into bricks :cry: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mahatma wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:31 am
I was going to say this question was a sinh, but I wasn't sure if that would be cosher.
(applause to both of you)

Now I'm honestly curious what Seattleites typically call the Space Needle (same number of syllables as the Gateway Arch, so it's a fair comparison).