Friday, May 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, May 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I didn't hear "variegated" from Srimal for that "V"OCABULARY clue with the yarn picture; it sounded more like "variated" to me. The best I can offer is that she said something like "very gated," which I think would be an acceptable mispronunciation, but I didn't hear a consonant between the second and third syllables.

The first name to pop into my mind for FJ was Eli Manning. But I knew he had brothers and I wanted to make sure I had the right one. I thought of Cooper, no, not it. I thought of [Chelsea's deadname], no, not related, not an athlete and she's Chelsea now. Aha, Peyton, it's him, not Eli.

It figures that Ryan, for all his cautious underwagering from the lead, threw it to the wind from second place. And then my reflexive recommended wager (cover Srimal) would have ended up losing him the game.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:01 pm I didn't hear "variegated" from Srimal for that "V"OCABULARY clue with the yarn picture; it sounded more like "variated" to me. The best I can offer is that she said something like "very gated," which I think would be an acceptable mispronunciation, but I didn't hear a consonant between the second and third syllables.
This, exactly. I was shocked that there wasn’t a reversal.

It figures that Ryan, for all his cautious underwagering from the lead, threw it to the wind from second place. And then my reflexive recommended wager (cover Srimal) would have ended up losing him the game.
My wife precalled the all-in from second. Instaget of an FJ for us both. After 32 years in Indiana, I’d hope we’d get it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:01 pm I didn't hear "variegated" from Srimal for that "V"OCABULARY clue with the yarn picture; it sounded more like "variated" to me. The best I can offer is that she said something like "very gated," which I think would be an acceptable mispronunciation, but I didn't hear a consonant between the second and third syllables.
It struck me the same way on first hearing. But if the judges rewound to check, I think they decided they had to give it to her because you can hear it both ways.

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,400
49 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hermitage, balkanize, baking, Hesperus, Donna Summer, vitreous

Wow. Ryan had a really off game, and I thought for sure he was caught dead to rights on what I consider a very easy FJ! (although the early returns here suggest it didn't play quite that easy). Aaron is apparently not a sports/pop culture guy, though, so Ryan's survival ended up in his own hands. Survive and advance.

Srimal had rung in on five clues and gotten four responses right when she hit DD2. Wagering only $1000 there seems...less than optimal.

Ryan's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" for the Longfellow work was funny, but obviously that title was more likely to come up in the Sexy '70s Lyrics category. :lol:

FTR, the Edmund Fitzgerald wrecked in 1975, long after that fellow was gone from the Earth.

Speaking of that category, I didn't even recognize the song, but "Disco Queen" + sex = Donna Summer 100% of the time.

Speaking again of that category, "The Reverend" + the actual title "Let's Stay Together" belongs much nearer the top row than the bottom.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:46 pm Ryan played no DDs and got outbuzzed by Aaron. If Aaron had bet the farm on DD3 then that is 26000 for the FJ! round against Ryan's 13000. Only Aaron knows if would have bet $1 in that scenario or gone for the tiebreaker.
Given that Aaron wagered $0 when the tiebreaker wasn't an issue, I think we can be pretty confident about what he would have done if it had been.
Sprinkles are for winners.
RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RetiredDoc »

For FJ, knew it was a Manning and picked the right one. I would think the contestants were told first and last name needed.

I am enjoying Ryan’s run very much.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:58 pm
It struck me the same way on first hearing. But if the judges rewound to check, I think they decided they had to give it to her because you can hear it both ways.
Thanks for the clip. Like others, I didn't hear the g sound on my TV, and I definitely hear it on this clip. Nothing to see hear.

Like Mattea, Ryan is eking out win after win. I think his play has dropped off a bit - maybe he's lost his internal swagger. I assumed tonight's game was his last when he was in second with an easy FJ. I can get that Aaron isn't a sports fan, but the Omaha schtick transcends the sports world. Aaron was a good player and just hit his kryptonite in FJ.

I didn't realize Peyton has been out of the game 5 years to get into the HOF. I pay no attention to the actual inductions. My father used to get pissed when Peyton ran up and down the line changing the play. I reminded him that he used to complain because quarterbacks don't call their own plays anymore (or fold their helmet up and put it in their pocket, lol..), and he cut him some slack after that.

The Foghorn Leghorn clue was a hoot. Leghorns are egg machines - it's not unusual for them to lay 300 eggs in a year(4 per week is good for other breeds). They lay white eggs - and I think are the main commercial breed for layers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Missed the skid row DD and FJ. I tried to think of an athlete associated with Nebraska and couldn't come up with anything.

The number of Ryan's attempted buzzes is very consistent. I'm surprised he is winning so many games but feel happy for him.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:24 am The Foghorn Leghorn clue was a hoot. Leghorns are egg machines - it's not unusual for them to lay 300 eggs in a year(4 per week ~200 per year is good for other breeds). They lay white eggs - and I think are the main commercial breed for layers.
(Couldn't help myself. Sorry)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

DBear wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:36 pm Being a Denverite, I had to get this one. :mrgreen: 8-)
Were that my FJ, I'd have put his full name supplemented with (43-8).
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I just wanted to cover third place I’d definitely tack on another $800. I’d go with $5,999 here. It forces third to get it right to beat me and I’m still above Aaron’s MSBIW.

I was in Canton last July and went through the HOF. They had a display for the upcoming inductees that included Peyton.

Telling them to include a first name would be a big hint. Notice Srimal just put Woods. But I definitely would have at least put down a P to be on the safe side.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Manning and Tiger Woods have played golf together in charity tournaments and at one time Manning used "Tiger" as one of his audible calls. Srimal missed by only one degree of separation. :)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Friday, May 27, 2022 FJ wagers (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Woof wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
My wife precalled the all-in from second.
Bamaman wrote:If I just wanted to cover third place I’d definitely tack on another $800. I’d go with $5,999 here. It forces third to get it right to beat me and I’m still above Aaron’s MSBIW.
I fined tuned it to have Ryan falling back to 10401 (a 2599 wager), in the case Srimal has enough wagering sense to stay above Aaron on a double miss (3400-3399 for her bet). She would increase to 10400 on a get, so Ryan doesn't want to fall back any further than that. It would have conveniently covered Aaron's Zero wager and her doubling up, or if she went for the nice tidy 10000.
Strange that she limited herself to 9000 but her wager was still the closest to being logical of the three.

Considering Ryan's fondness for round number wagreing, I predicted he would probably just wager 2000. That would still acomplish the same goals as I listed.
Perhaps he has decided that he has now earned enough beyond his expectations, and is going to go for the maximum reward whenever he is not in control of his own destiny.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:43 pm It's interesting to note that now that Ryan Long has qualified as a "superchampion" with 11 wins or more, that he has managed that feat with an average of only $19,027 per game. All of the 13 other superchampions averaged $20,000 or more, ranging from James Holtzhauer's $76,944 down to Julia Collins' $21,405.

To be able to maintain such a long streak while winning so little suggests especailly good luck in facing sub-par opposition, and perhaps that's part of it, but Ryan is no slouch, and he has impressed me with his knowledge, so I don't know. What do others think??
He's good. No doubt about that. But you're also right in that he has not faced top-tier competition, and you don't need the stats you kindly provided above to know that.

Tonight his opponent was good for a change, and I thought for sure Ryan was done. That FJ miss was a shocker to me. Guess the guy never watches the NFL.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:58 pm
Spoiler
Yes, It appeared there was a cut immediately after, so I trust the judges.
I considered only basketball players for FJ, since it seems they have the most successful entertainment crossovers. Omaha meant nothing, since I didn't think Warren Buffett had ever been an athlete... ;) I have barely listened to what Peyton Manning has to say off the field, let alone on it during a game...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:36 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:24 am The Foghorn Leghorn clue was a hoot. Leghorns are egg machines - it's not unusual for them to lay 300 eggs in a year(4 per week ~200 per year is good for other breeds). They lay white eggs - and I think are the main commercial breed for layers.
(Couldn't help myself. Sorry)
8-) It's generous of you to give those lazy chickens two weeks of vacation every year. :lol:
I understand the OCD with mixed units. I should have used eggs per fortnight in both cases. :evil:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:43 pm It's interesting to note that now that Ryan Long has qualified as a "superchampion" with 11 wins or more, that he has managed that feat with an average of only $19,027 per game. All of the 13 other superchampions averaged $20,000 or more, ranging from James Holtzhauer's $76,944 down to Julia Collins' $21,405.

To be able to maintain such a long streak while winning so little suggests especailly good luck in facing sub-par opposition, and perhaps that's part of it, but Ryan is no slouch, and he has impressed me with his knowledge, so I don't know. What do others think??
I haven’t really dug into it (obviously), but how much has Ryan left on the table by going with strategic FJ wagering over a lockout second place strategy? That has likely cut into his total somewhat, though I guess he has saved some money when he missed the final as well.

So he hasn’t been flashy like others we have seen. He doesn’t appear to be as quick as Mattea. Isn’t putting up the big scores like Matt or Amy. He probably is close to Jonathan in skill level, though I have nothing in front of me to back that up with.

He will be a worthy 4th or 5th seed, though.

Regardless, I am really loving his streak partially because it isn’t pure dominance. It is doing just enough to keep winning. And he seems to have a good story as well.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Longfellow writing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

I didn't recognize the lyrics, but when prompted disco Queen, I would have guessed Donna Summer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:43 pm It's interesting to note that now that Ryan Long has qualified as a "superchampion" with 11 wins or more
Redditors trying to make "superchampion" redefinition happen
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:27 pm
Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:43 pm It's interesting to note that now that Ryan Long has qualified as a "superchampion" with 11 wins or more
That is so fetch.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:37 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:27 pm
That is so fetch.
:lol: