Tuesday, May 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re interrupt this interruption to bring you...

Post by jeff6286 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Ha! First NBC's Brian Williams interrupts Johnny Gilbert to introduce the President's speech, then local weatherman interrupts Brian Williams to let us know about tornado warnings in the greater Indianapolis area. Gotta love it! He was brief, taking less than 30 seconds before sending us to the Presidential speech already in progress.

Suffice to say, I won't be seeing the show tonight, so if anyone wants to post the FJ clue and/or player scores, go for it.

7:30 Eastern? I guess Mr. President isn't a Jeopardy! fan. :(
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendneverdies

Re: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies » Tue May 01, 2012 6:09 pm

7:30PM EST Obama is going to be doing a broadcast on networks pep talk from Afghanistan, probably because of the first anniversary of the Bin Laden death being today. Meaning there'll be some East Coast preemptions where J! airs at 7:30PM.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Thought for sure Websites would be a 5/5, but I've never used Tumblr (I almost said Flickr on that one too), and NHO GoDaddy or Cnet.

Minute to Win It was my only get in "M" TV. NHO the bottom two shows. Also NHO Sue Monk Kidd, who seems to be a one-book wonder and gets only 3 other hits on the Archive.

"10 foot tall blue man group" had me thinking it was a film that literally had Blue Man Group in it. Thanks for trying way too hard to be clever.

0/5 in Math. I was furiously working on the simple problem at $400 but still got lost one number in. "Oh wait, what was my total again? Then subtract what? Oh crap, the clue's off the screen!"

I had nothing on FJ! I have never seen any of the LotR movies or read the books. I knew the word hobbit, but had literally no idea what it was.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

ACW

Post by ACW » Tue May 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Obama! Y U no let me watch Jeopardy!?

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue May 01, 2012 7:34 pm

ACW wrote:Obama! Y U no let me watch Jeopardy!?
Osama Bin Laden isn't letting you, the first anniversary of his bucket kick say you can't(until it gets uploaded tomorrow and the game except Final J! is already up at J-archive.com)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue May 01, 2012 7:40 pm

There are so many jokes that I, as a Republican, would like to make here…

…Also, he's not letting me watch Wheel. Would've been nice to know more than TEN MINUTES in advance. But hey, I already know a place where Wheel and J! are uploaded every day.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
There are so many jokes that I, as a Republican, would like to make here…

…Also, he's not letting me watch Wheel. Would've been nice to know more than TEN MINUTES in advance.
I heard about this pep talk about 3PM EST, during the beginning Let's Make a Deal on some CBS stations. NBC stations rejoined J! at the category reveal in DJ!, CBS ended its coverage and ABC is still yakking about the pep talk.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

The POTUS address allowed me to enter the game with ten clues left. Well, 10.1, since the first thing I heard was the correct response "What is star?" but no idea what the clue was.

Really? Not allowed to BMS on a DD? Was the clue very clear that you needed to name the specific geyser? Simply "geyser" seemed correct based upon the phrasing, though Old Faithful is more correct. It's like if the clue was, "He's the leader of the USA's executive branch of government." They may be seeking President Obama, but "Who is the President?" certainly would not be wrong.

4/30
SpoilerShow
I went to the Homeland yesterday, and got nowhere tonight, so unless I sweep the remainder I'm gonna have a sub-500 week Teen Week.
4/30
Last edited by Paucle on Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alamble

Post by alamble » Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Paucle wrote: Really? Not allowed to BMS on a DD?
It was DJ! They never prompt in DJ!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Hadn't remembered but those other terms for them, but it was pretty much an instaget nonetheless. I won't spoil in case someone comes looking for the clue. 2/3s of the show was pre-empted here by the speech.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Tue May 01, 2012 8:30 pm

alamble wrote:
Paucle wrote: Really? Not allowed to BMS on a DD?
It was DJ! They never prompt in DJ!
I have seen Alex say "Be more specific" in DJ. Here's a show from about a year ago, for example - check out the $1200 clue under "Wings and Things":
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3651

I think their practice is not to ask BMS if they adjudge the response so broad as to be wrong. Where that line is, I don't know. Maybe it's just one of those "I know it when I see it" things for the judges.
For example, in the DD under American Revolution, the contestant said "doctor" and Alex gave a BMS, after which the contestant correctly specified "dentist" (see the DD in American Revolution):
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=769
On the other hand, see the DD in the "Groups" category here:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1905
Last edited by Magna on Tue May 01, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Magna wrote:I think their practice is not to ask BMS if they adjudge the response so broad as to be wrong. Where that line is, I don't know. Maybe it's just one of those "I know it when I see it" things for the judges.
For example, in the DD under American Revolution, the contestant said "doctor" and Alex gave a BMS, after which the contestant correctly specified "dentist" (see the DD in American Revolution):
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=769
On the other hand, see the DD in the "Groups" category here:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1905
Thanks for digging for precedent!
I think I still have my whine. Of all the possible things one could see in a National Park, from the Everglades to Denali, he comes up with "geyser"? I don't blame him for not being so specific, either, since that's not the only one that is on such a strict schedule, IIRC; it's merely the most famous.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm

I got to see the entire show since the dull speech aired after J! ended. 2 good players with a ? FJ for me. I was thinking "ents or orcs" so I should have thought harder. Sharp kids got it though.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Paucle wrote:The POTUS address allowed me to enter the game with ten clues left. Well, 10.1, since the first thing I heard was the correct response "What is star?" but no idea what the clue was.
Same here. That's exactly where I rejoined.
Paucle wrote: I think I still have my whine. Of all the possible things one could see in a National Park, from the Everglades to Denali, he comes up with "geyser"? I don't blame him for not being so specific, either, since that's not the only one that is on such a strict schedule, IIRC; it's merely the most famous.
Indeed, Old Faithful isn't even on a strict schedule. The eruptions vary from about 45 minutes to almost 2 hours I think. It's certainly the most famous, but there are more "regular" ones. I definitely think he should have gotten a BMS, especially since he clearly had the right idea.
Last edited by marpocky on Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andromus

Post by Andromus » Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 pm

(Tiptoeing around spoilers) I'd better have gotten FJ right; I had the answer literally staring at me as I was playing as one of those in a game as the clue came up.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Re interrupt this interruption to bring you...

Post by Woof » Tue May 01, 2012 9:52 pm

jeff6286 wrote:Ha! First NBC's Brian Williams interrupts Johnny Gilbert to introduce the President's speech, then local weatherman interrupts Brian Williams to let us know about tornado warnings in the greater Indianapolis area. Gotta love it! He was brief, taking less than 30 seconds before sending us to the Presidential speech already in progress.

Suffice to say, I won't be seeing the show tonight, so if anyone wants to post the FJ clue and/or player scores, go for it.
WTHR cut out again for the weather just before (and into) FJ. What really fries me is that our local CBS affiliate also shows J! at the same time and we didn't think to switch over (bet your cable company doesn't carry WLFI, though).

DBear

Post by DBear » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm

FJ: "Which of you has played D&D? You win." :ugeek:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue May 01, 2012 10:50 pm

FJ Category: FICTIONAL BEINGS
FJ Clue: These fictional beings are also called periannath & halflings, but this familiar term means "hole-builders"

Sam: 7200 - 5000 = 2200 (fawn)
Anshika: 12,700 + 4701 = 17,401
Ben: 17,400 + 3000 = 20,400
SpoilerShow
Hobbit