Monday, May 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

FJ was almost instant for me. Ran May 23, and AD. Precalled “Bend it Like Beckham”… I’ve been seeing ads… 20th anniversary this year.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What a moronic clue.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:15 pm
MasterCone wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:45 pm I'm pretty sure it is meaning to say the US has about 300,000 remaining SURVIVORS of the disease, not 300k afflicted with post-[answer] syndrome.
Oh, wow, I see what you mean, and yes, that is poor clue wording.

What is the rate of post [correct response] syndrome? Not closer to 100% for survivors? I never heard anyone remark they had it, and made a full recovery.
My husband got polio in the last epidemic before the vaccine; he was four. Post-polio syndrome refers to a return of muscle weakness decades after the disease is no longer present. Some polio victims died; some had lasting effects to some degree; some had all the effects resolve (for instance, Alan Alda is a polio survivor). But for those on whom its effects were permanent, as they aged, they had a return of physical problems reminiscent of polio. In my husband's case, he always needed crutches to walk. When I met him almost 40 years ago, he didn't use them much indoors, and could go without them while standing or walking for several minutes at a time. 5 years after I met him, he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro-- with crutches-- but still, he had the stamina for a very long hike at a high altitude. But as he got older, the arm and leg muscles he'd been over-using all his life to compensate began to "wear out", and now he uses crutches 100% of the time. Unfortunately, doctors who had expertise in treating post-polio syndrome are either deceased, retired, or long ago transferred their specialty to other ailments, because the number of US polio survivors is so small.

This is an example of a clue which worked instantly if you were the right age.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Leah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm
MasterCone wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:45 pm I'm pretty sure it is meaning to say the US has about 300,000 remaining SURVIVORS of the disease, not 300k afflicted with post-[answer] syndrome.

What is the rate of post [correct response] syndrome? Not closer to 100% for survivors? I never heard anyone remark they had it, and made a full recovery.
My husband got polio in the last epidemic before the vaccine; he was four. Post-polio syndrome refers to a return of muscle weakness decades after the disease is no longer present. Some polio victims died; some had lasting effects to some degree; some had all the effects resolve (for instance, Alan Alda is a polio survivor). But for those on whom its effects were permanent, as they aged, they had a return of physical problems reminiscent of polio. In my husband's case, he always needed crutches to walk. When I met him almost 40 years ago, he didn't use them much indoors, and could go without them while standing or walking for several minutes at a time. 5 years after I met him, he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro-- with crutches-- but still, he had the stamina for a very long hike at a high altitude. But as he got older, the arm and leg muscles he'd been over-using all his life to compensate began to "wear out", and now he uses crutches 100% of the time. Unfortunately, doctors who had expertise in treating post-polio syndrome are either deceased, retired, or long ago transferred their specialty to other ailments, because the number of US polio survivors is so small.

Glad he has been able to lead a normal life.

Amazing I think of polio as a relic of a bygone era and here two people in this thread have had someone close to them suffer from it.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

44 right.

Lach Trash: Camaro, Baghdad

DD: Chrysler Building, castle cleats, Air Force Academy, Heinrich Himmler, United States, Gila River

FJ: :mrgreen:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I've known about post-polio syndrome for more than 25 years because I knew a man who had it.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, and Donovan Leitch all had polio as kids.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I am fortunate in having read an article during the pandemic talking about what polio was like before vaccines were available. It talked in part about post-polio symptoms. My wife, who hadn’t read that article, said “traumatic stress.”
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $45,800
52 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: clearcutting, Chrysler Building (DD), castle cleats, Air Force Academy, Baghdad (DD), flood (DD), USA, Gila River

Boy, was this ever a frustrating game to watch. Jodi's wagers on DD1 & DD2 suggested that she had no serious plans to win the game, much less to unseat a superchamp. Then she missed a big clue in DD1 (on which NYC skyscraper would it be fitting to incorporate a radiator cap?) and forgot the category on DD2 ("Jerusalem" does not contain "AD"). Mari then had a chance to take control, and I think her wager of $3500 on DD3 was fine, but she didn't sniff out that the humankind-destroying disaster in Eridu Genesis was likely to be the same one that occurs in the Judeo-Christian book of Genesis. And then there was Mari's pulled-from-thin-air FJ! wager. I'm glad to see an affable champ like Ryan keep winning, but he was vulnerable here, and his opponents couldn't do anything to capitalize.

Speaking of frustration, I was frustrated with myself for not knowing Fanny Mendelssohn and not being able to remember Hobson's choice.

I wasn't perfectly confident with my FJ! response, but "disease whose (American) survivors are nearly all over 65" seemed to point to polio.

Am I the only one who had no idea what Camaro means? That seemed significantly undervalued.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:43 pm Ryan tried to get to 22600 with his FJ! wager while Mari had a possible 26600. Ryan's wagering strategy is working so far and it will be a big ouch if he leads, get the FJ! clue right and loses because he does not cover 2nd's maximum.
I wouldn't say it worked today. It was a savvy wager for one who is playing against another savvy wagerer, but it left him quite vulnerable against an opponent who is shooting from the hip. Mari fell into the latter category, and Ryan is lucky she jumped to "medical condition named post-[BLANK] disorder" rather than carefully parsing the clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:15 am

Am I the only one who had no idea what Camaro means? That seemed significantly undervalued.
Does it mean anything? The clue says "supposed to suggest" and Google Translate doesn't recognize it.
I think we were supposed to get it from "classic Chevy introduced in 1966." The right response came into my head and fell right out
again...
Found this-
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/0 ... old-friend
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

50R. Good game for me, haven't hit that milestone for a while.

Got the clue about Polio. My parents have a friend that has post-polio syndrome. Didn't get Baghdad. "Southwest of Tehran" pointed me towards Saudi Arabia because I didn't actually know where Tehran was. I didn't guess Riyadh but that would have been my guess with more time.

Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".

I guessed Jane Seymour instead of Catherine of Aragon. Interesting clue. I keyed in on "after Anne Boleyn" and didn't note the divorced-beheaded-died-divorced-beheaded-survived discrepancy with my answer.

Mayim did a great job hosting today. Happy birthday to Ken though.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
brick

Post by brick »

I got Hobson’s choice solely from reading this board.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 am
Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".
You should listen to Google a little more closely - or just look upthread.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I matched Mari for FJ even though about 20 seconds in I realized it didn't really fit with the wording of the clue. I'd never heard of Post-Polio Syndrome.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:43 pm Ryan tried to get to 22600 with his FJ! wager while Mari had a possible 26600. Ryan's wagering strategy is working so far and it will be a big ouch if he leads, get the FJ! clue right and loses because he does not cover 2nd's maximum.
Trying to read Ryan's mind, it looks like he wagered to remain just above Mari's pre-FJ score on a miss, thus forcing her to get it right. With the added bonus that he wins a double-get by him and Mari if she wagers strategically to win on a triple-stumper ($1299). Not a strategy I would use but his mix of cover and non-cover bets has worked out so far for him...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:32 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:15 am

Does it mean anything? The clue says "supposed to suggest" and Google Translate doesn't recognize it.
I think we were supposed to get it from "classic Chevy introduced in 1966." The right response came into my head and fell right out
again...
Found this-
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/0 ... old-friend
"Introduced in 1966" led me away from Camaro because I know the first model year is 1967. I had no answer, but if this was a FJ I would've guessed Nova just to have something, unless having 30 seconds would've made me realize the model year would've come out in 1966.

Life-long F-body fan, one-time F-body owner, and I don't remember ever hearing of it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MtlMike wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:04 pm
Trying to read Ryan's mind, it looks like he wagered to remain just above Mari's pre-FJ score on a miss, thus forcing her to get it right. With the added bonus that he wins a double-get by him and Mari if she wagers strategically to win on a triple-stumper ($1299). Not a strategy I would use but his mix of cover and non-cover bets has worked out so far for him...
If Mari bet $9,299 (locks out third), he wins by a dollar on a double get.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:04 pm
MtlMike wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:04 pm
If Mari bet $9,299 (locks out third), he wins by a dollar on a double get.
Ooh, interesting. I noticed the "don't fall below Mari" nature of his wager, but not the Shoretegic nature. With $50 less, he would have been exactly between Mari's $13,300 and the $22,600 she could have achieved by offering Jodi a tie. (The math works as such: Ryan could wager the way he did without risking falling behind a $0-wagering Mari because his score was more than her score times 1.5 minus Jodi's, i.e. (1.5 * 13300) - 2000 = 19950 - 2000 = 17950 < 18000.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 am I guessed Jane Seymour instead of Catherine of Aragon. Interesting clue. I keyed in on "after Anne Boleyn" and didn't note the divorced-beheaded-died-divorced-beheaded-survived discrepancy with my answer.
It wasn't "after Anne Boleyn", it was "after he married Anne Boleyn".
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 pm
Leah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Glad he has been able to lead a normal life.

Amazing I think of polio as a relic of a bygone era and here two people in this thread have had someone close to them suffer from it.
Very glad Leah's husband was able to lead a productive life. I didn't have any family members affected, but I had several early childhood classmates contract it, one of whom spent several weeks in an "iron lung." It was always back-of-mind for parents and school staff when I was in kindergarten and first grade. I have very clear memories of being dragged by my mother stand in a two-hour around-the-block-line when vaccines became available in my neighborhood. Wound up getting both the Salk and the Sabin doses. The sugar cube was much gentler than the shot. I don't remember whether both were recommended or it was overkill on my mother's part. But she was one of MANY parents terrified of polio.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.