Wednesday, May 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:06 pm
davey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 pm Mayim just had to give the full name for the detective agency. :roll:
There seemed to be an edit there. I suspect Mayim needed a little ruling assistance when Ryan identified the agency as "the Pinkertons". So she's trying to bounce back from that and get a rhythm going again, plus she wants to clarify who "the Pinkertons" technically are.
Yes, evidently she wasn't sure she should accept "the Pinkertons" and someone had to tell her "Of course we should!"
I'm not sure they should have.

This company brought us the Edsel, the Mustang, and the Taurus.
Who are the Fords?

Saran Wrap, Ziploc bags, and Scrubbing Bubbles were developed by this Midland, Michigan-based company.
Who are the Dows?

In 1956, this Rochester, Minnesota hospital created the world's first ICU.
Who are the Mayos?
The first two could possibly be ruled correct; doubtful on your third example. Your third example specifies a hospital, and "the Mayos" are not a hospital. However, the meaning of "company" is not restricted to "a corporate entity," it can also mean "a group of people." The Fords and the Dows are certainly that.

And one could even stretch to include "the Mayos," since there are well over a dozen hospitals in the Mayo system. I don't know how many there were in 1956.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 pm Mayim just had to give the full name for the detective agency. :roll:
There seemed to be an edit there. I suspect Mayim needed a little ruling assistance when Ryan identified the agency as "the Pinkertons". So she's trying to bounce back from that and get a rhythm going again, plus she wants to clarify who "the Pinkertons" technically are.
Yes, evidently she wasn't sure she should accept "the Pinkertons" and someone had to tell her "Of course we should!"

Who are the Fords?

Saran Wrap, Ziploc bags, and Scrubbing Bubbles were developed by this Midland, Michigan-based company.
Who are the Dows?

Who are the Mayos?
The first two could possibly be ruled correct; doubtful on your third example. Your third example specifies a hospital, and "the Mayos" are not a hospital. However, the meaning of "company" is not restricted to "a corporate entity," it can also mean "a group of people." The Fords and the Dows are certainly that.

And one could even stretch to include "the Mayos," since there are well over a dozen hospitals in the Mayo system. I don't know how many there were in 1956.
Far more important is that nobody refers to these companies (or the hospital) this way, while people have talked about "the Pinkertons" for more than a century and a half. All the more remarkable because (as far as I've found) Albert Pinkerton was the only man of that name involved with the company.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

davey wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:13 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Who are the Fords?

Who are the Dows?

Who are the Mayos?

Far more important is that nobody refers to these companies (or the hospital) this way, while people have talked about "the Pinkertons" for more than a century and a half. All the more remarkable because (as far as I've found) Albert Pinkerton was the only man of that name involved with the company.
I agree. I honestly think I knew of them as Pinkertons for a long time before I heard the full name.