Tuesday, May 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE MIDDLE AGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was the surname of the 2 Scottish brothers who claimed monarchies of 2 different countries in the 13-teens

Ryan Long: 15200-0=15200 (8x = $160,401)
Eric Pérez: 5800+5798=11598
Bonnie Kistler: 7600-7600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bruce (Ryan – Stuart) (Bonnie – Stuart)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 5600-2000
Bonnie: 3200+1200
Ryan: 12400-2000

Coryats
Ryan: 19200
Eric: 5800
Bonnie: 7600

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 3600
Eric: 2200
Bonnie: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Schoolhouse Rock gets credit for the $2K in the YES, YES, YES category.

Not the best day for the CC with "Elba" not beginning & ending with the same vowel and Chang is not the correct last name for the Olympian.

The Super Bowl has now been long enough in the past that I blanked on the Ram's name with the picture leaving no doubt who it was. :oops:

By now after all these thousands of shows I should be able to read and process a FJ! clue. Nope, I immediately wrote the right name, but somehow I thought the clue wanted two names. Unable to think of a suitable match I looked for a connecting duo and switched to (I should know better) fictional Macbeth & Macduff.

Enjoy the laugh and I'll try to read better tomorrow.

Eric was a little shy of having enough to make his sole solve count. No tiebreaker clue today and Bonnie did recognize the opportunity without Mayim spelling it out after the close of the DJ! round.

It's champ's choice to bet $0 or $1. Ryan was better on the buzzer and possibly left the game up to his trigger finger. The outcome spares the potential online spilled ink of Ryan losing 15199 to 15200 if the results and wagers went a different way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm Schoolhouse Rock gets credit for the $2K in the YES, YES, YES category.

Not the best day for the CC with "Elba" not beginning & ending with the same vowel and Chang is not the correct last name for the Olympian.

The Super Bowl has now been long enough in the past that I blanked on the Ram's name with the picture leaving no doubt who it was. :oops:

By now after all these thousands of shows I should be able to read and process a FJ! clue. Nope, I immediately wrote the right name, but somehow I thought the clue wanted two names. Unable to think of a suitable match I looked for a connecting duo and switched to (I should know better) fictional Macbeth & Macduff.

Enjoy the laugh and I'll try to read better tomorrow.

Eric was a little shy of having enough to make his sole solve count. No tiebreaker clue today and Bonnie did recognize the opportunity without Mayim spelling it out after the close of the DJ! round.

It's champ's choice to bet $0 or $1. Ryan was better on the buzzer and possibly left the game up to his trigger finger. The outcome spares the potential online spilled ink of Ryan losing 15199 to 15200 if the results and wagers went a different way.
I've always remembered it as Elbe.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm Schoolhouse Rock gets credit for the $2K in the YES, YES, YES category.
got those adverbs, too. ;)
CyrusChan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm Not the best day for the CC with "Elba" not beginning & ending with the same vowel and Chang is not the correct last name for the Olympian.

I've always remembered it as Elbe.
From what I recall, Ryan wasn't much of a history buff, so he may have opted to get a better draw for the tiebreak. :|
That's Mark's point. It is the Elbe but closed captioning got it wrong.

25/2, 18/3. Definite jump in difficulty.
trash: joint (heh), Elbe. more trash: Carroll, fight, NW territory. 8-)
:D :D :( :mrgreen: on betting clues. Did not get chryso- = gold.
FJ was easy peasy and I would go for the win, history being a strength. :geek:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm
Not the best day for the CC with "Elba" not beginning & ending with the same vowel
Surprising; he seemed pretty able up till then.
and Chang is not the correct last name for the Olympian.

Too bad; that was my own WAG playing from the archive.

I visited Bruno Hauptmann's home recently (well, "walked by", really. It didn't look very inviting):
Attachments
brh.jpg
brh.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Could not get St. Louis Cardinals or Shepard Smith.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm The Super Bowl has now been long enough in the past that I blanked on the Ram's name with the picture leaving no doubt who it was. :oops:
I've never heard of the guy. Didn't pay attention tot he most recent Super Bowl at all. But the clue said "runneth over" so I said "Who is Cup?" It's an allusion to a 1967 song by Ed Ames. Come on, people. Have some culture.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bonnie put Ryan into a runaway with her WAG of Jake Tapper. Then Ryan rallied and Bonnie got to exactly 50 percent. In the end it didn't matter because she didn't know final. Ryan offer to tiebreaker.

That's two days in a row that a clue about Gerald Ford was missed.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Today as I watched the contestants go through Xs, THEN Os, then switch to WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE and RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES, I finally said "Come on, people! The Daily Double is going to be in WARTIME U.S. PRESIDENTS and it will be the $1600 clue". (ASIAN AMERICANS & PACIFIC ISLANDERS was also possible, but not quite as likely I thought.) Missed it by one row. It was the $1200 clue, the 27th one uncovered.

Emboldened by this near miss, I paused to study the categories at the beginning of DJ. I especially liked two categories for the DDs: NEWS PERSONALITIES PAST & PRESENT and U.S. GEOGRAPHIC HISTORY. But they were right next to each other and I felt it was less likely to have both DDs in adjacent categories. Am I right about this? In any event, the categories also seemed somewhat similar, and that seemed a more legitimate reason to believe they wouldn't both have a DD. So I settled on this for my predicted DD spots:

$1600 LITERATURE
$1200 U.S. GEOGRAPHIC HISTORY

Clue 11 revealed that in fact it was the $1200 LITERATURE clue that hid a DD. Off by a row again. At that point I switched my prediction for DD3 to $1600 U.S. GEOGRAPHIC HISTORY. I was right.

So I predicted the correct category in all three cases, and was initially off by a row for all three, flipping the correct values for DD2 and DD3.

If I were still trying to get on the show, I think I'd make this a daily discipline and keep track of my results to hone my DD hunting instinct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm The Super Bowl has now been long enough in the past that I blanked on the Ram's name with the picture leaving no doubt who it was. :oops:
I've never heard of the guy. Didn't pay attention tot he most recent Super Bowl at all. But the clue said "runneth over" so I said "Who is Cup?" It's an allusion to a 1967 song by Ed Ames. Come on, people. Have some culture.
It was only when I archived the game that I noticed the "runneth over" hint. When playing for realsies it was picture only for keying on while barely paying any attention to the CC or what Mayim read.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ by fighting the urge to switch to Stuart.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Indubitably.jpg
Indubitably.jpg (227.96 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Indubitably!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Indubitably Doesn't Remind me of Schoolhouse Rock. It always reminds me of Frank Nelson On The Jack Benny show.
"Your train has been delayed in Definitely. "
"Indefinitely?"
"Definitely is just west of Cucamonga. "
"Do we have to change trains?"
"In Dubitably."
"Indubitably?"
"Dubitably is 10 miles east of Definitely."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 pm I got FJ by fighting the urge to switch to Stuart.
I was the opposite, not grabbing the impulse to go from Stuart to Bruce. A few more seconds I would have done it... :roll: I realized I didn't know the first name from the Middle Ages, and the 2d is one of few I do know from then. Problem is, I don't know much about Scottish monarchical history, even about "surnames." I would have guessed that Bruce was an honorific not a surname - why is it always Robert "the" Bruce, anyway?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Given Ryan's history of not always covering second place in FJ, I was expecting a $0 wager from him. If Bonnie had made the game a little closer, I don't doubt that Ryan's tendency would have saved him the game against Eric's sole get.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,400
47 R/3 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: joint committee, Elbe River, Cooper Kupp, Nathan Chen, 54-40 or Fight!, Dana Perino, Shepard Smith

Let's say you're playing against a superchamp. Guy's won seven games. You end up tied with him at the end of the J! round, but only because he missed a late DD. So far in DJ!, he has gotten six clues to your two, outscoring you $5200 to minus $400. And then it happens. In what is clearly your favorite category, you hit the DD. You're far enough back that you can't catch the champ, but you can get a lot closer.

So, naturally, you wager $1200.

What. The. Heck.
My wife and I used to work with a guy whose last name was Cuprzinski. He constantly dealt with people either mispronouncing or asking the pronunciation of his name, particularly the first syllable. As I pointed out to my wife last season, a certain wide receiver's name seems tailor-made to torment our old colleague: /KOOP/ or /KUPP/?
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 pm If I were still trying to get on the show, I think I'd make this a daily discipline and keep track of my results to hone my DD hunting instinct.
This is very good advice. As someone who dove back into the pool this afternoon, I'm going to integrate it into my daily practice regimen.
Sprinkles are for winners.