Wednesday, May 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Anachronism »

I'll take television shows the mass media critics say everyone should watch, but only a tiny percentage of the audience has ever heard of for $400, please... crickets... call me catatonic.

At least it was shorter and less painful than the five-minute commercial for the music awards show even less people will watch.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Pretty helpful to know the order of the English "kings' and US presidents
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 pm Mayim just had to give the full name for the detective agency. :roll:
There seemed to be an edit there. I suspect Mayim needed a little ruling assistance when Ryan identified the agency as "the Pinkertons". So she's trying to bounce back from that and get a rhythm going again, plus she wants to clarify who "the Pinkertons" technically are.
Yes, evidently she wasn't sure she should accept "the Pinkertons" and someone had to tell her "Of course we should!"
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

This FJ, like I'm sure many or even most of you guys did, I had while Mayim was reading... Watching the reveal, I was like: "If this ain't a triple get, I'll eat my ha.... Errrr, pass the salt!"
davey

Post by davey »

Anachronism wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:47 pm I'll take television shows the mass media critics say everyone should watch, but only a tiny percentage of the audience has ever heard of for $400, please...
More to the point, probably, TV shows the J! Writers like and think other smart people do too.
Possible exception: Ghosts, which has been enormously popular for a network sitcom these days. Its appearance on J! was inevitable. I got it mostly because of "not-so-late" in the clue. Then I cancelled that out by uttering "Killing..." I watched it, and it just ended a few weeks ago, but i blanked...My excuse: The quality and memorability of the show diminished in later seasons.
davey

Post by davey »

Giving the date of the FJ speech simplified an already easy clue like an open-book exam... :roll:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

That DJ round was pretty bad for me. I was 26R for J and then 10R for DJ. Good opportunity to learn new things.

Said Norway instead of Denmark. I keep getting those two mixed up.

FJ was no problem.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 pm Mayim just had to give the full name for the detective agency. :roll:
There seemed to be an edit there. I suspect Mayim needed a little ruling assistance when Ryan identified the agency as "the Pinkertons". So she's trying to bounce back from that and get a rhythm going again, plus she wants to clarify who "the Pinkertons" technically are.
Yes, evidently she wasn't sure she should accept "the Pinkertons" and someone had to tell her "Of course we should!"
I think it's a closer call than you seem to, but I agree that was the right way to go. If I'd been the host, I'd definitely have looked over at the judges while accepting the response. I wouldn't have to do that before rejecting "What is Revelations" for a Bible book category.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The poor horse has some life left since it's still game day.

J29: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2932
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:16 pm
I think it's a closer call than you seem to, but I agree that was the right way to go. If I'd been the host, I'd definitely have looked over at the judges while accepting the response. I wouldn't have to do that before rejecting "What is Revelations" for a Bible book category.
I didn't notice the edit, but did notice the extraneous information and I am still fine with that. If someone answers "Washington" for the father of our country, she can bms it to George vs. Booker T, vs all the MG's as far as I'm concerned. Since she got skewered (ex post facto) for accepting "The Grinch", the staff must have her on high alert when the response doesn't match her cheat sheet.
In spite of this potential hiccup, I think Mayim is doing much better. I'm all the way up to indifferent about who hosts at this point. She's not up to Ken's interview skill standard - I think once the gameplay gets stabilized she may be able to fake enjoyment of the interviews.

Our newscast tonight showed a clip with Roosevelt's speech while discussing the interment of an Oklahoma sailor recently ID'd and brought back. It took me longer to make sense of "world history" in the sentence than to decide on the answer.

Kris does have some pipes. I've never noticed Ryan taking such obvious guesses. I think he didn't bring his A game tonight. I've heard of Mad Men and Veep, didn't get them.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
Robert K S wrote: Today's FJ!, a well-known nugget that probably at some point was a DD or lower-value clue
Never heard of his edit, but this was solved before she finished reading the answer.
X2. Day of Infamy speech is a WECIB.

Ryan lucks out again with the lock falling on the last DJ clue.
MarkBarrett wrote:That was a convenient end for the DJ! round with Ryan having the lock and the board not cleared. If Kris had a slightly better fate to avoid the lock then I wonder if his all-in plus solve could have caught Ryan in wagering strategy?
After all Ryan's wins on risky non-lock wagering, I'm predicting he will eventualy lose to someone who soundly locks him out. Which will be very unsatisfying to me. Even so, it has been refreshing to see him take the chances he does. Now if he would only get away from the even thousands/hundreds habit. He just couldn't bet that extra $99.

As for Kris, he seemed to have made his own fate, with the piss timid DD wagers in DJ. Granted he got them both wrong, I say he conseded the match with that action.
Harley R
Contributor

Post by Harley R »

A DJ category was "My name is Stephen."
This bothered me a little bit because of a tragic story that developed in Northern California in 1980 that was characterized by the phrase: "My name is Steven" or sometimes "I know my name is Steven."
Did anyone else think of Steven Stayner at the reading of the category?
Have there been categories in the past such as "My name is John" or "My name is Michael?"
Maybe it is a local thing and I am too sensitive.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Harley R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 pm Have there been categories in the past such as "My name is John" or "My name is Michael?"
https://j-archive.com/listcategories.php

They've done a few others. Alex, Alfred, Barbara, George, and Percy for example.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Harley R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 pm A DJ category was "My name is Stephen."
This bothered me a little bit because of a tragic story that developed in Northern California in 1980 that was characterized by the phrase: "My name is Steven" or sometimes "I know my name is Steven."
Have there been categories in the past such as "My name is John" or "My name is Michael?"
It certainly was the first thing that popped into my mind. I'm too young to have heard contemporaneous news accounts, but I do remember the 1989 NBC miniseries "I Know My First Name Is Steven."
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Harley R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 pm A DJ category was "My name is Stephen."
That's definitely a story that can sensitize you. Wow. (Side note: How does a guy who does something like that get 7 years and parole after 5? Is that considered "justice"--i.e. a roughly proportional response to the crime? Is that how long they imagine it takes to rehabilitate someone who would do something like that? No matter what penological angle I look at it from, I can't make sense out of that sentence.) But yeah, I doubt the writers were even aware of that title. And if they were, it didn't stand out to them the way it did to you. I vaguely recall reading about the case, long after the fact, but the phrase doesn't ring a bell.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm not sure they should have.

This company brought us the Edsel, the Mustang, and the Taurus.
Who are the Fords?

Saran Wrap, Ziploc bags, and Scrubbing Bubbles were developed by this Midland, Michigan-based company.
Who are the Dows?

In 1956, this Rochester, Minnesota hospital created the world's first ICU.
Who are the Mayos?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:06 pm
I'm not sure they should have.

This company brought us the Edsel, the Mustang, and the Taurus.
Who are the Fords?

Saran Wrap, Ziploc bags, and Scrubbing Bubbles were developed by this Midland, Michigan-based company.
Who are the Dows?

In 1956, this Rochester, Minnesota hospital created the world's first ICU.
Who are the Mayos?
There are plenty of examples of the agency being informally referred to as The Pinkertons, not least of which being a Canadian TV series by that name.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:11 pm There are plenty of examples of the agency being informally referred to as The Pinkertons, not least of which being a Canadian TV series by that name.
Yeah, it's easy to confirm that much. But even the fact of those examples doesn't quite settle the issue. There are plenty of examples of the last book of the Bible being referred to as "Revelations" and a certain restaurant being referred to as "Paneras" (or possibly "Panera's"). But in those cases, we say they are "mistakenly" rather than "informally" referred to as such and the contestant gets the zonk. It takes a little bit of due diligence to decide that "the Pinkertons" is not the same sort of thing. That wasn't something I knew off the top of my head and I don't fault Mayim if she needed a little assistance there. Nor do I fault the judges if they're the ones who called the time-out so they could do a quick check. Nor do I fault the writers for failing to put an "also accept" on Mayim's card.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Title trivia is sometimes obnoxious. At its worst with song titles and connecting words. We can argue that it has to be that way, just like the Revelations/Revelation question. I'd rather just avoid trivia that leads to those debates. That said, I don't think anything is wrong with accepting "The Pinkertons" as a response here.

The odd pauses with Mayim's "correct" are still troubling. Otherwise, I'd say I'm used to her and would like to see her continue in this role.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I took “the Pinkertons” as a name for people who worked for the Pinkerton Agency.