Tuesday, May 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jkbrat »

Magna wrote:The terms halfling and hobbit are used quite a bit in the film adaptations, so anyone who has seen one or more of them had a pretty good shot at getting FJ right.
Hence my miss. Kind of a gaping hole in my background which I should probably remedy one of these days.
Magna wrote:And, fwiw, "fictional" to me suggested that they came from fiction (in the modern sense of being deliberately invented).
Yes, that is a good point. I didn't really appreciate that aspect (deliberate creation) of the term before.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mbclev wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote: They never prompt for the answer in the form of a question in DJ!, but they will still prompt for BMS.

Rex
Or on a Daily Double, regardless of the round! (Just ask David Siegel about that.)
But David Siegel misphrased in the DJ round. Do you know of anybody who misphrased on the J! round Daily Double? I don't doubt it's the case that people with the correct response but wrong phrasing are unilaterally ruled against on Daily Doubles, but I wouldn't mind having a specific example of it happening in the first round.

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote:I've think I've heard him mention QF winners from earlier in the week before, but can't say for sure.

Are QF games always aired in the order they are taped?

Yes. FIrst round heats (my preferred term, because that's what they are) are always sequential.

It would be nice if AT mentioned the winner of previous heats just before FJ! and show (only) the home audience the runner-up standings (this can easily be done in post-production with the in-studio contestants none the wiser) up to that point.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:The only time I played D&D was with a professional football player; a rather odd confluence.
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe? He's the only pro football player I know of who's a gamer.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:
alietr wrote:The only time I played D&D was with a professional football player; a rather odd confluence.
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe? He's the only pro football player I know of who's a gamer.
*nod* I know quite a few baseball players who are, but can't think of any football players off top of my head.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Johnblue wrote:I got to see the entire show since the dull speech aired after J! ended. 2 good players with a ? FJ for me. I was thinking "ents or orcs" so I should have thought harder. Sharp kids got it though.
I feel like an idiot because I immediately went to Tolkien but was thinking about things like orcs or elves, then I started thinking about trolls, and I can't even remember what I ended up writing down, but it definitely wasn't hobbit. That never even entered my mind for some reason.
legendneverdies wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
ACW wrote:Obama! Y U no let me watch Jeopardy!?
There are so many jokes that I, as a Republican, would like to make here…

…Also, he's not letting me watch Wheel. Would've been nice to know more than TEN MINUTES in advance.
I heard about this pep talk about 3PM EST, during the beginning Let's Make a Deal on some CBS stations. NBC stations rejoined J! at the category reveal in DJ!, CBS ended its coverage and ABC is still yakking about the pep talk.
Here in Indianapolis, our NBC affiliate rejoined and I was able to see the final 23 clues of Double Jeopardy, but then just before the FJ reveal they cut back away for local weather coverage, and never returned. I just now watched the rest of the show on Daily Motion.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

seaborgium wrote: But David Siegel misphrased in the DJ round. Do you know of anybody who misphrased on the J! round Daily Double? I don't doubt it's the case that people with the correct response but wrong phrasing are unilaterally ruled against on Daily Doubles, but I wouldn't mind having a specific example of it happening in the first round.
I remember someone getting negged after the first commercial break for being right on the first round DD but they checked the tape and they forgot the phrasing. Alex said they don't penalize in the first round for forgetting to phrase on a correct answer, unless it's on the DD.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote:
Matt Bahr.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

legendneverdies wrote:I remember someone getting negged after the first commercial break for being right on the first round DD but they checked the tape and they forgot the phrasing. Alex said they don't penalize in the first round for forgetting to phrase on a correct answer, unless it's on the DD.
I have a vague recollection of that. That's when I was wondering if you're allowed to correct yourself after Alex rules you correct but before you're ruled incorrect. Don't remember if I ever got a reply.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:
trainman wrote:
Matt Bahr.
Hey, you said football player, not kicker! :lol:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I've think I've heard him mention QF winners from earlier in the week before, but can't say for sure.

Are QF games always aired in the order they are taped?

Yes. FIrst round heats (my preferred term, because that's what they are) are always sequential.

It would be nice if AT mentioned the winner of previous heats just before FJ! and show (only) the home audience the runner-up standings (this can easily be done in post-production with the in-studio contestants none the wiser) up to that point.
They should just tell viewers to come to this board to see my wild card standings thread. :mrgreen:

Good point on fictional beings. I guess its just how you interpret it and for the second day in a row, misreading the meaning of something cost me in FJ.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:
trainman wrote:
Matt Bahr.
True, but he was a pro soccer player before he was a pro football player, so maybe that makes a difference? :mrgreen: .

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Paucle wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I'd have to see the wording, but I think he should have gotten a BMS on the DD.
Found this citation from a 2009 article on them by National Geographic:
Yellowstone's most famous geysers, especially Old Faithful, are known for the regularity
of their eruptions—it's a pattern solid enough for tourists to make plans around.

ok- based upon the wording which I just looked up, I guess simply "geyser" alone may have been insufficient. The clue reads,
"Discovered in 1870, this natural feature of a national park has been called "Eternity's Timepiece."

So the 1870 discovery plus the fact its nickname was there pins it to Old Faithful. Still and all, whereas it eliminated the non-specific answer, I think the BMS would've been a nice offer.
Found this, from the NPS:
http://mms.nps.gov/yell/ofvec/exhibits/ ... edict7.htm

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Paucle wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:I remember someone getting negged after the first commercial break for being right on the first round DD but they checked the tape and they forgot the phrasing. Alex said they don't penalize in the first round for forgetting to phrase on a correct answer, unless it's on the DD.
I have a vague recollection of that. That's when I was wondering if you're allowed to correct yourself after Alex rules you correct but before you're ruled incorrect. Don't remember if I ever got a reply.
I think I found it. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=851 (Searched for "reversed," then "penalized," then "penalize," which did the trick.) I guess adding "who is" after the correct response doesn't constitute phrasing in the form of a question. I wish they had Alex's words regarding the reversal archived (or if they are archived, then archived in a publicly visible place).

marpocky

Post by marpocky »

seaborgium wrote:I guess adding "who is" after the correct response doesn't constitute phrasing in the form of a question.
I guess Yoda's going to have a hard time winning.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wow, thanks for the research Stefan, but that can't be it. I didn't join the old boards until 2007, and that was a 2006 game.
Also, it wasn't anything as obvious as forgetting phrasing. It was along the lines of,
"What is Revelations?"
Alex "Yes, choose."
Contestant, "Er, "What is Revelation?" (knowing what was coming after the commercial.) "Bible Studies for 600 please."

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't get it. You respond to LND's post about someone getting negged after the fact for misphrasing on the J! Daily Double, I find the DD his post reminded me of, and then you say it wasn't a phrasing issue you remembered?