Thursday, May 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Thursday, May 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ANCIENT WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
New research suggests a device now called the Archimedes screw helped maintain this one of the 7 Wonders of the World

Ryan Long: 16200+3001=19201 (5x = $105,801)
Bradford Pearson: 9600-9600=0
Julie Ann Crommett: 400-0=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Hanging Gardens (of Babylon) (Bradford – Colossus of Rhodes) (Julie Ann - Leaning Tower of Pisa)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 6600+2000
Julie Ann: 1400-1400
Bradford: 10600-1000

Coryats
Ryan: 15000
Bradford: 10600
Julie Ann: 1800

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 10600
Bradford: 2600
Julie Ann: 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ryan seemed destined to win early when the challengers guessed LotR & WofW for TTM.

Bradford got to plug his book:
Spoiler
Ryan got the laugh of the game with, "Let's do DRUGS for $1000".

The FJ! category had me guessing the right general area and the clue had me writing the full response while Ryan cut in half.

After Ryan's win he untucked his necklace to make all of it visible. It was obvious that the sacred fifth win had a lot of meaning for the champ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here it is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7361

"Less than a minute" said after DJ23 (that means the 23rd clue of the Double Jeopardy! round) and it was 1:47 later when the round ended. All but insisting on making DD3 played last must have extended the round's timing.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:53 pm Here it is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7361

"Less than a minute" said after DJ23 (that means the 23rd clue of the Double Jeopardy! round) and it was 1:47 later when the round ended. All but insisting on making DD3 played last must have extended the round's timing.
four clues left, three in the top row, one on the bottom. Where the bloody hell do they think the DD will be? :evil:
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:42 pm Ryan seemed destined to win early when the challengers guessed LotR & WofW for TTM.
agreed.

I found these to be a very ugly and poorly written set of boards. :x
At least FJ was straightforward. Which wonder had to do with water? Done. :mrgreen:
Julie Ann, at least guess an actual wonder. :roll: And thank Bradford for the extra $1K. :shock:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did Bradford forget about the second DD? Agree his FJ bet was a good way to burn $1,000.

I had no idea on FJ, so I guessed a random Wonder and got lucky. Apparently the Seven Ancient Wonders weren’t on Julie Ann’s short list study guide in her show prep.

Ryan’s comment about “do drugs” was even funnier when the clue was about illegal narcotics.
Golf

Post by Golf »

16200 to 10600 on the last clue DD30. Let's ignore everybody doing their best to not find that DD. :roll:

Important numbers, 10800 for the 2/3rds, 8100 for the lock tie. So 200+ correct gets you within 2/3rds, 1500- keeps you in the game. So a wager from 201-1499 has a definite upside with zero downside. A wager of 1000 accomplished that. Do I think it was intentional? Maybe, because....

Bradford might have been paying attention earlier in the week when the champ offered a win from the lead twice. Because otherwise there's no good reason to wager everything and perhaps throw away an extra $1k in the process. So either he's very strategic or he's silly lucky. But if one is strategic one knows how important the DD's are.

The fact that the clue is in the last row kind of hamstrings going big for the lead. But of course if you're comfortable in the category 2 right answers guarantees the win.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Grand Moff Tarkin, Drew Brees, Jon Taffer, all potential LSV stumpers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm So either he's very strategic or he's silly lucky.
Definitely the latter.

Instaget FJ. If you know Archimedes' screw is a a water screw, it makes it much simpler.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

econgator wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:30 pm Instaget FJ. If you know Archimedes' screw is a a water screw, it makes it much simpler.
Yup.

Nice of Bradford to give Julie a $1k gift.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,800
41 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: ballpoint pen, crest & trough, Al Gore (DD), Devil's Island, Gerald Ford, radioactive decay

Another good win for Ryan. He is very much hitting his stride.

I didn't consider the Hanging Gardens because, last I checked, that was the one Ancient Wonder that had not been confirmed to have actually existed. I see an article from 2018 indicating that an Oxford researcher claimed to have found evidence for a site a few hundred miles outside of Babylon. I also see some speculation dating from 2020 from a researcher claiming that since a device similar to Archimedes's Screw is described in ancient Assyrian writings, it was probably used in the Hanging Gardens as well. That seems awfully dodgy to me. (FTR, I went with the Lighthouse at Alexandria, figuring that maybe they used the movement of water to keep the light on/moving.)

Judges: on "A"/"Z" $1200, absolution for amnesty?

Whether by strategy or luck, Bradford made a reasonable wager on DD3. He had to get FJ! right either way, so it was just a matter of betting on either a solve on DD3 or a miss by the champ on FJ! I think the former is typically a much safer bet than the latter, but Bradford didn't look comfortable with the category.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:15 pm I found these to be a very ugly and poorly written set of boards. :x
At least FJ was straightforward. Which wonder had to do with water? Done. :mrgreen:
Well, both the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria also had to do with water. The Hanging Gardens did make more sense with 'maintain' thrown in the mix (as well as Archimedes' screw), though.

I agree about the boards; there were more than a few clues where I was asking myself what it was they were looking for. They were not written well.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:25 pm

Judges: on "A"/"Z" $1200, absolution for amnesty?
Absolution is a theological word. Amnesty is a "political" word, as in the clue.
I too said the Lighthouse...
I don't think guide should have been accepted for travel guide. I believe there's an edit there - MB's acceptance came fast for once - so evidently someone agreed with me...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:53 pm "Less than a minute" said after DJ23 (that means the 23rd clue of the Double Jeopardy! round) and it was 1:47 later when the round ended. All but insisting on making DD3 played last must have extended the round's timing.
four clues left, three in the top row, one on the bottom. Where the bloody hell do they think the DD will be? :evil:
Golf wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm 16200 to 10600 on the last clue DD30. Let's ignore everybody doing their best to not find that DD. :roll: guarantees the win.
And that 'ignoring the DD' likely got us all 60 played... damned if you do, damned if you don't
Bamaman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:08 pm I had no idea on FJ, so I guessed a random Wonder and got lucky. Apparently the Seven Ancient Wonders weren’t on Julie Ann’s short list study guide in her show prep.
Said it before, I'll keep saying it: the 7 Ancient Wonders should be prime study material. It's a short, finite list and they come up regularly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 pm I agree about the boards; there were more than a few clues where I was asking myself what it was they were looking for. They were not written well.
The one that stood out for me was Physics $2000; specifically, using the word "either" in a clue that asks for two things.

The Leaning Tower is evidently one of the Seven Wonders of the Medieval World, though I can't see how a screw would keep it from falling.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Congrats to Ryan for making the ToC.

Ryan and Bradford are both from Philadelphia. I'm just going to assume they live next door to each other.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

We welcome Grand Moff Tarkin to the J-Canon as a response. He previously appeared in a clue during Amy Schneider's run.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Jackie and John both have strong 4-day totals. It may not matter. There is still a lot of time for two more 5-day champs to enter the mix (at which point I assume they would just cut everything off). Yes, the TOC tracker has one more 4-time champ on it but the second chance player is also getting a bid.

Speaking of which, I do wonder if 4-time champs would get an automatic bid into that tournament. I would think so?