Tuesday, June 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote: I guessed Stone Temple Pilots
Way better than not ringing in.
Mostly because I can't distinguish the difference between Pearl Jam, S-T-P, and Alice in Chains when hearing them on the radio. About the only song that I like well enough to have comitted learning who sings it is Rooster.
I probably would have stayed clam if I were on the show.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:48 am
danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote: I guessed Stone Temple Pilots
Way better than not ringing in.
Mostly because I can't distinguish the difference between Pearl Jam, S-T-P, and Alice in Chains when hearing them on the radio. About the only song that I like well enough to have comitted learning who sings it is Rooster.
I probably would have stayed clam if I were on the show.
Lol, David Spade, when he first got famous as a nasty guy on Saturday Night Live reviewed the Stone Temple Pilots concert and said he heard it last month when it was called Pearl Jam.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

When this FJ aired in 2006, I briefly considered Haldeman and Ehrlichman but I think I rejected both as past their freshness date even before the significance of Alex's accented reading sank in.

Regarding Agnew as a possibility, he never was really an administration insider, and perhaps his own scandal kept him too busy to get seriously involved in Watergate. In any case, his name seldom arises in accounts of the matter.

I once posted on a Learned League thread a question that asked for a Watergate criminal (i.e., convicted) whose first and last names are both names of posh Manhattan prep schools. I don't believe anyone answered, and it is true you need a deep knowledge of both Watergate and posh Manhattan prep schools to have a real chance.
Spoiler
Dwight Chapin
I'm smart and I want respect.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:53 pm What an absolute stinker of a FJ...

From this clue, how could anyone differentiate the correct response from Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell, Zeigler, Liddy, Hunt, et cetera, et cetera...
Here's how: First note the word "said" in the clue, followed by quotation marks indicating a direct quote, not a paraphrase. This indicates that whoever said this in June 1972 was being recorded on tape, otherwise he couldn't have been quoted verbatim. What are the famous tapes relating to the Watergate scandal? The White House Tapes, which recorded conversations in the Oval Office. From that, deduce that this quotation was either said by Nixon, or said to him. But the quotation is an order being given, so it must have been the President speaking to someone who works for him, not the other way around.

The "comedy of errors" line is not obscure, it comes from the Smoking Gun tape released on August 5, 1974, which led to Nixon's resignation a few days later. The line was quoted a couple of weeks ago, in a piece published in Politico.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Eric was hoping to find DD-3 in Communications - ended up being in Partners in Rhyme.

If Barry gets FJ correct, the final scores are:
Megan $17,201
Eric $17,199
Barry: $17,000

Other than the three-way tie and triple zero game, I would assume this would have been the closest margin between three players in history? The fact that Barry made a bet that had no chance of winning regardless of what happens in FJ is interesting and potentially something that could have kept him awake at night for the rest of his life.

Looking forward to Eric in the TOC, but he certainly won’t be protected in this crazy field. I can see him competing in the Matt or Amy game.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

yclept wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:13 am Other than the three-way tie and triple zero game, I would assume this would have been the closest margin between three players in history?
You'd also have to exclude the $1 wins by Darryl Scott in 1993 and Manny Abell in 2017. Not sure if there are others. Maybe restrict it to games where all three players ended above 0 and see what turns up.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:59 pm I guessed Stone Temple Pilots
Pffffttt! They weren't even around in 1972.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:45 pm Megan knew what Eric was very likely to bet and she countered it. (Nothing against Megan) I like to imagine an alternate reality where Barry figures out Megan's strategy, solves the FJ! clue and wins with 17202.
I like to imagine a reality where contestants know how to wager. :lol:

Megan obviously forgot about Barry. But Barry made a truly laughable wager as he forfeited any chance of passing Eric, assuming Eric wagers rationally from the lead.
When she left $2,800 behind when she hit DD3 and was way behind should have told you not to expect a great FJ wager from her. I really wish Barry had gotten it right.

Was the FJ clue lacking? Yes. But I have two words for those that missed. Occam's Razor. And now those that missed probably have two words for me as well. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I decided if it wasn’t Nixon, it could be one of a dozen people with nothing really pointing to any of them. I was five when the break-in happened so I have no real memory of the events. Most of the big names are familiar to me but I really don’t remember who did what. So the KISS principle seemed the best course of action.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:48 am About the only song that I like well enough to have comitted learning who sings it is Rooster.
Good choice 8-)
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

yclept wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:13 am Other than the three-way tie and triple zero game, I would assume this would have been the closest margin between three players in history?
Here's one that's closer, though it's from the pre-doubled era: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2328
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:45 pm The clue had me knowing where to go with it. For the who I matched Megan as I was not going to spin a wheel of other names when I sensed it was better to go basic.
I matched Eric's response with John Dean. I sensed that going too basic was the trap to be avoided. Also, "Don't lie" sounds more like the advice the legal counsel would give. I would've expected the correct response figure to say, "Just lie".
My thinking exactly.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

Spum wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm A magical spirit of Arabic lore who might need a good bottle opener
(5 letters)

I answered djinn. Judges?
I hadn't heard of a wine genie before, so I also replied "What is djinn?" I'm not sure whether it would be accepted, but after much consideration I finally decided to give myself credit for it, at least tentatively. None of the other clues in that category depended on homophones like djinn/gin. That category has apparently never been used before, so contestants can't necessarily be expected to know that homophones don't enter into it. I'm not much of a cruciverbalist. Would djinn ever be the correct answer to a real crossword puzzle clue worded that way?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

bibliophage wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:45 pm
Spum wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm A magical spirit of Arabic lore who might need a good bottle opener
(5 letters)

I answered djinn. Judges?
I hadn't heard of a wine genie before, so I also replied "What is djinn?" I'm not sure whether it would be accepted, but after much consideration I finally decided to give myself credit for it, at least tentatively. None of the other clues in that category depended on homophones like djinn/gin. That category has apparently never been used before, so contestants can't necessarily be expected to know that homophones don't enter into it. I'm not much of a cruciverbalist. Would djinn ever be the correct answer to a real crossword puzzle clue worded that way?
Pretty sure you weren't meant to think beyond "genie in a bottle". As you say, it was not a homophone category. "Genie" was surely the expected answer, but they'd have had to accept djinn as well.

Though there were cryptic elements to these J! clues, they didn't follow formula for a cryptic crossword, and for a regular crossword they are very wordy and a whole puzzle full of them would quickly become tiresome. So while you may someday (though probably not soon, as "J" is a tough letter) see "djinn" as an answer, you are quite unlikely ever to see "A magical spirit of Arabic lore who might need a good bottle opener" as a clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.