Tuesday, May 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A contemporary review of a novel by this man said he "commands attention as a kind of literary James Dean"

Ryan Long: 20000+7000=27000 (3x = $70,000)
Jason Smith: 16000-3500=12500
Justinne Lake-Jedzinak: 6200-2201=3999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jack Kerouac (Jason – Updike) (Justinne – Salinger)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 1400+1400
Ryan: 10800+8000
Justinne: 3200+2200

Coryats
Ryan: 13200
Jason: 15200
Justinne: 5600

Combined: 34,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 9200
Jason: 6400
Justinne: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was a only a matter of which player was going to blow the movie title as I could see the "From" coming as soon as the clue was revealed.

Ryan picked the right time to get some lit right with the FJ! clue as I might have bet against him after the Spenser and Progress stumpers.

The FJ! clue had me match Justinne to have a name on my paper. It's the kind of miss that is a "whatever" and wait for the next one. Can't the writers come up with something more interesting?

Ryan picked a good time to go big on a DD with the beginning and ending of the response already filled in.

What Ryan did not do was come even close to covering 32000 as he was five shy again. Jason bet for a possible 19500, so it's all working well for the champ so far.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Went Hemingway. I interpreted "contemporary" to mean "contemporary to now", instead of "contemporary to the author".

Agree with Mark that this kind of clue is meh; I'm sure I've said it before, I don't like these "read our minds" type clues.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For FJ I thought of Kerouac and John Kennedy Toole...and went with the latter. I agree that this was a dumb clue, but congrats to Ryan on getting it and earning another win.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Was Jason sleeping in the sequestered audience area during the previous game? He saw the champ under wager and give 2nd the opportunity to win. Did Jason learn from this? Of course not. Inexcusable.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I took contemporary to us, not to the article.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I was sort of lost on this FJ, cycling through 1950’s authors including some of the other guesses, until I thought “1950’s rebellious writer? Who does J! love to ask about from this era? Bingo!”
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

That FJ can take a hike. What is going on lately?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

25/0, 22/3. Jason got my respect early by going to Indigenous People and running it.
trash: Faerie Queene, Lebanon, Bunyan, TGEtWM, timid, tabard, plant crops.
:D :D :D :mrgreen: on betting clues. :lol: at the difficulty some of you seem to have had, seemed straightforward to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:15 pm 25/0, 22/3. Jason got my respect early by going to Indigenous People and running it.
trash: Faerie Queene, Lebanon, Bunyan, TGEtWM, timid, tabard, plant crops.
:D :D :D :mrgreen: on betting clues. :lol: at the difficulty some of you seem to have had, seemed straightforward to me.
Please let there be 2022 TV STREAMING SHOWS tomorrow so I can reverse the laugh. :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Definitely the kind of clue I look at and ask, "Who the hell cares?"

Said Hunter S. Thompson just to say something.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I watched the show after already being spoiled on the Final from the thread and I still couldn't get Final right.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Couldn't come up with the George Clooney film title.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:05 pm Said Hunter S. Thompson just to say something.
Me too.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was excited to see a "head of risk operations" at the center podium so I could evaluate his wagering. Jason picked up DD1 with $1400 to risk and put it all on the line. That's the right move, but a lot of contestants manage to make the right move in that situation: early in the game, not too much accumulated. Then he didn't pick up DD2 or DD3, so no chance to see his moves there. For FJ he made a reasonable bet that would allow him to win on a miss. I disagree with Golf that the only smart move was to take into account Ryan's previous underwagers and respond with an "overwager" that forces him to get FJ right to win. That's definitely an option and I'd respect it. But if he hates the category, his wager is reasonable. Should he hate the category? Well, he did miss this FJ. On the other hand, he got the two top row POETS clues. On the gripping hand, he couldn't come up with the author of The Pilgrim's Progress even when given extra think time while Ryan ruled out Chaucer (who, uh, didn't really need to be ruled out). And he couldn't get a clue that boiled down to "What's the one thing you need to connect with Edmund Spenser on this show?" So I'd say being cautious on a LITERATURE clue may have been a very good call.

Speaking of POETS, Mayim missed the opportunity to say Rrrrrobbie Burrrns. Again. Just like on February 9, 2022 for DD3. Sigh.

So SJ10 $200 INDIGENOUS PEOPLES: The nomadic herding of these animals was long the basis for the economy of the Sami of Scandinavia. - They want and get "reindeer". Mrs P said "caribou". Acceptable? They're the same animal, but some sites say the caribou is wild while the reindeer is domesticated. So I guess an argument could be made.... I'm inclined to give it to her, to ensure domestic tranquility but also because I think that's the right call.

I'm also inclined to give her SJ26 $800 THE AMERICAN RED CROSS: The Red Cross says many lives would be saved if Americans were trained & had access to an AED, an automated external one of these devices - They wanted and got defibrillator. She said defibrillation. That's not what the D stands for, but they didn't ask precisely that. It is a defibrillation device. So combining "defibrillation" with the word "devices" from the clue arguably gets her there. What do you think?

I'll just pause to shake my head again at contestants not able to get 1) the big poem by Edmund Spenser, and 2) the author of The Pilgrim's Progress.

Yesterday and today they resumed the practice of having the FJ category stay onscreen along with the clue. I hope that's back to stay. My first thought on this FJ clue was the correct one. I stuck with it despite slight uncertainty about whether On the Road was a novel or a non-fiction memoir. If I'd convinced myself to switch, it would've been to Ken Kesey. I also considered Hemingway but felt that the 1950s was rather late for him to be reviewed in that way. And I considered Tom Wolfe but was pretty sure he was writing non-fiction "new journalism" back then and his novel days were in the future. (I was right. His first novel was The Bonfire of the Vanities which came out in 1987.) I can't recall if I considered Salinger or not. Definitely didn't think of Updike.