Thursday, June 2, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 2, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 pm Preempted here for Bidens address. I’ll be looking for it elsewhere.

ETA: Ok, now having seen it, I can comment but I was spoiled on FJ, alas. Again, second makes the suicide all-in bet *sigh*
I know the outcome doesn’t justify the wagering, but in this case, it didn’t matter as Ryan was forcing him to get it right to win.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I did not know about Jaipur's status as a pink city so that made FJ easier for me. "female Lawrence of Arabia" gives the impression of somebody who had to ride on a camel through a desert to get somewhere and that fits Petra better than Jaipur.

49R and 4/4 on big clues. I said decoagulant instead of anticoagulant but I think that would count. I said Iditarod instead of Nome, Clippers instead of Galleons, and Wood instead of Watts. Getting any of those right would have gotten me to the 50R mark.

Tom is a good candidate for the second chance tournament. He had 44 attempted buzz-ins to match Ryan and he only lost because he picked Jaipur instead of Petra.

Bold wager by Ryan, betting that Tom would get FJ wrong. Tom did well on world culture and geography questions throughout the game and the final category was UNESCO sites.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:05 pm How is anyone supposed to pull Petra from this clue other than guessing a famous site on or around the Arabian peninsula?

Lately, it feels as if the wrong FJ responses make much more sense than the correct ones. That's a very poor sign.
Since the "pink" reference had me mumbling to myself "A rose-red city half as old as time", the final line of a poem entitled "Petra", the right answer came from me instantly. I did, however, have enough time before the Think music wound down to ponder backup choices of Abu Simbel and Luxor.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Petra was my submission. Nothing pink about it to me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:05 pm How is anyone supposed to pull Petra from this clue other than guessing a famous site on or around the Arabian peninsula?

Lately, it feels as if the wrong FJ responses make much more sense than the correct ones. That's a very poor sign.
Second the motion. Not high-quality clues IMO.

Good clues distinguish between who knows stuff and who doesn't. Or between who can suss out correct answers from the elements of the clue, and who can't.

Bad clues are ones basically no one knows and no one can figure out from the hodgepodge of elements. Like this one.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 pm Preempted here for Bidens address. I’ll be looking for it elsewhere.

ETA: Ok, now having seen it, I can comment but I was spoiled on FJ, alas. Again, second makes the suicide all-in bet *sigh*
Try watching the last 15 games again and then re-evaluating that judgment of the wager.
Golf

Post by Golf »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:27 pm Try watching the last 15 games again and then re-evaluating that judgment of the wager.
2nd only has the last three games to draw any meaningful wagering info from in the studio, and none of those three would have provided him with any information on this situation and that Ryan doesn't cover a double up.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 pm

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:27 pm Try watching the last 15 games again and then re-evaluating that judgment of the wager.
2nd only has the last three games to draw any meaningful wagering info from in the studio, and none of those three would have provided him with any information on this situation and that Ryan doesn't cover a double up.
Regardless, betting big would have won Tom the game while betting small would have lost him the game, in the case of a double/triple get. Why criticize a wager that improved the player's chances of winning? This isn't to say that the outcome proves the wrongness or rightness of a wager, just to say that there are plenty of times when the suicide all-in bet actually costs someone a game, I don't see the need to jump on a player in a case where their bet was actually a savvy play.

It's also possible you could get a vibe from spending the day with Ryan and watching him through 4 games. Even if you haven't seem him fail to make a cover bet from the lead, you have seen him bet $1000 on DDs multiple times so he doesn't exactly exude a huge gambler vibe. It might be reasonable to suspect that he might not cover if it means risking most of his money. I can't say that any of this went through Tom's head when he chose to bet it all but I also can't prove it didn't!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The previous week was taped the day before, so Tom might have had that data available as well. In that case he would have seen Ryan wager less than the shutout three days in a row. Are they allowed to take notes?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:59 pm Regardless, betting big would have won Tom the game while betting small would have lost him the game, in the case of a double/triple get. Why criticize a wager that improved the player's chances of winning? This isn't to say that the outcome proves the wrongness or rightness of a wager, just to say that there are plenty of times when the suicide all-in bet actually costs someone a game, I don't see the need to jump on a player in a case where their bet was actually a savvy play.

It's also possible you could get a vibe from spending the day with Ryan and watching him through 4 games. Even if you haven't seem him fail to make a cover bet from the lead, you have seen him bet $1000 on DDs multiple times so he doesn't exactly exude a huge gambler vibe. It might be reasonable to suspect that he might not cover if it means risking most of his money. I can't say that any of this went through Tom's head when he chose to bet it all but I also can't prove it didn't!
In case anybody isn't familiar with the 4/5 scenario they should review it.

https://j-archive.com/help.php#fourfifths

It's a special case, which applies here, where second place can safely cover first place on a double solve if first place bets to not fall below second place, like Ryan did here. It also produces a win for second place if first place makes the standard wager to cover second place and they both get it wrong. It wouldn't have made any difference for Tom the way it played out but it isn't advisable to deviate from the standard wager in the 4/5 scenario.

For example if first place has 25,000 and second place has 20,000 - then second place should wager 10,000.

If first place wagers 4,999 then second place wins on a solve. If first place wagers the standard 15,001 and they both miss then second place wins 10,000 to 9,999.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:59 pm

Regardless, betting big would have won Tom the game while betting small would have lost him the game, in the case of a double/triple get. Why criticize a wager that improved the player's chances of winning?
Between 8,000 and 10,800 is much better than all-in
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:53 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:59 pm

Regardless, betting big would have won Tom the game while betting small would have lost him the game, in the case of a double/triple get. Why criticize a wager that improved the player's chances of winning?
Between 8,000 and 10,800 is much better than all-in
This is reasonable but you also win $10k more if you go all in and get it right. Maybe he thought the category was a strong suit.

I don't argue the 4/5 point made above but I also don't expect many players to take advantage of it
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Heh, snooker. Neil Robertson got a 147 earlier this year in the championships
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... n-lisowski
It's...very weird, snooker. At the time I found a video of it, but not anymore...strange.
John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am Bad clues are ones basically no one knows and no one can figure out from the hodgepodge of elements. Like this one.
I guess I'm no one...

They spot you the location, Arabia.
And maybe it's because I only know like...11 colors by name, but 'pink' then took me straight here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Petra.jpg
Maybe that's not pink but I don't have any color frame of reference that's closer
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:07 am I guess I'm lucky I didn't know Jaipur is known as the "Pink City" because Petra was the only thing that came to mind.
Same
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:02 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:07 am I guess I'm lucky I didn't know Jaipur is known as the "Pink City" because Petra was the only thing that came to mind.
Same
Me too. Yay, ignorance!
earendel

Post by earendel »

I got it from a line in a poem - "rose-red Petra, half as old as time" - by John William Burgon.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This episode did not air in my market owing to a CBS News Special Report, President Biden's remarks on gun violence.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Not meaning to rub it in, but since Robert reminded me and if anyone is interested, TCM is airing the short film "Jaipur, the Pink City" on July 2nd at 8:19 AM.