Fourth Podium Poll for Thursday, May 26, 2022

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these clues did you get?

SJ2 $600 THE SILENT CONSONANT IN...: A word from the Greek for "a song in praise of God" like "Amazing Grace" (Ryan: What is a psalm?)
58%
SJ20 $800 THE UNITED NATIONS: In 2017 Antonio Guterres of Portugal became the 9th person to occupy this post, chief administrative officer of the U.N.
89%
SJ25 $1000 LET'S COUNTY UP THAT STATE: Itawamba, Yazoo & Yalobusha, but not Yoknapatawpha (Ryan: Uh, what is Washington?) (John: What is Michigan?)
70%
SJ27 $1000 AVIATORS: To bank & turn, the Wright Brothers twisted their planes' wings; Frenchman Henri Farman pioneered these wing flaps
58%
SJ29 $600 LET'S COUNTY UP THAT STATE: You can go from Ottawa to Miami, then settle down in Leavenworth (Ryan: What is Florida?)
86%
DJ15 $2000 BIG ANIMALS: In 2021 scientists identified a new species of this based on a 16-foot female that had been washed ashore (Ryan: What is a squid?)
32%
DJ19 $1200 ALLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR: In 1909 this French jeweler opened a store on Fifth Ave. in New York City & briefly became owner of the Hope Diamond (John: Who is Tiffany?)
53%
DJ20 $1600 ENDS IN "ETTE": It's a set of all the needed clothes & accessories for a newborn infant
51%
DJ23 $2000 ALLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR: From the name of a Greek city home to fabulously wealthy inhabitants, this adjective means devoted to luxury
21%
DJ25 $2000 HISTORIA ESPAÑOLA: Yas, queen! Isabella I's rule of Castile began in 1474 & in this region 5 years later
61%
DJ27 $1600 HISTORIA ESPAÑOLA: Almost 500 years of the Spanish empire ended in 1975 with withdrawal from the not so far off area called Spanish, now Western, this
54%
DJ28 $800 HISTORIA ESPAÑOLA: The second statute of autonomy was approved in 1979 for the "country" of this people in a region of northern Spain (Tory: What is Catalan?)
68%
FJ HISTORIC GEOGRAPHY: A 1946 speech declared the terminuses of the Iron Curtain to be port cities serving these 2 seas
33%

Total votes: 57

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for Thursday, May 26, 2022

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

Missed only the Michigan counties, but would have clammed so no deduction.

$15,200 before a correct FJ.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Hmmm ... something's wrong. I know I voted, but my votes are gone. I hope that hasn't happened to other people.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:21 am Hmmm ... something's wrong. I know I voted, but my votes are gone. I hope that hasn't happened to other people.
Weird. So the boxes you checked are no longer checked? I think when that happened to me it was because I didn't click "Submit vote". I checked the boxes, then I clicked Post Reply so I could talk about it. That whisked me away to a Reply window and I didn't realize until later that I'd never turned in my ballot.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:50 am
alietr wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:21 am Hmmm ... something's wrong. I know I voted, but my votes are gone. I hope that hasn't happened to other people.
Weird. So the boxes you checked are no longer checked? I think when that happened to me it was because I didn't click "Submit vote". I checked the boxes, then I clicked Post Reply so I could talk about it. That whisked me away to a Reply window and I didn't realize until later that I'd never turned in my ballot.
It's possible that's what I did. I remember when I made my original post going up and seeing which boxes I checked, but it's possible I never hit 'submit'.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:50 am
It's possible that's what I did. I remember when I made my original post going up and seeing which boxes I checked, but it's possible I never hit 'submit'.
I've gotten into the habit of, at the top of these sorts of poll posts, to right click the reply button at the top and open in a new window

Then I check the boxes in the original window, put the emoji map in the new window, submit in the original, finish replying and submit in the new window (then close the new window)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

$5200 going into FJ. That forces Ryan to wager something. And with just barely over half of his total, going all in is reasonable.

Then, due to a slightly lucky guess, I got FJ for the win.

I'm trying to work on bodies of water, and can never keep the two sides of Italy straight (other than the generic Med, of course). Was certain of the Northern end of the line, and got the coin flip on the south.
--Peter