Monday, May 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, May 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 am Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".
The first new car I ever bought was a 1970 Camaro. The only options were an AM-only radio and a 302 V-8. A 3-speed stick was standard. It was sporty-looking, but it definitely wasn't a muscle car. About $2800 off the showroom floor; just about my annual income. Never knew until this game that the word actually meant something instead of just being a coined neologism.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

triviawayne wrote:
davey wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Am I the only one who had no idea what Camaro means? That seemed significantly undervalued.
Does it mean anything? The clue says "supposed to suggest" and Google Translate doesn't recognize it.
I think we were supposed to get it from "classic Chevy introduced in 1966." The right response came into my head and fell right out
again...
Found this-
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/0 ... old-friend
"Introduced in 1966" led me away from Camaro because I know the first model year is 1967. I had no answer, but if this was a FJ I would've guessed Nova just to have something, unless having 30 seconds would've made me realize the model year would've come out in 1966.

Life-long F-body fan, one-time F-body owner, and I don't remember ever hearing of it.
The year threw me for a loop also. I almost said Caprice but quickly remembered that came out in 1965.
I think the clue was over complicated by the early date production detail, and should not have been a regular clue. It might have even tripped me up on a DD, and I'm a classic car guru. It would have been an excellent FJ clue though.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

AFRET CMS wrote:
MattKnowles wrote: Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".
The first new car I ever bought was a 1970 Camaro. The only options were an AM-only radio and a 302 V-8. A 3-speed stick was standard. It was sporty-looking, but it definitely wasn't a muscle car. About $2800 off the showroom floor; just about my annual income. Never knew until this game that the word actually meant something instead of just being a coined neologism.
I think you mean 307. That wasn't considered a hot engine back then, but it could get out of it's own way, before the compression was reduced for the 1971 and later model years. You got one of the last good ones.

A 307 3-speed Camaro would be a neat car to own nowadays. For me, I'd even prefer it over an LS1 Z-28, as long as I could get it in the right color (Placer Gold or Forest Green).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember getting the drops in my mouth for the polio vaccine. Tasted terrible.

I had a substitute teacher in high school once (early 1980s) that came in on crutches and said he has polio as a child. I think he was in his 30s at the time so probably just missed the vaccine.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Category 13 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:08 am
triviawayne wrote:
davey wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Am I the only one who had no idea what Camaro means? That seemed significantly undervalued.
Does it mean anything? The clue says "supposed to suggest" and Google Translate doesn't recognize it.
I think we were supposed to get it from "classic Chevy introduced in 1966." The right response came into my head and fell right out
again...
Found this-
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/0 ... old-friend
"Introduced in 1966" led me away from Camaro because I know the first model year is 1967. I had no answer, but if this was a FJ I would've guessed Nova just to have something, unless having 30 seconds would've made me realize the model year would've come out in 1966.

Life-long F-body fan, one-time F-body owner, and I don't remember ever hearing of it.
The year threw me for a loop also. I almost said Caprice but quickly remembered that came out in 1965.
I think the clue was over complicated by the early date production detail, and should not have been a regular clue. It might have even tripped me up on a DD, and I'm a classic car guru. It would have been an excellent FJ clue though.
Even for FJ, I think "introduced for the 1967 model year" is far better wording as a model year is always referred to when talking about a car.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Category 13 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:27 am
AFRET CMS wrote:
MattKnowles wrote: Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".
I think you mean 307. That wasn't considered a hot engine back then, but it could get out of it's own way, before the compression was reduced for the 1971 and later model years. You got one of the last good ones.

A 307 3-speed Camaro would be a neat car to own nowadays. For me, I'd even prefer it over an LS1 Z-28, as long as I could get it in the right color (Placer Gold or Forest Green).
I know my 1976 Trans Am was slow from the factory because of all the smog stuff (155hp I think?); but with the 1970 GTO motor in mine...what a great car!

As much as I loved that car, as much fun as it would be to own now, I have to say:

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:15 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 am Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".
It's been noted in this thread - with a linked story - that it is the latter. Some headlines in a Google search will make one think otherwise, but you have to look at the results, not just the results list...
brick

Post by brick »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 am 50R. Good game for me, haven't hit that milestone for a while.

Got the clue about Polio. My parents have a friend that has post-polio syndrome. Didn't get Baghdad. "Southwest of Tehran" pointed me towards Saudi Arabia because I didn't actually know where Tehran was. I didn't guess Riyadh but that would have been my guess with more time.

Didn't know what Camaro meant but Google tells me it means "Comrade".

I guessed Jane Seymour instead of Catherine of Aragon. Interesting clue. I keyed in on "after Anne Boleyn" and didn't note the divorced-beheaded-died-divorced-beheaded-survived discrepancy with my answer.

Mayim did a great job hosting today. Happy birthday to Ken though.
My takeaway from a recent review of Henry 5’s wives is that if they have “of” in the middle of their name they had the kind of status that earned then the courtesy of a divorce rather than an execution. That helps me keep the marital resolution connected to the correct names.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Y'all are way overcomplicating the Camaro clue. They're looking for a Chevy model whose name suggests camaraderie. Look at the word. That's all there is to it.
davey

Post by davey »

Oddly enough, this clue would also work as-
The name of this classic sitcom introduced in 1965 was supposed to suggest a camaraderie between a car & its owner
Spoiler
My Mother the Car... ;)
Maybe somebody would have got that one??
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:00 pm Oddly enough, this clue would also work as-
The name of this classic sitcom introduced in 1965 was supposed to suggest a camaraderie between a car & its owner
Spoiler
My Mother the Car... ;)
Maybe somebody would have got that one??
got it right away, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

A Wray wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 am Y'all are way overcomplicating the Camaro clue. They're looking for a Chevy model whose name suggests camaraderie. Look at the word. That's all there is to it.
We're not over-complicating it, we do see what your are saying after the fact; what we've been talking about is having never heard of it, and how along with other poor writing choices being made this year, the clue gave a year which while not incorrect, threw those of us with car knowledge off the scent.
brick

Post by brick »

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Category 13 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:27 am
AFRET CMS wrote:

You're right about the engine, thanks. I think the 302 was a Ford engine. Mine was tan (not gold) with a white vinyl interior.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

triviawayne wrote:Even for FJ, I think "introduced for the 1967 model year" is far better wording as a model year is always referred to when talking about a car.
I fully agree with that.